A Puzzle for Those with Elite Chinese

From Pleco's《现代汉语规范词典》running on iPhone 3GS:

崴 wai3
1] 【名】...(irrelevant)
2] 【动】同"?"。现在一般写作"?"。

Note that there are only two definitions given; that means that 2) refers to the common usage as in "上山时不小心崴了脚". I can't imagine how there could be a character more common than "崴", and used in place of "崴", but that Pleco is unable to display.

What character could the "?" possibly be referring to?

The folks at chinese-forums helped me out with this one. The newer version of 现代汉语规范词典 for this character is completely different from the outdated version that Pleco uses.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
欧阳海 said:
The folks at chinese-forums helped me out with this one. The newer version of 现代汉语规范词典 for this character is completely different from the outdated version that Pleco uses.

Indeed, and we'd love to get our hands on the updated version if the publisher would come through for us on it.

Thanks to Google....

崴[wǎi] 发音播放
1. 崴子(多用于地名)
2. 现在一般写作""。
http://www.nciku.cn/search/all/%E5%B4%B4

Wenlin's entry for the character:
==== 昄 [bǎn] [pān] [pàn] [piàn] (Unihan:) big
No single-syllable words currently in dictionary. (nor bigrams, trigrams, either.)

To illustrate the point I made elsewhere of the need for reliable frequency data, ranks at 6,931 in the '93-'94 Usenet Newsgroup Corpus but nowhere in JunDa's 9,933 frequency list and isn't even on Wenlin's frequency list.

feng

榜眼
For what it is worth, Google gives the following hit counts:
昄 279,000
崴 9,820,000

[Edit: 昄 has a completely different meaning than 崴, according to 漢典 online dictionary. ]

A few years ago I had contacted Jun Da about using Google for frequency rating. He was not receptive. I have thus far been too lazy to feed characters in one by one -- though don't dare me, I may do it -- hoping there was a way someone with programming ability could just dump several thousand characters in at once and let Google sort it out. Is such a thing possible? If not, I might go one by one maybe using the Taiwan 4,808 list or the China 3,500 or 5,500 lists and do it over a couple months. I have never liked these various lists floating around which massage the numbers with weightings and such. Google would theoretically give an average weighting, including from intentionally and accidentally mistyped characters which are something one encounters. Of course, if one is only interested in the classical language or only interested in modern fiction, Google ranked results would be at a disadvantage.

Your thoughts?