3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, we realized that 'tap to pause' was accidentally brought over to New OCR when we never intended to - 'tap to resume' conflicts with selecting / scrolling characters when paused and has never worked with New OCR. If you turn off New OCR 'tap to pause' should work fine, though.

If we get a lot of complaints about this after we launch 4.0 with "New OCR" only, we might consider adding adding an option to bring it back at the cost of disabling that scrolling/selection feature, but we're changing a bunch of other stuff about the OCR UI too and we're hopeful we won't need to.

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

I've found a non-critical bug.

While studying Flashcards, tap-holding the dictionary abbreviation in the lower right corner and then tapping the last dictionary in the menu (abbreviated as END here) takes me to an incorrect dictionary, namely SCM (see the attached ZIP file with a movie inside).

The second-last dictionary and all the other dictionaries above it do come up. The dictionary settings in Manage Dicts are identical.

Regards,

Shun

Attachments

• Switching dictionary in Flashcards 480p.mov.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:

laobaigou

举人
Unfortunately no, not possible to revert to older versions on iOS. My guess is that those APIs will go away entirely in iOS 17 or 18, so the feature probably wasn't going to be long for this world in any case.
I asked about this earlier, but had just been using the "old" feature with my old iPad, but I finally bit the bullet, and installed smb so now using IOS 'Files' I can easily move files onto my new(er) iPad, but how do I slurp these files from a Files directory into File Manager / Documents in Pleco to read them? Thanks, as always!

*** duh! OK found it! Never mind. Reader / Open Document / Choose Reader File (scroll to bottom) / click) External Files (opens smb directory)

Last edited:

Abun

榜眼
No, we can fix them, just have to add that to our to-do list :)
Thank you. I just found another one: Both FHD and HDD list the TC for 机构 as 方针. If I find any more in the future, I’ll just open a new thread so this one doesn’t become cluttered.

Alexis

状元
Just noticed that mixed character/phonetic search doesn't seem to work (at least for this particular case) for Cantonese

先zhao returns 先兆
先siu does not return 先兆 (but should)

Spyral

举人
I just realized that when using the reader the last character on a line is not clickable. Only when using the arrows on the bottom is it selectable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... did you maybe just install iOS 17? Could be something to do with that, a bug in its PDF viewer on some devices that we didn't see in the betas. What model of iOS device is this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, probably that then - we're planning to wait another week or so to make sure there aren't any obscure hardware bugs on the new iPhone 15 and then do a minor bug fix update to cover both those + iOS 17, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a fix.

kiraven

举人
Hi Mike, I originally came here to report that tap to pause isn’t working for me. Read though in this thread that it is not supported/supposed to work in New OCR. Perhaps worth to hide it on the settings then or mention it? Wouldn’t have tried so long then

Related to this, two potential bugs:

OCR doesn’t seem to pause when going to OCR history. On the big phone screen, I’m now often not quick enough to hit pause before the definition changes. Therefore tried to go via history. The OCR history continuously seemed to fill with new entries though why it was open “below my finger”, leading to different entries being opened than the one I thought I touched (with the latter moving down).

Finally, probably too minor to fix: if the dictionary is opened via history in OCR, and therefore only an overlay, the iOS define function does not work (can press define, but the definition does not open).

Claas

hello, your software is really awesome. I love Pleco! Since the update to iPadOS 17 the following has happened: I change the app e.g. Use Google Translate to copy a text, then return to Pleco and the app will completely reload. I open a flash card and when I leave Pleco, use another app and return, the flash card input field is gone again. I read in the Apple forum that memory management in the new operating system has become very restrictive. I use the iPad 7th generation. Best regards, Claas

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

I'm afraid we don't have a great solution to this problem at the moment - if the system needs a lot of memory for another app there isn't a lot we can do to prevent it from evicting ours. We are working to improve our state restoration support so that you'll have to go to less effort to reconstruct what you were doing when this happens, and hopefully with later iOS 17 updates Apple will tweak the memory management to leave more maneuvering room for background apps, but when our app is in the background we're pretty much at the mercy of the operating system as far as how long it stays open.

cores

Hi, my pleco is crashing regularly since I use the iphone 15. I have latest ios17 and it always freezes when I do a flashcard test. I switch from mute to non-mute in the notification center and then it crashes. I am not 100% sure it is always when I unmute but it could well be. Quite annoying as also I need to redo some of the flashcards as the test restarts.
All the best, Tobias

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. Could you email us (support@pleco.com) a copy of your crash logs? Or send them to me as a PM?

To get at your crash logs, go into the system Settings app, Privacy & Security, Analytics & Improvements (near the bottom), Analytics Data, scroll down to the list of reports starting with "Pleco", and send us any from around the time of this crash (tap on it and you should see a 'share' button at the top right corner).