3.2.10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we need to make those settings more granular but that's how it's expected to work at the moment.

Alexis

状元
Hi Mike,

Would it be possible to have the C-E search toggle (to the right of the search field), only search Mandarin, only search Cantonese, or both? Perhaps CM to only search Mandarin, and CC to only search Cantonese, and C For the existing functionality (both). Only would show up if user also had Cantonese dictionaries installed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already doable - just create a new dictionary group (Settings / Manage Dictionary Groups - a powerful and little-used screen) with all of your Mandarin dictionaries + Mandarin search, and create another one with all of your Cantonese dictionaries + Cantonese search.

etm001

状元
Hi,

I noticed earlier in this thread posts about tone colors - are there still known bugs with tone colors and flashcards? Tone colors are not working consistently in the flashcard module, including:
  • Not displaying tone colors when the card is first shown (pinyin is shown).
  • Not displaying tone colors after revealing the card answer, or removing the tone color after the answer is revealed.
  • Not displaying tone colors for some dictionary entries when cycling through dictionary definitions from the flashcard screen.
I don't see any common pattern and this does not happen with every card. I use night mode, and have "color head words by tone" enabled, and all other tone settings turned off. Tone colors are Pleco defaults. This is on an iPad, iOS 9.2, Pleco 3.2.10.

On a side note: after updating to the latest KEY dictionary, I noticed that the definitions for some flashcards were missing/unlinked, and I had to manually relink them. Not really a big deal, though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not any known bugs there, no. Sounds like they're probably all related to the same bug - could you send me a backup of your flashcard database?

etm001

状元
Not any known bugs there, no. Sounds like they're probably all related to the same bug - could you send me a backup of your flashcard database?

Sorry I didn't realize you had replied. I will forward a backup of my database separately.

jlnr

进士
Two minor issues in the flashcards module:

1. I wanted to map my custom card for 一般而論 to a dictionary entry. When I tapped "Convert to dict-based", Pleco suggested to map it to the entry for 多心, apparently because 多心 uses the phrase 一般而論 in its first example sentence. Took me a while to figure out how I got to a completely unrelated card... Maybe the matching algorithm for "Convert to dict-based" should ignore example sentences and just tell me that my dictionaries don't have a card for 一般而論? (A good opportunity to upsell me better dictionaries, too :p)
2. Deleting cards via the "card info" screen ("delete card" button at the bottom) from inside a flashcard session results in a white/empty flashcard screen. (At this point I am usually scared to lose data and just cancel the session immediately...) Deleting cards via the dedicated "delete card" button in the flashcard area works and skips ahead to the next card. Deleting a card from inside "card info" should simply do the same.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) That one's a bug, thanks.
2) Also a bug, but no need to be worried about losing data from this, so you can continue along merrily with the session.

image.jpg

gr is empty

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Looking like it'll be 3.3, or we may even call it 4.0 since the scope of it is pretty massive - I'd say about 2/3 of the known-bugs-that-a-significant-number-of-people-care-about can only be fixed by large changes that demand beta testing, so unless something else pops up in iOS 9.3 (unlikely, we've already got hundreds of people using it happily) or 9.4 or the early iOS 10 betas it's unlikely we'll do another minor update before that.

And while the full feature list is very much subject to change I can say the big tentpoles so far are a flashcard / user dictionary data revamp (as I've alluded to in a few other places - custom "fields" at last, embeddable media, etc) and App Extensions (finally!). Also just added text editing support to our custom text view last week, so it should now be possible to edit large text files in Pleco very quickly and without losing your place.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's just really hard to do new features incrementally on iOS in an app as complicated as ours - on two different occasions in 2015 we released a minor update with a few feature changes that turned out to introduce a serious bug for some % of our users that they then had to live with for a week because of App Review. So every time we flirt with the idea of releasing a few nice features at a time in monthly updates, the realities of App Store development push us back to these big, heavily-beta-tested releases with the endless waits between them.

On Android, if we screw things up we can have a fix out in a few hours, which is why despite running on pretty much the same version of our cross-platform engine code Android is on version 3.2.26 and iOS is on version 3.2.10 :), but except when we're doing something Android-specific like Screen Reader we're pretty much stuck following the same schedule so that the two versions maintain file compatibility / (approximate) feature parity / etc.

pdwalker

状元
I do understand that. My comment was more of "I'm really looking forward to the next release" and not so much of "wah wah, hurry up, I'm entitled".

PS: I've had several people purchase your software after I showed it off to them.

Shun

状元
Hi,

when entering a German word like "auslösen", Pleco also finds "auslosen". (see screenshot; the same happens when entering "auslosen") Now that there's the big paid German dictionary, could one add the option to distinguish all umlauts?

Thanks!

image.png

Last edited:
It's just really hard to do new features incrementally on iOS in an app as complicated as ours - on two different occasions in 2015 we released a minor update with a few feature changes that turned out to introduce a serious bug for some % of our users that they then had to live with for a week because of App Review. So every time we flirt with the idea of releasing a few nice features at a time in monthly updates, the realities of App Store development push us back to these big, heavily-beta-tested releases with the endless waits between them.

On Android, if we screw things up we can have a fix out in a few hours, which is why despite running on pretty much the same version of our cross-platform engine code Android is on version 3.2.26 and iOS is on version 3.2.10 :), but except when we're doing something Android-specific like Screen Reader we're pretty much stuck following the same schedule so that the two versions maintain file compatibility / (approximate) feature parity / etc.

Thanks, sounds good Mike.

Is there any way CC-CEDICT could get updated on a more regular basis (say, at least once every 2 months)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Shun - yeah, we have to add an alternate indexer for languages where diacritical marks matter - current one is built around English where most of our diacritical marks come from loan words like résumé and tête-à-tête and do not differentiate them from other English words with otherwise identical letters.

@goldyn chyld - we usually do keep up at least that pace for much of the year, it's only when we get deep into a big update like the one we're working on now that the updates tend to get stalled a bit.

We're actually thinking about offering weekly CC-CEDICT (and PLC, and CC-Canto) updates as one of the perks of the new cloud service we're working on.