3.1 Beta Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You know what to do. (no free testing slots unless you're jailbroken - if you are then shoot us an email)

Shun

状元
Running Pleco 3.1 Beta on an iPad 3, I added some items to the new right-swipe toolbar. The first time I added about 6 items, the toolbar stayed blank. Going back into Settings, the toolbar items I set had also disappeared. This only happened the first time I made a setting; the second time I added fewer items, they stayed.

Some UI points: Personally, I would prefer the right toolbar items to be at the top of the screen rather than at the bottom, or perhaps even better, centered at middle height. What I think would be very nice to look at and work with would be a slightly transparent, circular dial of larger icons that comes out of the right edge and feels somewhat similar to the Mac OS X Dock's behavior. (like the very left part of a circle) The larger icons could be self-explanatory, so they could come without any text description on the right side, making the right sidebar narrower and covering up less of the screen. But maybe if you are planning to extend the right sidebar to be populated like the left sidebar, this wouldn't be feasible. Alternatively, the sidebar could be made only as high as the items it contains.

I think it's a little harder to make the right-swipe sidebar appear than the others. The sidebar on the left and especially the iOS 7 sidebar from the bottom seem to be much more sensitive. Only when I swipe in quite slowly from the right edge does the right sidebar appear regularly.

mikeo

榜眼
Very happy to confirm that these two have been fixed in beta:

Fixed a different bug that made it very difficult to tap on the dictionary switch button in the popup reader bubble.

Fixed a bug that could cause entries from the Chengyu Cidian to come up for unrelated searches.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
afritzse - thanks! Not sure why it wouldn't update correctly, have to investigate that.

As far as positioning goes: this is a case of our being a little gun-shy after 3.0; locking it to the bottom is an effort not to tie our hands too much later - if we float it in the center now and then decide we really want to put something else on top, we end up with a bunch of people annoyed that it's not working as well for them as it used to. The bottom is almost certainly the best position on iPhone for quick / one-handed operation, also, so we're a little worried about inconsistency if we locate it somewhere else on iPad.

Once we do settle on what we're going to do with the rest of the space in the sidebar, though, we can certainly consider an alternate position for the favorites items. The general design of the menu is certainly up for grabs in future releases, too - we're a bit limited now because of our continuing to support iOS 6; once we drop that, it gets much easier to consider translucent overlays instead of flat gray bars.

As for the right swipe - we'll double-check but I don't believe there's any way for us to customize that; UIScreenEdgePanGestureRecognizer isn't very configurable, all it lets us do is tell it which side of the screen to look for movement from. But it could be that something else is interfering with it detecting swipes correctly (another gesture overriding it e.g.).

mikeo - great!

Alexis

状元
Mike, great update! Especially the better ordering of single character results. Favorites are great too.

Highlighting the headword/pronunciation does not work well when in the Stroke/Chars/Words tab. Works fine in Dict/Sents.

Also, might be intentional, but you can't pull up the favourites when you are OCRing a static image ( swipe from right drags the picture around instead).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

The OCR one is intentional, but you can still access the favorites menu by dragging from the right edge within the top or bottom toolbar. (also true in the document reader with pagination active)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it, thanks - we actually made them work better in a bunch of other documents so we're puzzled as to why they're not working in this one. (funny choice of document, also - 刘月华 was my Chinese teacher for a year back in college)

Hey Mike,

I wanted to install the beta but it wouldn't let me for some reason. It's probably because somehow my previous beta got deleted when I did a clean install+restore of iOS 7 a couple of weeks ago?

Shun

状元
Smooth sailing so far, just one thing in Flashcards: When I do a Self-graded test and tell it to show the Audio and reveal parts separately, there should be three Reveal buttons instead of two: Headword, Pinyin, and Definition. Right now it's Headword and Pinyin, and the Definition is shown together with the first Reveal. If you'd rather not make the buttons smaller, perhaps one could reveal the Definition only when pressing "Reveal Entire Card"? After all, when pressing "Reveal headword", I usually want only that and try to guess the other parts.

Alexis

状元
Bug when selecting text in pop-up bubble when keyboard is open:

1) Go to a definition
2) Click in the search bar to open the keyboard
3) Click on some Chinese text in the definition
4) Press and hold on a keyword in pop-up bubble
5) (Bubble dissapears)
6) Try 3 and 4 again
6) (Keyboard disappears, but search/add/speak/clipboard/arrows toolbar stays)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - thanks; some wackiness relating to our (perhaps ill-advised) addition of the system "Copy" menu for the sake of people who were confused by our own; think we need to go back to our old 2.x approach of using a custom menu that doesn't interfere with the iOS text input system.

dcarpent

榜眼
Sorry I can't contribute to the beta test. I bought a new iPad Air and Testflight no longer works (but I love the iPad Air!)

I had an idea of a feature that I would find very useful, though I don't know how you would implement it, or if it is even possible. When looking through the list of words containing a given character, there is the "Words Beginning" section followed by the "Words Containing" section. I often want to quickly look at the most common words in both lists, and find it a bit awkward to scroll down to the first word in the "Words Containing" list (hard to scroll just the right amount to hit the first word in the list). The feature that I have in mind would be some way to automatically skip to the head of the second "Word Containing" list after looking at the beginning of the "Words Beginning" list, maybe a way to toggle between the two lists in the same view without scrolling at all. Is anything like this possible? Not a big deal, but it would be a nice convenience.

Shun

状元
On my iPad, collapsing and expanding the sections works as a solution to dcarpent's question, though for the character 让 I only get the sections "Antonyms" and "Words Containing". Version 3.0.0 on an iPhone keeps Words Containing and Words Beginning separate, but the sections aren't collapsible. The optimum for me would be to have Synonyms, Antonyms, Words Beginning, and Words Containing collapsible and for all important words. I think you said that's coming, or can be purchased as an Add-on. Thanks!

Last edited:

denmitch

探花
Looks good, Mike!
Had trouble accessing jump to favorites in the Reader but you answered that one. Like the improvements!
Like the Multi-character stroke order diagrams, swiping between all of the characters in a word is cool!
Like the jump to favorites.
I look forward to seeing the new popup reader bubble remain centered if locked to the bottom of the screen on an iPad (beta on iPhone) and all the other bug fixes too!