2.2.13 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Shun

状元
mikelove said:
But after you reboot the phone, does Pleco stay fast for a while, or does it slow down even if you're just staying within it? Also, do you do a lot of flashcard exports or database backups?

I don't do exports or database backups often. If I reboot the iPhone, then only use Pleco until it gets slow, it may take a long time. (because there is so much free memory) When it did happen, I always had other apps open. I'll try it anyway.

I can't tell if it's a memory leak in Pleco or a memory leak in other apps, or if just the sheer number of background apps is the culprit. If you can't reproduce it, it would be great if I could send you a memory image, but that doesn't seem to be possible under iOS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
afritzse said:
I can't tell if it's a memory leak in Pleco or a memory leak in other apps, or if just the sheer number of background apps is the culprit. If you can't reproduce it, it would be great if I could send you a memory image, but that doesn't seem to be possible under iOS.

Sadly no, but we're going to do a whole bunch of leak testing for the big update anyway so hopefully we'll catch it then.

moelicious

秀才
I am facing a bug while trying to add new flashcards. Looking up a vocabulary, I can add it to my flashcards by pressing the small "+" on the bottom menu. But whenever I highlight the characters and want to add it by pressing the other "+" on the black menu at the top of the screen, my Pleco just crashes. Tried rebooting the iPad and opening Pleco again, but it keeps happening. Should i re-install Pleco and re-download all the add-ons?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
moelicious said:
I am facing a bug while trying to add new flashcards. Looking up a vocabulary, I can add it to my flashcards by pressing the small "+" on the bottom menu. But whenever I highlight the characters and want to add it by pressing the other "+" on the black menu at the top of the screen, my Pleco just crashes. Tried rebooting the iPad and opening Pleco again, but it keeps happening. Should i re-install Pleco and re-download all the add-ons?

Hmm, I don't think we've had a report of this one yet, and checking it on an iPad here I'm not seeing any problems - which model of iPad do you have, and are you running the latest versions of iOS and of Pleco on it? Have you changed any settings related to flashcard creation?

moelicious

秀才
I am using iPad 3, always the latest version of Pleco and iOS. On my iPhone I am not facing this problem, and it's not a big deal, i just wanted to report it. My flashcard options are: Duplicate cards - prompt; tap-hold list to add - deactivated; popup on card add - activated; w/ cat name - activated; default category - some category; change on tab-hold - activated; always prompt for cat - activated; multi-level cat prompt - activated. Maybe I will just do a fresh install, i guess that should clean up everything.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
moelicious said:
I am using iPad 3, always the latest version of Pleco and iOS. On my iPhone I am not facing this problem, and it's not a big deal, i just wanted to report it. My flashcard options are: Duplicate cards - prompt; tap-hold list to add - deactivated; popup on card add - activated; w/ cat name - activated; default category - some category; change on tab-hold - activated; always prompt for cat - activated; multi-level cat prompt - activated. Maybe I will just do a fresh install, i guess that should clean up everything.

Try turning off multi-level cat prompt - does that help?

sandwich

举人
Not sure if its known, (probably is), but seems to be a minor bug with entries that have a "-" in their headword. Using the 21c dictionary, do a search for "end on", select "end- on" and then try changing dictionary and note that pleco swaps to "end on" and wont go back to "end- on".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure if its known, (probably is), but seems to be a minor bug with entries that have a "-" in their headword. Using the 21c dictionary, do a search for "end on", select "end- on" and then try changing dictionary and note that pleco swaps to "end on" and wont go back to "end- on".

Thanks - checking on this end it looks like we've already addressed this for the big update.

sandwich

举人
Hey Mike, has the 21st Century dictionary been cleaned up for the next version? There seem to be a few entries that have markup tags and/or missing characters in their entries. Off the top of my head I can only remember "realize" ⑤, but there are more; specifically I'm seeing "She realized $ <fd/> 30,000 [snip]" ( is U+EA96, also note that the "She realized" is red).

I can report others as find them, but is there any point?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hey Mike, has the 21st Century dictionary been cleaned up for the next version? There seem to be a few entries that have markup tags and/or missing characters in their entries. Off the top of my head I can only remember "realize" ⑤, but there are more; specifically I'm seeing "She realized $ <fd/> 30,000 [snip]" ( is U+EA96, also note that the "She realized" is red).

I can report others as find them, but is there any point?

We already did a huge cleanup of it last year - we can add this particular glitch to our bug file, but in general we consider that database to be in pretty good shape now.

chris26

Hey, I'm using Pleco 2.2.13 on both an iPhone 4 and iPad 4, both with the latest iOS and I've been having a problem for a while now whilst using the OCR's Block Recogniser. Basically everything works fine for a while, and then eventually there'll be an issue where when I tap on a word, the definition will show up but straight onto the picture, without the normal white background, and then after tapping on a few more words, everything will just crash and shut down. This happens every time I have the same photo open in block recogniser for more than 15 minutes or so. I haven't seen this issue mentioned anywhere else, but it's driving me crazy! Thanks a lot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hey, I'm using Pleco 2.2.13 on both an iPhone 4 and iPad 4, both with the latest iOS and I've been having a problem for a while now whilst using the OCR's Block Recogniser. Basically everything works fine for a while, and then eventually there'll be an issue where when I tap on a word, the definition will show up but straight onto the picture, without the normal white background, and then after tapping on a few more words, everything will just crash and shut down. This happens every time I have the same photo open in block recogniser for more than 15 minutes or so. I haven't seen this issue mentioned anywhere else, but it's driving me crazy! Thanks a lot!

Thanks - we've had a few other reports of this, but after spending a tremendous amount of time investigating it we still haven't come up with an explanation; there doesn't seem to be a memory leak or any of the other classes of bugs that would ordinarily be expected to cause something like this.

So we're looking now at ways we might work around this in spite of not knowing the cause, but it may be a little while yet before we actually get that figured out. In the meantime my best suggestion would be that you downscale the photos to a lower resolution - the OCR system doesn't mind (it's designed for relatively low-res text, in fact) and doing that seems to improve stability by quite a lot.

Azimuth

秀才
The pinyin tone number buttons don't work for me: a search for 'gong' gives the same results as 'gong3' or 'gong4' or whatever. Results are still sorted in order: gong1, then gong2, gong3, gong4. I read on a previous thread that resetting all settings to default might fix this, but I'm loathe to do this as there'll be no easy way to get back to my preferred settings, short of writing down the state of all the options as I currently have them. No small task, given all the nested sub-menus of options...but is that my only option?

I'm using pleco 2.2.13 on a 3GS, iOS 6.1.3. Unhelpfully, I don't know when this problem started - it might have been like this for a while.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The pinyin tone number buttons don't work for me: a search for 'gong' gives the same results as 'gong3' or 'gong4' or whatever. Results are still sorted in order: gong1, then gong2, gong3, gong4. I read on a previous thread that resetting all settings to default might fix this, but I'm loathe to do this as there'll be no easy way to get back to my preferred settings, short of writing down the state of all the options as I currently have them. No small task, given all the nested sub-menus of options...but is that my only option?

Turn off the "replace" option for the tone panel and that'll fix it - it's an issue with the text input system (newly introduced in iOS 6.1) that we can only fix with a major rewrite (of the sort that we're currently putting the finishing touches on).

zukernik

I am using iOS 7 beta 3 on my iPhone 5 and the app is completely messed up! The dictionary and the pasteboard show random Chinese characters no matter what I write. The English and pinyin are always fine but it seems every character has been replaced, maybe their Unicode has changed or something...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I am using iOS 7 beta 3 on my iPhone 5 and the app is completely messed up! The dictionary and the pasteboard show random Chinese characters no matter what I write. The English and pinyin are always fine but it seems every character has been replaced, maybe their Unicode has changed or something...

This is a known issue (already mentioned in another thread, in fact) - it'll be fixed in our Big Update, but we aren't planning to fix it before then (if we did, by the time Apple approved the fix Beta 4 would be out with a different bug).

So for now I'd recommend reverting to iOS 6 - given the potential for data loss and other misbehavior, it's really not a good idea to run beta releases of iOS on your primary system in any case.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We did end up fixing it (quite a lot of complaints, plus the practical matter that we didn't want to risk leaving people with an unusable version of Pleco if it took Apple forever to approve the Big Update) so if you download the new 2.2.14 update it should work correctly again.