2.2.12 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You know what to do. Particularly looking for any OS6- or iPhone-5-specific bugs, and for any feedback on the overhauled handwriting recognition engine (better / worse for characters you've had trouble with before, etc).

yuvalcho

举人
hey.

not sure, but it seems if i try to search using pinyin, it disregards the tone i put in.

example:
search (in dictionary mode):jian3 gives back a list of all jian words and others starting with jian1 (between)
is it possible that some setup thing was erased and i have to reset it up again myself now?

using version 2.2.12 iphone 4, ios 6.0

WoS

hi mike,

as for the new recognized characters in the HWR, i tried a few like (don't know if they are actually new added), e.g. the old variant of 對 which is written with a 文 left and a 寸 right. Tried some others having the same problem too, but this is the most easy one to explain :). Now when i open them in a dictionary and then go to the character definition screen (the 字), and click on the "words" button, the program freezes. I cannot do anything and when i push the home button and try to open pleco again, it crashes (it shows the logo saying "initializing, then quits). I have to really quit the program and start again new. Do you have an idea how to fix that? Thanks, and i'm looking forward to the new classic and medical dictionaries! :wink:

i'm using iphone 4, ios 5.1.1

Hmm… seems as though the Pasteboard Reader now no longer works!! Was working after I upgraded to iOS 6… but not after upgrading Pleco. When I launch it, it doesn't load what is in the clipboard. And when I edit it, I cannot paste anything. Unfortunately, it is something I use very often… to read all these automated text messages I get. But now… I don't know what to do… :oops:

Pleco v 2.2.12 / iPhone 4S / iOS 6

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
not sure, but it seems if i try to search using pinyin, it disregards the tone i put in.

example:
search (in dictionary mode):jian3 gives back a list of all jian words and others starting with jian1 (between)
is it possible that some setup thing was erased and i have to reset it up again myself now?

using version 2.2.12 iphone 4, ios 6.0

That's odd, seems to work fine here - does this happen every time you search or only occasionally? What if you wait a few seconds before typing the tone number?

WoS said:
as for the new recognized characters in the HWR, i tried a few like (don't know if they are actually new added), e.g. the old variant of 對 which is written with a 文 left and a 寸 right. Tried some others having the same problem too, but this is the most easy one to explain . Now when i open them in a dictionary and then go to the character definition screen (the 字), and click on the "words" button, the program freezes. I cannot do anything and when i push the home button and try to open pleco again, it crashes (it shows the logo saying "initializing, then quits). I have to really quit the program and start again new. Do you have an idea how to fix that? Thanks, and i'm looking forward to the new classic and medical dictionaries!

Try downloading the extended Unihan database from the Free section of Add-ons - does that fix it?

caorongjin said:
Hmm… seems as though the Pasteboard Reader now no longer works!! Was working after I upgraded to iOS 6… but not after upgrading Pleco. When I launch it, it doesn't load what is in the clipboard. And when I edit it, I cannot paste anything. Unfortunately, it is something I use very often… to read all these automated text messages I get. But now… I don't know what to do…

Seems to be working fine here - did you test this multiple times or only once? Are you sure you'd actually copied the text correctly? (the popup menu options after highlighting text have changed a bit) Any chance that you might have simply been copying something like an image that the reader doesn't know how to decode?

mikelove said:
caorongjin said:
Hmm… seems as though the Pasteboard Reader now no longer works!! Was working after I upgraded to iOS 6… but not after upgrading Pleco. When I launch it, it doesn't load what is in the clipboard. And when I edit it, I cannot paste anything. Unfortunately, it is something I use very often… to read all these automated text messages I get. But now… I don't know what to do…

Seems to be working fine here - did you test this multiple times or only once? Are you sure you'd actually copied the text correctly? (the popup menu options after highlighting text have changed a bit) Any chance that you might have simply been copying something like an image that the reader doesn't know how to decode?

Hmm… turns out, it is working now. Not sure what was different. I'm positive I did it correctly, several times, and copied from the Notes app so it was definitely text. :| Dunno. Thanks for testing!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
caorongjin said:
Hmm… turns out, it is working now. Not sure what was different. I'm positive I did it correctly, several times, and copied from the Notes app so it was definitely text. Dunno. Thanks for testing!

No problem! Let me know if it happens again and we can investigate further.

scykei

榜眼
mikelove said:
WoS said:
as for the new recognized characters in the HWR, i tried a few like (don't know if they are actually new added), e.g. the old variant of 對 which is written with a 文 left and a 寸 right. Tried some others having the same problem too, but this is the most easy one to explain . Now when i open them in a dictionary and then go to the character definition screen (the 字), and click on the "words" button, the program freezes. I cannot do anything and when i push the home button and try to open pleco again, it crashes (it shows the logo saying "initializing, then quits). I have to really quit the program and start again new. Do you have an idea how to fix that? Thanks, and i'm looking forward to the new classic and medical dictionaries!

Try downloading the extended Unihan database from the Free section of Add-ons - does that fix it?
I'm getting this problem too and it actually gets really, really frustrating at times. Basically, what he was trying to say is that when you open up a very obscure character in the character info and go to the Words tab, and no data is present in the current dictionary, it will crash. I visit that tab pretty often and the crashing can mess me up sometimes, since Pleco seems to lose the recent history when it crashes for some reason.

WoS

Yes,i think that's what I am trying to say. My Unihan database is up to date too,as all the other things of my bundle.

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Mike,

Did the 2.2.12 release do anything to sound? I've always had problems with blue tooth going into a kind of stand-by mode after 10-15 seconds. Then when a new sound came, I would lose the first 1.5-2 seconds of the sound until the blue-tooth was active again.

The new 6.0 has made this problem much better. For my GPS software, it works perfectly. Even though the blue tooth hasn't been used for many seconds or even minutes, when the GPS tries to talk to me, the buffering is fine and it waits until the blue tooth is active and then the sound comes out ungarbled. And, when 6.0 came out and before 2.2.12 came out, it seemed to fix the problem for Pleco also. But now that 2.2.12 is out, if there is no sound for 15 seconds, and then I access another flashcard with sound, there is a delay (which is expected while the blue tooth comes out of its stand-by mode) and then a garbled sound. Sounds immediately after that are fine. Until I again have a longish pause and the blue tooth goes into stand-by again, and then the next initial sound will be garbled.

I could be imaging that this was better with 6.0 and 2.2.11 and got worse with 2.2.12 as the interval was only a few days. But the new OS 6.0 has definitely fixed my blue tooth problem on my GPS. And it seemed to make the problem much better in the few days I was using 2.2.11 on 6.0. But with with 2.2.12 there is a definite garble on the first sounds that come out of my bluetooth. Then the rest of the sounds are fine until I have a pause where there is no sound for around 15 seconds (different times with different devices), and then again when the sound starts up it's garbled.

So if you didn't do anything that changed the sound, then it's just my imagination that it was better for a couple of days before 2.2.12. But that means that there is still a problem with how you're doing sound compared to how my GPS app is doing sound, because while the problem was the same in both apps before 6.0, after 6.0 the GPS app works perfectly after not having sound for a while, and Pleco still had garbled initial sound.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
I'm getting this problem too and it actually gets really, really frustrating at times. Basically, what he was trying to say is that when you open up a very obscure character in the character info and go to the Words tab, and no data is present in the current dictionary, it will crash. I visit that tab pretty often and the crashing can mess me up sometimes, since Pleco seems to lose the recent history when it crashes for some reason.

Hmm... yeah, seeing a bit of that here too. Not really introduced in 2.2.12 but much more likely to be triggered by it thanks to the new recognizer... thanks.

With the crash, is it losing just a few recent entries or the entire file?

johnh113 said:
Did the 2.2.12 release do anything to sound? I've always had problems with blue tooth going into a kind of stand-by mode after 10-15 seconds. Then when a new sound came, I would lose the first 1.5-2 seconds of the sound until the blue-tooth was active again.

No, didn't touch that code at all I'm afraid.

johnh113 said:
So if you didn't do anything that changed the sound, then it's just my imagination that it was better for a couple of days before 2.2.12. But that means that there is still a problem with how you're doing sound compared to how my GPS app is doing sound, because while the problem was the same in both apps before 6.0, after 6.0 the GPS app works perfectly after not having sound for a while, and Pleco still had garbled initial sound.

The GPS might be keeping the audio session open continuously while we're not - that's a fix we've been meaning to try for a while, but to be honest we get so few complaints about this that we're having a tough time making it a priority. (we're thinking this may be something specific to a few BT headset models and not universal, since we've had maybe 5 emails about it total in the ~3 years since our app launched)

scykei

榜眼
mikelove said:
Only recent ones. It's as though there are certain checkpoints which will always remain after a crash, whether it is caused by doing this or any other random crashes. I'm not sure how often a new checkpoint is reached though. It's sort of hard to explain, and is somewhat inconsistent. Maybe I'll make another video if you want.

EDIT: oh and I forgot to mention: the crash only happens when you have it showing "Contain" or "Both" in the Words tab. It doesn't crash when it is showing only "Start".

yuvalcho

举人
That's odd, seems to work fine here - does this happen every time you search or only occasionally? What if you wait a few seconds before typing the tone number?

even when i wait.
happens every time. even when i exit Pleco.

is there a way to downgrade ? just to check it out.
maybe if i erase Pleco and reinstall it, though i donr really wanna go there...
if i choose to do that, is there a way to backup/export all my DB, i mean including everything (flashcards, USR dict...).
i've seen there is a backup like that, but does it include all of them or there is something missing. i'd truely hate to lose all my data...

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
johnh113 said:

The GPS might be keeping the audio session open continuously while we're not - that's a fix we've been meaning to try for a while, but to be honest we get so few complaints about this that we're having a tough time making it a priority. (we're thinking this may be something specific to a few BT headset models and not universal, since we've had maybe 5 emails about it total in the ~3 years since our app launched)

Dear Mike,

No, the GPS app started working correctly immediately with the release of 6.0. I had suggested to the developers awhile ago to send a zero amplitude pulse every 8 seconds to keep the BlueTooth alive, but they refused saying that Apple was going to fix the problem. So it wasn't anything the GPS app vendor did. It was Apple. And Pleco is much, much better than it used to be with BlueTooth, just not as good as it could be. BlueTooth from different manufacturers have different characteristics, but they all go into some kind of idle mode and they all take a couple of seconds to come back out of it. If I'm the only person using BlueTooth (I suspect those other 5 emails were all from me!), don't worry about fixing it just for me.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Only recent ones. It's as though there are certain checkpoints which will always remain after a crash, whether it is caused by doing this or any other random crashes. I'm not sure how often a new checkpoint is reached though. It's sort of hard to explain, and is somewhat inconsistent. Maybe I'll make another video if you want.

That's OK - sounds like about the frequency with which we'd expect it to save, I just wanted to make sure that this was simply a case of it not saving and not something more dire.

scykei said:
EDIT: oh and I forgot to mention: the crash only happens when you have it showing "Contain" or "Both" in the Words tab. It doesn't crash when it is showing only "Start".

Right, saw that here too.

yuvalcho said:
is there a way to downgrade ? just to check it out.
maybe if i erase Pleco and reinstall it, though i donr really wanna go there...
if i choose to do that, is there a way to backup/export all my DB, i mean including everything (flashcards, USR dict...).
i've seen there is a backup like that, but does it include all of them or there is something missing. i'd truely hate to lose all my data...

Sadly, but maybe it's a settings thing - go into Settings / General and Reset All Settings, does that fix it? If not, we'll try to reproduce it here so we can fix it in our next update.

johnh113 said:
No, the GPS app started working correctly immediately with the release of 6.0. I had suggested to the developers awhile ago to send a zero amplitude pulse every 8 seconds to keep the BlueTooth alive, but they refused saying that Apple was going to fix the problem. So it wasn't anything the GPS app vendor did. It was Apple. And Pleco is much, much better than it used to be with BlueTooth, just not as good as it could be. BlueTooth from different manufacturers have different characteristics, but they all go into some kind of idle mode and they all take a couple of seconds to come back out of it. If I'm the only person using BlueTooth (I suspect those other 5 emails were all from me!), don't worry about fixing it just for me.

Interesting... maybe there's just a little more silence before their recordings naturally? But there's quite a bit of that with our system too... here's a question: does the GPS app obey the "mute" switch? If so, that would suggest that they're using a different audio session category than we are (we use one that ignores "mute" because we've found that people prefer that our audio play regardless of their mute setting) - if that fixes this then it would be easy to add an option to use that mode in Pleco, we just need to find a way to reproduce the problem here so we can figure out if it actually does.

mikelove said:
scykei said:

Hmm... yeah, seeing a bit of that here too. Not really introduced in 2.2.12 but much more likely to be triggered by it thanks to the new recognizer... thanks.

I think this has got something to do with Guifan. My pleco isn't exactly crashing but when I'm searching through some of the rarer characters in the words section it freezes up *A LOT* either when toggling to Guifan or if Guifan has become the default (since it was the last opened) dictionary (of the words section).

scykei

榜眼
Would it be too much of a problem to have it save more frequently? :\ Then I can return from where I was more easily. This is really because some parts of history is also lost when Pleco is closed normally.

yuvalcho

举人
not sure if it's this version's bug or other, but right now i m looking is there a way to back up everything...including settings, cause i dont even know which setting i've chnaged during the last 3 years and if resetting my settings wont help, it'd b a shame to try to make it as i wanted before when i can just upload the old settings...
anyways...in Settings->Flashcards->Card categories. i have 3 layer/nested category and the name itself (which is long of course being 3 nests)is written under/behind the "Default category" meaning thery r both written in the same space (isnt it breaking some kind of physical law? (-: ). i can read "Default category" which is black, but behind it also the category name in chinese in blue.
if u dont understand, i'll try to let someone else take a pic of that, but right now i m unable to do that.

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
johnh113 said:

Interesting... maybe there's just a little more silence before their recordings naturally? But there's quite a bit of that with our system too... here's a question: does the GPS app obey the "mute" switch? If so, that would suggest that they're using a different audio session category than we are (we use one that ignores "mute" because we've found that people prefer that our audio play regardless of their mute setting) - if that fixes this then it would be easy to add an option to use that mode in Pleco, we just need to find a way to reproduce the problem here so we can figure out if it actually does.

Dear Mike,

If you're referring to the mechanical switch on the left side above the +/- buttons, then the position of that switch doesn't matter for either application. I.E., in vibrate mode, I still get voice from both my GPS app and from Pleco. (My GPS app has a software mute switch on their map page.) I don't think they have excessive dead space at the beginning of audio because when I hit their speaker button to repeat or say an instruction it speaks instantly if the BlueTooth is not in its idle mode. Again no need to fix this just for me.

John

johnh113

榜眼
Dear MIke,

I'm on 2.2.12 on my iPhone4S on 6.0. I have a similar crash on looking up components of a character. It's repeatable. 1) Search for 傀儡 de 儡. 2) Select it. 3) Push the zi button. 4) Select the component with the 3 tians. 5) Push the "word" button. The app freezes and finally crashes. It doesn't remember that I was in flashcard mode and starts a new flashcard session.
John