2.2.11 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Eddy

举人
mikelove said:
Pretty rare use case, but yes, it's probably worth mentioning. In general this is a situation where I'd suggest creating duplicate cards, since it's unlikely we'd ever allow a single card to support multiple definitions depending on which category you load it from (lots of problems with that idea).

Is it rare to work with multiple custom dictionaries? I had not given it much thought before. I am working with three custom dictionaries (HSK dictionary, radicals dictionary and a dictionary based on a textbook series that I use). But now that you mention it, it makes much more sense to have one single custom dictionary - I think I'll be spending some time this weekend to consolidate overlapping characters and vocab and put it all into one custom dictionary. That seems like a cleaner solution iso setting up duplicate cards.

mikelove said:
It's certainly doable - with some minor modifications our existing handwriting module could be made to work quite well for that - but for the moment it seems easier to just work with Skritter; we're already talking about ways we might allow you to sync / share your Pleco flashcard list with their system. We've got so many other projects that we can't possibly cover everything, and ultimately I think we can both do better as collaborators than competitors.

I'm happy to hear that it's doable. From earlier forum posts I see that people are interested in Skritter and Pleco collaboration. I see the appeal also but for the moment I prefer to have my dictionary and flashcard functionality (incl stroke order drawing module) in one app that is mobile (iPad and iPhone) and highly customisable (Pleco!), rather than paying an extra monthly subscription fee for Skritter's stroke order drawing use. I'll take a look at the Skritter iOS app once it's launched and see how I feel then. In the meantime I'm very much looking forward to see what you and the team have been working on with the Pleco 2.3 update!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Eddy said:
Is it rare to work with multiple custom dictionaries? I had not given it much thought before. I am working with three custom dictionaries (HSK dictionary, radicals dictionary and a dictionary based on a textbook series that I use). But now that you mention it, it makes much more sense to have one single custom dictionary - I think I'll be spending some time this weekend to consolidate overlapping characters and vocab and put it all into one custom dictionary. That seems like a cleaner solution iso setting up duplicate cards.

More that it's rare to want to have multiple flashcard definitions for the same word, though thinking about it it actually does make sense in certain situations. Another way you could do this would be to use the temporary dictionary remapping option in Card Text - keep the normal card pointing to one dictionary but have it in another to use during the test. That multiple-dictionary access method does make sense and we may even eventually add a way for you to attach multiple definitions to the card in a non-category-specific way - it would choose one based on the current profile.

Eddy said:
I'm happy to hear that it's doable. From earlier forum posts I see that people are interested in Skritter and Pleco collaboration. I see the appeal also but for the moment I prefer to have my dictionary and flashcard functionality (incl stroke order drawing module) in one app that is mobile (iPad and iPhone) and highly customisable (Pleco!), rather than paying an extra monthly subscription fee for Skritter's stroke order drawing use. I'll take a look at the Skritter iOS app once it's launched and see how I feel then. In the meantime I'm very much looking forward to see what you and the team have been working on with the Pleco 2.3 update!

Fair enough - we're not inherently averse to the idea, it just doesn't make sense to make it a priority given all of the other neat stuff we're working on.

Eddy

举人
mikelove said:
More that it's rare to want to have multiple flashcard definitions for the same word, though thinking about it it actually does make sense in certain situations. Another way you could do this would be to use the temporary dictionary remapping option in Card Text - keep the normal card pointing to one dictionary but have it in another to use during the test. That multiple-dictionary access method does make sense and we may even eventually add a way for you to attach multiple definitions to the card in a non-category-specific way - it would choose one based on the current profile.

Excellent, thanks for all the suggestions! Either approach (one consolidated dictionary, temporary dictionary remapping in Card Text, duplicate cards use) should work fine so I'll think it over this weekend and take it from there.

mikelove said:
Fair enough - we're not inherently averse to the idea, it just doesn't make sense to make it a priority given all of the other neat stuff we're working on.

Ok! All the best with the preparations for the next update :)

Alexis

状元
Is there a 100-character (or there-about) limit when copying text from the reader? When I copy text from the reader and paste it in another application, I only get the first 100 characters or so.

MMarks

举人
Not really a bug report, but I have installed the Skritter IOS app on my iPod Touch - three times now - and it doesn't show a Pleco button like it should. I am waiting for help from Nick at Skritter, but is there any reason why Pleco on my iPod Touch would not be recognized by an installation?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Is there a 100-character (or there-about) limit when copying text from the reader? When I copy text from the reader and paste it in another application, I only get the first 100 characters or so.

Our custom text selection code is a little glitchy with large selections - try "Edit"ing the document and that will switch you to Apple's text control and their text selection, which at the moment seems to work more reliably.

MMarks said:
Not really a bug report, but I have installed the Skritter IOS app on my iPod Touch - three times now - and it doesn't show a Pleco button like it should. I am waiting for help from Nick at Skritter, but is there any reason why Pleco on my iPod Touch would not be recognized by an installation?

Are you using an outdated version of Pleco? You need the newest one, 2.2.11 - we only added support for linking to Pleco from other apps in that release, and before we did, their app had no way to detect that our app was installed.

MMarks

举人
Thanks, Nick just told me too - I have 2.9.9. How do I upgrade? I don't want to lose anything. I had checked the program and it said I was up to date, but I suppose that means my dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MMarks said:
Thanks, Nick just told me too - I have 2.9.9. How do I upgrade? I don't want to lose anything. I had checked the program and it said I was up to date, but I suppose that means my dictionaries.

Yes - Updates tab in App Store is where you want to go for the app update.

MMarks

举人
I have entered the App Store - don't think I've ever used it. It shows only one update available, for a Day One diary program. And only one other program under purchases. Can I somehow enter Pleco there? The search for Pleco gets no hits. Can I upgrade through iTunes, where I may have bought it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MMarks said:
I have entered the App Store - don't think I've ever used it. It shows only one update available, for a Day One diary program. And only one other program under purchases. Can I somehow enter Pleco there? The search for Pleco gets no hits. Can I upgrade through iTunes, where I may have bought it?

Sure - open up iTunes on your computer, click on "Apps" on the left side of the screen, then click on "Check for updates" at the bottom right corner of the screen.

MMarks

举人
Sorry, I take it all back - I had to load iTunes and then enter the App Store from there. It then gives me a button to update.

gabor

探花
Don't know if it is a bug or intended behavior, but the Edit (userdict) Entry field allows different number of Simplified and Traditional characters, I would at least add a warning screen in such a case.

gabor

探花
A bug I just remembered:
If you search for an entry by HWR and then tap on Edit Entry and tap into the Pinyin or Definition field, then the iOS keyboard comes up, but completely white, no key visible. Workarounds: change to HWR and back or leave field and return to it. Leaving the iOS keyboard selected you save the entry, the dictionary results screen loads again, the button on the top still shows that the HWR keyboard is selected, nevertheless the iOS keyboard comes up. Obvious workaround: select Rad(ical) or Key(board) and then select HWR again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gabor said:
Don't know if it is a bug or intended behavior, but the Edit (userdict) Entry field allows different number of Simplified and Traditional characters, I would at least add a warning screen in such a case.

Not really either - just not something we spent much time thinking about - but that's a good idea, thanks.

gabor said:
If you search for an entry by HWR and then tap on Edit Entry and tap into the Pinyin or Definition field, then the iOS keyboard comes up, but completely white, no key visible. Workarounds: change to HWR and back or leave field and return to it. Leaving the iOS keyboard selected you save the entry, the dictionary results screen loads again, the button on the top still shows that the HWR keyboard is selected, nevertheless the iOS keyboard comes up. Obvious workaround: select Rad(ical) or Key(board) and then select HWR again.

So the handwriting box is still open? Is this on an iPad? Unfortunately the recognizer can't be running in two places at once (due to technical constraints that we can't work around), so the fix for this is probably going to be to disable the Edit Entry button when handwriting is active.

gabor

探花
mikelove said:
gabor said:

Not really either - just not something we spent much time thinking about - but that's a good idea, thanks.

gabor said:

So the handwriting box is still open? Is this on an iPad? Unfortunately the recognizer can't be running in two places at once (due to technical constraints that we can't work around), so the fix for this is probably going to be to disable the Edit Entry button when handwriting is active.
Yes, the handwriting box is open before I tap Edit Entey, but then of course disappears, since no field is selected. Then I click into the pinyin field, where the iOS keyboard "comes up", but is entirely white, no key is visible. Yes, it happens on an iPad (2) with latest iOS.

caesartg

榜眼
I've noticed this bug seemingly forever, but it never caused problems enough for me to warrant reporting it and it was one that would quickly be picked up on. Just noticed it again and thought I'd get it out there in case it's still not been noticed.

When doing a multiple choice flashcard quiz, if I navigate back a card and then click the lightbulb to get back to the currently tested one, the font size increases significantly and this essentially means that less information is presented in each of the multiple choice boxes.

Cheers

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gabor said:
Yes, the handwriting box is open before I tap Edit Entey, but then of course disappears, since no field is selected. Then I click into the pinyin field, where the iOS keyboard "comes up", but is entirely white, no key is visible. Yes, it happens on an iPad (2) with latest iOS.

OK - this will definitely be dealt with in 2.3, thanks!

caesartg said:
When doing a multiple choice flashcard quiz, if I navigate back a card and then click the lightbulb to get back to the currently tested one, the font size increases significantly and this essentially means that less information is presented in each of the multiple choice boxes.

Thanks - it has been noticed and should be dealt with in the next release.

moelicious

秀才
I've got a question regarding the flashcard mode. I'm currently studying with Integrated Chinese 1.2 / Chapter 19.2 and set up a flashcard for Air China (中國國際航空公司). However, this card never shows up in my test sessions. How can I fix this? Is it because my flashcard consists of too many characters? Is there a limitation on characters in the flashcard mode? All the card filters are turned off and I'm using the "Simple" profile. Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: Oh, and the Max number of cards is "All".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
moelicious said:
I've got a question regarding the flashcard mode. I'm currently studying with Integrated Chinese 1.2 / Chapter 19.2 and set up a flashcard for Air China (中國國際航空公司). However, this card never shows up in my test sessions. How can I fix this? Is it because my flashcard consists of too many characters? Is there a limitation on characters in the flashcard mode? All the card filters are turned off and I'm using the "Simple" profile. Thanks a lot in advance!

In "Card Selection" turn off "Limit # of unlearned" - that should get all of your cards to appear. The only other possible problem would be that fill-in-the-blanks tests are limited to 4 characters, so if you're doing one of those then this card wouldn't appear regardless.

Alexis

状元
Minor bug (New iPad): if you click on a character in a dictionary entry, have the keyboard open, click on the 字 icon, then click on the back button, the HWR/1/2/3/4/5 buttons will all be misaligned.