2.2.10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Still working on addressing not being able to properly review incorrect cards because Pleco gives me back correctly marked cards in the bunch and/or ends the session even though the leftover cards have all been marked incorrect.

I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Pleco. I also tried the solution mentioned some time back regarding creating a new profile and selecting review incorrect cards from the Manage Profile options.

Still getting the same problem :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
friendlyuser said:
Still working on addressing not being able to properly review incorrect cards because Pleco gives me back correctly marked cards in the bunch and/or ends the session even though the leftover cards have all been marked incorrect.

Per my earlier comments: this is a bug, and it'll be fixed in 2.2.11, but in the meantime you can work around it by NOT pressing the "forward" button and instead returning to your current card by tapping on the lightbulb tab icon. (which will immediately jump you back to it)

insighter

举人
I'm pretty sure that if you have a custom flash card created by yourself or imported from another source, you aren't able to take an on-board dictionary's definition and edit it to use as the new entry. Instead of taking the new definition from the dictionary so that you can edit it, the entry will instead revert back to the original custom card once Create custom card is pressed. Maybe you like it like this, but is there any workaround?

Also, maybe I'm crazy but there seems to be no difference in whether I hit Add to Category or Create New Card after I've created a duplicate card. Neither seems to merge cats.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
insighter said:
I'm pretty sure that if you have a custom flash card created by yourself or imported from another source, you aren't able to take an on-board dictionary's definition and edit it to use as the new entry. Instead of taking the new definition from the dictionary so that you can edit it, the entry will instead revert back to the original custom card once Create custom card is pressed. Maybe you like it like this, but is there any workaround?

That's designed to keep people from accidentally overwriting their painstakingly-written custom definitions - we keep them around in the database even when you remap cards to a dictionary so that you won't unintentionally lose them. We've added a command to allow you to overwrite them for 2.3, but it was too tricky to backport it for 2.2.11.

However, here's a way you can do this in the meantime: "Backup Database" your flashcard database, copy it to your computer, open it with a SQLite utility like the SQLite Manager Firefox extension, then execute the following command:

Code:
update pleco_flash_cards set defn = NULL where dictid != -1;

That will erase all of the old custom definitions in dictionary-linked cards. Copy the database file back to your device (no need to "save," the updates to it apply immediately) and "Restore Database" it and you should then find that all of your dictionary-linked cards will now get their custom definitions from the dictionary.

insighter said:
Also, maybe I'm crazy but there seems to be no difference in whether I hit Add to Category or Create New Card after I've created a duplicate card. Neither seems to merge cats.

Seems to be working OK here... you'd want "add to category" and you'd want to make sure that you had already selected the new category you wanted to add the card to. What exactly does happen now when you run those two commands?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not...

But is it possible for Pleco to remember the orientation when you choose the "Lock Orientation" General setting?

I lock it in landscape when I'm using the document reader so it doesn't switch on me as I change positions...
But each time I start the app on my iPhone 4s, I'm holding it in portait mode, it starts up in portrai mode (locked, because the setting is still set), and then I have to go to settings, unlock it, rotate to landscape, lock it, before I can continue using it again...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
WangYuHong said:
But is it possible for Pleco to remember the orientation when you choose the "Lock Orientation" General setting?

Not at the moment, but it should be fixed in 2.3 - most of the orientation-switching code is tied to the code that handles the tab bar at the bottom of the screen, which has been totally redone for 2.3, so it didn't make sense to back-port this functionality to 2.2.

insighter

举人
mikelove said:
However, here's a way you can do this in the meantime: "Backup Database" your flashcard database, copy it to your computer, open it with a SQLite utility like the SQLite Manager Firefox extension, then execute the following command:

Code:
update pleco_flash_cards set defn = NULL where dictid != -1;

That will erase all of the old custom definitions in dictionary-linked cards. Copy the database file back to your device (no need to "save," the updates to it apply immediately) and "Restore Database" it and you should then find that all of your dictionary-linked cards will now get their custom definitions from the dictionary.

Would this process change my previous entries? I don't want to change them, just ones that I want to create from now on.

Oh, here's another not-really bug associated with custom card creation. A normal card from a dictionary hides all the example sentences in the flashcard entry unless you go into card info. If you create a custom card and edit a previous entry the example sentences are all revealed. Not a problem with most cards but for ones with tons of sentences and multiple definitions, it can make going through these flashcards a bit slower. I think you're working on ways to organize example sentences, so maybe you're already on this.

mikelove said:
Seems to be working OK here... you'd want "add to category" and you'd want to make sure that you had already selected the new category you wanted to add the card to. What exactly does happen now when you run those two commands?

Normally it adds a card to the category I selected, but leaves the previous card still in its previous category. I imagine this is how the Create New Card option should work. By any chance do I need to do something else, like selected a default category first?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
insighter said:
Would this process change my previous entries? I don't want to change them, just ones that I want to create from now on.

It only applies to cards that currently link to dictionary entries - it'll clear out the old custom text which they're still storing but not using, so that if you convert them to custom cards again they'll pull the new text from the dictionary rather than keeping the old text. For new cards, if you're creating them from dictionary entries originally then they won't be affected by this problem because they won't have any custom text to begin with.

insighter said:
Oh, here's another not-really bug associated with custom card creation. A normal card from a dictionary hides all the example sentences in the flashcard entry unless you go into card info. If you create a custom card and edit a previous entry the example sentences are all revealed. Not a problem with most cards but for ones with tons of sentences and multiple definitions, it can make going through these flashcards a bit slower. I think you're working on ways to organize example sentences, so maybe you're already on this.

We are, but I'm not sure if we'll actually be adding support for defining example sentences on custom cards separately from the definition; I think we'd be better off dealing with this problem by letting you append text to an existing card while having it keep its dictionary entry link. An added benefit to that is that if the dictionary entry gets updated your card automatically has the new definition.

insighter said:
Normally it adds a card to the category I selected, but leaves the previous card still in its previous category. I imagine this is how the Create New Card option should work. By any chance do I need to do something else, like selected a default category first?

You have to have selected some sort of category to add the card to, yes - you can do that by tap-holding on the + button.