2.2.10 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

yoose

探花
Re: 2.2.9 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Hi Mike,

Was working on flashcards today on my iPad (on 2.2.8 before I upgraded to 2.2.9 and it happens on both) and I use the handwriting interface with it. I noticed that when I changed orientation either from landscape to portrait or the other way around, if the handwriting is on, it will turn off and not turn back on when i change the orientation back to what it was when I turned on the handwriting layer. I also tested it on my iPhone which is running 2.2.9

Not sure if this was intentional and its not a huge deal, but if its easy to fix maybe you can get that setting to stick :D

Vzzzbx

进士

I'm sure you're on top of it Mike, but regarding this:

Added a startup prompt to re-download purchased add-ons when the system detects that your add-ons directory has been deleted; this generally happens either because you've restored your system from a backup (since those files aren't backed up, in order to avoid eating up too much of your iCloud storage space) or because your system ran very low on storage memory and iOS purged them to free up space. (unfortunately, Apple doesn't currently offer us any way to avoid this behavior, but we can at least streamline things for you when it happens)
Apple appears to have addressed it in the 5.0.1 beta, allowing developers to specify which files must remain on devices. Had to happen, really.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

yoose said:
Hi Mike,

Was working on flashcards today on my iPad (on 2.2.8 before I upgraded to 2.2.9 and it happens on both) and I use the handwriting interface with it. I noticed that when I changed orientation either from landscape to portrait or the other way around, if the handwriting is on, it will turn off and not turn back on when i change the orientation back to what it was when I turned on the handwriting layer. I also tested it on my iPhone which is running 2.2.9

Not sure if this was intentional and its not a huge deal, but if its easy to fix maybe you can get that setting to stick :D

That one's actually surprisingly difficult to fix, basically because we're using OpenGL to get handwriting to render smoothly and that tends to be rather finicky about screen size / orientation changes - the safest way to handle it is to close it on an orientation change and let users reopen it if they still want it.

Vzzzbx said:
Apple appears to have addressed it in the 5.0.1 beta, allowing developers to specify which files must remain on devices. Had to happen, really.

Yeah, the actual system for it is a bit awkward (and the documentation a bit ambiguous) but it sounds like it should indeed fix the problem.

yoose

探花

mikelove said:
yoose said:
Hi Mike,

That one's actually surprisingly difficult to fix, basically because we're using OpenGL to get handwriting to render smoothly and that tends to be rather finicky about screen size / orientation changes - the safest way to handle it is to close it on an orientation change and let users reopen it if they still want it.

thanks mike well then for me i would say do not bother, your time is better spent working on other things.

numble

状元

On iPad (possibly iPhone too) in dictionary view, if you switch to a pinyin keyboard (possibly other differently-sized keyboards as well), and then select HWR, the HWR interface is larger than normal.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

numble said:
On iPad (possibly iPhone too) in dictionary view, if you switch to a pinyin keyboard (possibly other differently-sized keyboards as well), and then select HWR, the HWR interface is larger than normal.

Quite right - this actually goes into the category of "little glitches which are really really tricky to fix," but we'll keep an eye out for ways to deal with it as we work on further optimizing our text input system to take advantage of the new UI features in iOS 5.

scykei

榜眼
Can you check if the Upload/Download files from computer using local Wifi transfer is working? I've successfully transferred a few files before in 2.2.9 but it doesn't seem to be working for since 2.2.10. I've tested on an iPod Touch 4 and an iPhone 2G. I just can't connect to the address using my web browser.

The Share Files among devices doesn't seem to work either. Tried using both Wifi on same network and Bluetooth.

This all becomes a problem because I cannot transfer files from my PC to my iPhone 2G using iTunes either, as it's stuck on firmware 3.1.3. I have no other means of getting stuff on that device without uploading them to a file hosting website or something, but then it might be too much of a hassle.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Can you check if the Upload/Download files from computer using local Wifi transfer is working? I've successfully transferred a few files before in 2.2.9 but it doesn't seem to be working for since 2.2.10. I've tested on an iPod Touch 4 and an iPhone 2G. I just can't connect to the address using my web browser.

Yes, still works fine - we didn't change any code relating to those in 2.2.10 so it's very unlikely the update would have caused problems.

scykei said:
The Share Files among devices doesn't seem to work either. Tried using both Wifi on same network and Bluetooth.

Again, seems to work fine - any chance you might have changed something in your WiFi network settings recently?

scykei said:
This all becomes a problem because I cannot transfer files from my PC to my iPhone 2G using iTunes either, as it's stuck on firmware 3.1.3. I have no other means of getting stuff on that device without uploading them to a file hosting website or something, but then it might be too much of a hassle.

There could be some kind of incompatibility between devices running such far-apart firmware versions - so you can't update your iPhone to OS 4.2?

scykei

榜眼
I tried resetting the modem settings and everything and it now works for some reason :\ I don't think I've changed any settings.

I don't know what happened. :oops: Sorry for blaming Pleco for it again >.<

Oh, and occasionally Pleco don't group compound sentences correctly, which can be a problem in dictionaries. For example, look at the second example sentence of entry 其實. "這臺機器看起來復雜, 其實不難掌握。"

Pleco will choose to group the words 來復 instead of the word 複雜. As you can see, both of these fu4 are different words but they have the same simplification, 复.

I'm not sure if related but here's another example. Look at the word 鬆. If you have Pleco "not replace the headword with ~" you will see that in the examples, it will show the word as 松, even when I switch to traditional characters. As far as I know, these two characters used to mean different things too. If listed as a compound, however, such as 放鬆, Pleco will correctly switch the character to the proper one.

It looks like it would be extremely difficult to solve though. :?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
I tried resetting the modem settings and everything and it now works for some reason :\ I don't think I've changed any settings.

I don't know what happened. :oops: Sorry for blaming Pleco for it again >.<

Oh, and occasionally Pleco don't group compound sentences correctly, which can be a problem in dictionaries. For example, look at the second example sentence of entry 其實. "這臺機器看起來復雜, 其實不難掌握。"

Pleco will choose to group the words 來復 instead of the word 複雜. As you can see, both of these fu4 are different words but they have the same simplification, 复.

I'm not sure if related but here's another example. Look at the word 鬆. If you have Pleco "not replace the headword with ~" you will see that in the examples, it will show the word as 松, even when I switch to traditional characters. As far as I know, these two characters used to mean different things too. If listed as a compound, however, such as 放鬆, Pleco will correctly switch the character to the proper one.

It looks like it would be extremely difficult to solve though. :?

The first bug is actually one of the biggest and most interesting problems in Chinese computing - it's called "text segmentation" and there have been zillions of papers / algorithms / etc published on how to do it best. So it's really just a matter of picking a technique and then writing / licensing a code library to use it.

The 鬆 issue looks like a database glitch - most ~ replacements work with traditional just fine, but that particular character has more than one traditional character mapping and it looks like our system picked the wrong one in that case.

It seems that some of the audio recordings (male) don't account for tone sandhi.

For example, if I'm not mistaken, 一生 should be pronounced yìshēng, not yīshēng.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
多伦多人 said:
In the male audio recording for 阿司匹林, the 匹 sounds like pi1 instead of pi3.

Hmm, yeah, perhaps he was thinking of some other Chinese version of that word - thanks!

多伦多人 said:
For example, if I'm not mistaken, 一生 should be pronounced yìshēng, not yīshēng.

There are a few like that that are tricky because there are also sandhi-less words with the same syllables + tones - 医生 in this case. We're working on a fix for that but it's not quite 100% yet.

character

状元
Noticed these on the iPad (from memory):

1) I couldn't find a way to enable audio to play when a flashcard is first shown. On a flashcard, when I tap the speaker, there is a message about how to enable that behavior but I couldn't find a matching setting. I turned on the settings I could find (show on reveal and something else).

2) When importing flashcards from a file, Pleco initially says something like "0 dictionaries" for one of the settings. When you tap the table cell to go to the list of dictionaries and come back, it then lists a number of dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
character said:
1) I couldn't find a way to enable audio to play when a flashcard is first shown. On a flashcard, when I tap the speaker, there is a message about how to enable that behavior but I couldn't find a matching setting. I turned on the settings I could find (show on reveal and something else).

Should just be a matter of making audio one of the options in "Show" - does the error message not mention that? (should probably rewrite it)

character said:
2) When importing flashcards from a file, Pleco initially says something like "0 dictionaries" for one of the settings. When you tap the table cell to go to the list of dictionaries and come back, it then lists a number of dictionaries.

Ah, a long-running glitch having to do with the fact that Pleco doesn't actually build the list until you open it for the first time - thanks.

character

状元
mikelove said:
character said:

Should just be a matter of making audio one of the options in "Show" - does the error message not mention that? (should probably rewrite it)

Thanks Mike.

Finally found it, but where Show appears depends on which profile one has set. Perhaps "Configure score subjects" should say "Configure show settings".

Also, it might be less confusing if "Auto-play on show" was changed. Perhaps it should be disabled if audio is not one of the show settings, or moved to be part of the Show settings table, or something.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
character said:
Finally found it, but where Show appears depends on which profile one has set. Perhaps "Configure score subjects" should say "Configure show settings".

Also, it might be less confusing if "Auto-play on show" was changed. Perhaps it should be disabled if audio is not one of the show settings, or moved to be part of the Show settings table, or something.

Good points, thanks - hardly anybody seems to use that "alternating" system anymore so we don't get much feedback on it. "Auto-play on show" should indeed be hidden if audio isn't included in "show," not sure why it isn't already.

alanmd

探花
I just noticed a small bug with the pasteboard reader and document editor. If I type or paste text with Emoji characters, when I switch from 'edit' to 'read' those characters disappear. At this point, I can't click on the character after the one that just disappeared (although I can select it by selecting a character further away, and using the previous/next arrows). Not a big deal, might be a more general problem with a simple fix so I thought I'd mention it...

insighter

举人
I've been using the flashcards aspect Pleco for a little while now and I've noticed a couple bugs. Some of them seem pretty obvious but I haven't seem them noted in the forums.

1) Cannot continue a flashcard session because of glitches with the testing interface - This usually happens when you are in a testing session when one goes to edit a card (set a new dictionary entry, create a custom card, etc). For example, the test may require you to write the character based on the pinyin and definition provided but there is suddenly now way for you to progress because the 'done' and 'reveal card' button are obscured/absent. There may be other manifestations that make the interface temporarily unusable in similar ways, but this is the most common. My solution so far has been to exit the session and see if the test incorrect cards session is still usable. If not then that session can be saved, exited out of and restarted which usually solves the problem.

2) Large space created between letter keyboard and tones entry numbers - This seems to happen randomly as far as I can tell and it makes viewing the flashcard headword and any information below really difficult because the white background viewing space has been cut in half with the testing session's green 繁体字 green background taking over that space.

3) Halt in score changes- When I first set up a profile to do SRS testing I set one of the testing parameters to deduct 10% of the cards score each time a card was answered incorrectly. This caused all card scores to receive no changes to them whether they were scored right or wrong. In other words, no matter how many times I tested them the scores always remained 100. After removing the deduct 10% function card review scoring returned to normal, which is fine by me because this function isn't important to me.

4) Incorrect card selection on re-tests- I have my flashcard test session set to retest me on cards I scored incorrectly on the first time. They re-test me on loop until I get the card correct. Sometimes the cards it chooses to retest me on are cards I know I answered correctly. This seemed to be a bigger problem before but maybe less so now. I would 3-5% of the cards it chooses to retest me on are ones that I actually answered correctly. Not sure what's going on there.

One last one is more of an incorrect entry note. The card 伤 in the PLC dictionary this card is marked as having no tone while all other dictionaries (ABC, CC, etc.) mark the character correctly as having a first tone.

I didn't put down all my settings because I'm kinda lazy, but let me know if you really need them to help troubleshoot.