2.1.2 Released - Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's live on App Store now - let us know if you find any new (or still-unfixed) bugs, especially on iOS 4.

Mostly just bug fixes and not many new features, but iPad users get larger reader toolbars, and flashcard users get a significant boost in that we've finally admitted that manually updating databases is very slow and added an experimental option to filter headwords out of flashcard definitions; supports Pinyin too, and while it's not 100% perfect it mostly works pretty well - definition-to-headword tests based on Tuttle are finally usable without having to put your hand over half of your iPhone's display :)

yuvalcho

举人
Hey.

Since downloading the new version (a few hours ago), I'm experiencing crashes with the Flashcard system.

I have an iPod touch 8GB with iOS4.0 which is supposed to be third gen, though to my understanding the 8GB is actually 2nd gen )-:

It's a problem since i have a test on Monday (Semester ends at China), and I haven't been studying lately (-:

uv

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We didn't make any significant changes to the flashcard system in 2.1.2, actually, so I'm inclined to attribute this to iOS 4.0's higher memory requirements and the requirements of our flashcard system combined with the small amount of built-in memory on the 8 GB iPod - when did you upgrade to 4.0? Could you email me (mikelove@pleco.com) your crash logs? Go into

Mac OS X : /Users/(your username)/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/(your device name)
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\(your device name)
Windows Vista / 7: C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\(your device name)

to locate the appropriate log file or files (should have names starting with "Pleco" and the file extension .crash). On Windows, that "Application Data" folder may be hidden - choose "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu, go to the "View" tab and check the radio button to "Show hidden files and folders" to make hidden folders visible.

Since time is so tight, though, you might want to downgrade back to OS 3.1.3 for now - do an internet search for "downgrade iPod 4.0" (without the quotes) and you should see lots of step-by-step tutorials for that.

yuvalcho

举人
Hi.

10x. for the reply. though I thought you had a system that sent an email as soon as my post was replied, I think you should consider it at least...

I'll look for the log and send it. guess that the log is copied each time there is a sync between the iPod and PC.
Ohhh...interesting turn of events...there is no crash log. I have older ones, but none from that date, though I had a few.
I tried also sync'ing again, but still no new logs.

Edit:
I thought of looking for the date, and found logs of "LowMemory-2010-07-09-015152". are these relevant to you as well or are they readable only by Apple?

Edit2 (-:
I wanted to add that since than it "relaxed" though I think it's due to the fact I'm taking a smaller amount of cards at a time.
In the beginning I used ~850 cards, now I broke it down to less.
Also, It sort of give you an alert/hint before crashing by starting to slow down and the hand recognition not getting the strokes, so I got out of the app and opened it again this way I was able to finish without crashed as it saves before going out.

BTW...after finishing a round of flashcards and starting again with all the error ones...is there a way to send all of these filtered ones into a new category without marking them each 1 in its turn?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The low-memory logs are relevant for us too, and if those are the only ones you're finding then it definitely sounds like the problem has to do with your device running low on RAM. Thanks!

Glad to hear that reducing the number of cards is helping, though it's still strange - the cards don't take up very much memory; maybe there's a memory leak somewhere in the flashcard session code that we haven't found yet. Have you changed any of your test settings from their default values? What kind of test (self-graded / multi-choice / etc) are you using? Do you go into the separate definition / Character Info screens a lot?

The best way to add your incorrect flashcards into a new category would be to look for them in Search Cards, then add them to the category with the Batch command, though this doesn't quite match the functionality of the search in sessions yet. (working to merge those two but it's very tricky)

yuvalcho

举人
Hey.

I sent you the logs.

There was another crash which now generated a pleco file (sent it as well).

The pleco generated file crash was with a small amount of cards, but I guess maybe it's from a different reason.

Don't worry about the tests though, I'm doing OK.
Pleco app IS serving me (-:

I usually use the self-marked and after being able to read, I change to the fill-in-the-blanks
both of them with normal settings I think. clearly I let it use the whole cards in the category and not just a 100.
I guess i do go to Character Info screens a lot, though not too sure how much is a lot, but I do quite use it...it's extremely useful (-:

I wish there was a way to cancel/disable the filtering from main screen of flash cards testing instead of going into "Card filters" and from there...I don't know if the iPod's OS lets you make an interface like that with a button and an "arrow" to go inside...

10x.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! It actually doesn't look like Pleco's memory usage was too extreme, though it's possible there may have been some Pleco-related memory usage that wasn't showing up in those logs... in general, though, it seems like the feeling that OS 4 doesn't work very well on 128 MB devices (iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd Gen / iPod Touch 3rd Gen 8 GB) may be justified.

It's certainly possible to have a button that both goes into another screen and has a switch on it, it's just a bit trickier for users to hit - maybe just a button below the "Card Filters" button called "Disable all card filters"?

yuvalcho

举人
I don't really mind how it's (the turn off filter button) implemented, maybe other people have better ideas, but your idea sounds good to me.

edit:
I'm not sure how it's done, but i would have imagined that the default way would be that a session is saved no matter what unless you specify otherwise, and if a crash happens you wouldn't loose the whole session, but maybe a few steps in it.
Like I said before making 750 flashcards of 800 and then having to start over is real bummer (-:
I wouldn't mind continuing from 730 and repeating a few...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
I'm not sure how it's done, but i would have imagined that the default way would be that a session is saved no matter what unless you specify otherwise, and if a crash happens you wouldn't loose the whole session, but maybe a few steps in it.
Like I said before making 750 flashcards of 800 and then having to start over is real bummer (-:
I wouldn't mind continuing from 730 and repeating a few...

Well I suppose we could add an option to save out session progress every few cards, but the reason we don't do it by default is that it's generally not a good idea to write out large amounts of data to flash memory if you don't need to - it would likely have a noticeable impact on battery life during flashcard testing, which people spend enough time in that battery life becomes a significant concern. Of course the ideal would be if we could simply make the software not crash on 128MB devices running iOS 4 :)

FWIW, though, the actual card progress should still be written out to the database (or most of it), so if you go back and do a card filter to exclude cards reviewed "within" "3" "hours" (say), that should give you a test only on the cards you haven't already tested on.

yuvalcho

举人
Hey.

I'm not sure how u r implementing saving the session, but i think at the beginning u only need to save the cards in the session,and during the session u only have to save to which card u got and pass or fail, lets say every few cars.
i guess the scoring system is the amount of data that is the problem...
maybe an option to continue from the place u left without the scores of the last cards? which basically will be the same as using the filter you suggested.

about your workaround...actually it would have helped before, it's just what i needed, but as I'm not that familiar with all the features u got...anyway i finished my exams, so I'm in the clear, but it's really good to know, cause i hope i'll continue to study though semester has ended, and i do believe that iOS4.0 will give me more problems.
i would've downgraded to 3, but i really like my folders now...

10x. for your assistance and great app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, glad I could help. We might be able to implement intermittently saving the session so that it wouldn't be too destructive if it failed, but I'm more inclined to just stick with that card filter workaround for now at least - sessions are likely getting a major redesign in 2.(3?) to make them less static / immutable than they are now, at which point saving out your progress really won't matter so much.

djwatson

Hi Mike and team,

Got a possible Pleco for iPhone bug.

The 2.12 version history lists the following bug fix:

Fixed a bug that caused English-Chinese searches with only the LDC and a bunch of Chinese-English dictionaries installed to skip over the LDC and only do full-text searches of those other dictionaries.

However, attempting to do a full text Chinese-English search (with a minimum of two characters) of the LDC doesn't work. Pleco skips the LDC?

Cheers!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
djwatson said:
However, attempting to do a full text Chinese-English search (with a minimum of two characters) of the LDC doesn't work. Pleco skips the LDC?

I just tried it here and it seems to work correctly - does full-text search work correctly in other E-C dictionaries? Any chance this might be a word that isn't contained in any LDC entries? Or that you've got an out-of-date version of the LDC database? (you can get the latest from the "Updates" tab in Add-ons)

djwatson

Hmm interesting. I have LDC (with the latest updated db), NWP, PLC and ABC dictionaries installed (also all updated).

Full text search appears to be working fine in Chinese otherwise, just not for LDC.

This is exactly what I'm doing:

1. I enter a full text search for #菌根
2. Nothing comes up, despite the fact that "菌根" is listed as a definition for "mycorrhiza" in LDC
3. If I tap the dictionary names (bottom left corner), LDC does not come up. Only PLC and ABC alternate (NWP doesn't show either but I assume this is because 菌根 is not found)

Cheers!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... maybe it's a settings thing; how are your options configured in the Settings / Dictionary / Search Types and Search Results screens? Also, where is LDC located in the sort order in "Manage Dicts," and if you tap on it in that screen, are the menu / toolbar / search / reader options all checked? And have you created any user dictionaries? In which languages?

radioman

状元
Not a big problem, but since it has happened more than once, thought I would broach it.

Basically - If I am bringing pasteboard information for instant lookup in a Pleco session that is already running, the program works fine, with the lookup taking place. Then I press on a character and the bubble definition comes up. Then I bail on the program (still in background on iOS4). Later, I get another pasteboard of info, get back into Pleco and the bubble with the previous definition is still opened.

sjhuz01

Last used Pleco on my Palm Tungsten in 2008 when an iPhone version was "not likely, due to Apple's strict requirements" (as I remember it being put). Was happy to see the Engadget article today & also thrilled I was able to painlessly switch platforms to something I might actually use again! (...Once I dug up my ancient acct password).

This is by far the most useful & well-thought-out app I have seen, and it beats the pants off KT-Dict in terms of function, customizability & options. Overall it's great & has gotten me excited about studying Chinese again!

That said, I think it's versatility may also be a downside for lazy college students & the like. I'm willing to bet they far outnumber serious academics cruising the App Store :)

A few potential downsides I see as a casual/non-power user:
- Overwhelming options & bit of a learning curve for the interface
I agree w/some previous threads about offering a "simple" and "advanced" user option set. I found myself tweaking stuff I didn't understand before I even bothered looking at the defaults.

- Lengthy & slightly buried explanation of said options.
The User Guide seemed well put together & like it would have all the answers I needed, if only I knew what questions to ask in the first place :p I don't remember now if the intro pop-up pointed to the User Guide at all. If not, that would be helpful. Did I understand that you can't call it "Help"?

For me at least, a lot of the terminology/functions aren't immediately obvious.
I see "Head Pron" and my first thought has NOTHING to do with language study...
I'd never heard the term "Head Word" before today. I think of "character" "hanzi" or even "kanji" before that.

But, I suppose it was a similar story w/the Palm OS version - had to read the manual to figure out what everything did. That just seems unusual these days. I really think having the "simple" and "advanced" option toggles would keep people from getting frustrated or running scared back to KT-Dict.

If nothing else, it's the most customizable thing I've ever seen in the App Store :)

OCR, when it comes out, will be awesome - that feature alone should boost sales if only because it saves lazy college students time!

1 other confusing point:
When trying to import the HSK flashcards txt file, it gives me the option to change the file name & location (presumably to something I will recognize). I changed it to "HSK_Flashcards" and made a "Plecodict" folder. Unfortunately, this causes the import to fail because it can't find the file. When I didn't change the file name or location, it imported just fine, and then lists them as "HSK" anyway. If I can't change the name, why offer the option? Could've just been a mistake on my part, but I found it confusing & a bit frustrating after downloading the file 3 times in 3 different ways.

Anyway, to end on a good note - I was really excited to finally hear that this was available for iPhone (& that I didn't have to repurchase). If/when iPad becomes a more worthwhile purchase for me, I'll happily buy another license. I imagine Pleco integration would be great w reading Chinese text online or perhaps iBooks (if Apple allows either)?

...Japanese version?? "Kotoba!" is pretty weak. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sjhuz01 said:
This is by far the most useful & well-thought-out app I have seen, and it beats the pants off KT-Dict in terms of function, customizability & options. Overall it's great & has gotten me excited about studying Chinese again!

Thanks!

sjhuz01 said:
- Overwhelming options & bit of a learning curve for the interface
I agree w/some previous threads about offering a "simple" and "advanced" user option set. I found myself tweaking stuff I didn't understand before I even bothered looking at the defaults.

Definitely something we're working on - there should be separate basic / advanced sets of options in 2.2 (even though some of the other planned enhancements are going to be put on hold because we're rushing to get the new OCR feature out).

sjhuz01 said:
- Lengthy & slightly buried explanation of said options.
The User Guide seemed well put together & like it would have all the answers I needed, if only I knew what questions to ask in the first place I don't remember now if the intro pop-up pointed to the User Guide at all. If not, that would be helpful. Did I understand that you can't call it "Help"?

The intro doesn't point to it but it probably should. "Help" versus "Manual" is an interesting question, but even if "manual" is more precise "help" is probably easier to recognize, so good point on that one.

sjhuz01 said:
For me at least, a lot of the terminology/functions aren't immediately obvious.
I see "Head Pron" and my first thought has NOTHING to do with language study...
I'd never heard the term "Head Word" before today. I think of "character" "hanzi" or even "kanji" before that.

That's a leftover from when we were trying harder to support English-Chinese along with Chinese-English flashcards - now that we've largely given up on / buried the option for that it would probably make sense to change them to be more descriptive.

sjhuz01 said:
When trying to import the HSK flashcards txt file, it gives me the option to change the file name & location (presumably to something I will recognize). I changed it to "HSK_Flashcards" and made a "Plecodict" folder. Unfortunately, this causes the import to fail because it can't find the file. When I didn't change the file name or location, it imported just fine, and then lists them as "HSK" anyway. If I can't change the name, why offer the option? Could've just been a mistake on my part, but I found it confusing & a bit frustrating after downloading the file 3 times in 3 different ways.

Are you referring to the prompt asking you to save the HSK flashcard file? It's a two-step process - you save the file from the web browser, then import it from the Import Cards screen. We let you change the file name because you might have another file of the same name, or you might want to name the file in a more descriptive way so that you can more easily locate it in Import Cards, but in either case all you're naming is the text file. You'd then go into Import Cards and pick that text file - whichever one you'd saved - before importing it; tapping on the button to select a file to import should show you all of the files you've downloaded.

sjhuz01 said:
Anyway, to end on a good note - I was really excited to finally hear that this was available for iPhone (& that I didn't have to repurchase). If/when iPad becomes a more worthwhile purchase for me, I'll happily buy another license. I imagine Pleco integration would be great w reading Chinese text online or perhaps iBooks (if Apple allows either)?

No iBooks integration, but yes on online - the direct-tap-to-lookup "Live Mode" is a bit experimental / finicky, but you can very easily copy out a paragraph of text at a time and look at those.

sjhuz01 said:
...Japanese version?? "Kotoba!" is pretty weak. Thanks!

Too difficult to break in / expensive to license the necessary dictionaries, unfortunately; there are already a bunch of established players in the paid Japanese dictionary field and we aren't confident enough that we'd make our investment back from a Japanese Pleco app.

djwatson

Hey Mike, sorry for the delayed reply. Many thanks for your help so far.

I've double and triple checked these settings:

Hmm... maybe it's a settings thing; how are your options configured in the Settings / Dictionary / Search Types and Search Results screens?

Settings are (from top to bottom):

Search Types = ON, OFF, ON, ON, ON, #, OFF, @, $, OFF
Search Results = Enabled, Never, ON, 1/4 sec, Word Length, ON, OFF, From Current, OFF, OFF

Also, where is LDC located in the sort order in "Manage Dicts," and if you tap on it in that screen, are the menu / toolbar / search / reader options all checked?

"Manage Dicts" > "English" > LDC is located 2nd under NWP. Menu / toolbar / search / reader options are all checked. Only as fallback is OFF.

And have you created any user dictionaries? In which languages?

No user dictionaries created.

Any other ideas? Many thanks, I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
djwatson said:
Any other ideas? Many thanks, I really appreciate it.

Still no luck reproducing this - I even did a brand new download from iTunes / reinstall just to double-check and it still seemed to do a full-text search of the LDC perfectly. There isn't any chance you might be entering an extra character after the #, is there? Or that you're entering a double-width one using a Chinese keyboard (instead of just tapping on the "Full" button)? Could you give me a set of steps to reproduce this in as much detail as possible - perform such-and-such other search, dictionary is now X, language is now X, tap on input bar, clear it, enter characters, tap Full button, etc?