18,896 HSK sentences

I'm planning to try using it for a while and see if the word selection suits me. One idea is that might be better to increase the number of sentences for HSK words, but I like to try guessing non-HSK words to so currently the number of sentences which use HSK words is only about 8000 out of the total of 23000.

Have a nice day (or night) too!
Yes, I also think shorter sentences are more idiomatic, i.e. more natural, and easier to remember, and more useful for various situations.

Thanks! It's bright afternoon daylight here.
Thank for this amazing deck!
I've just started to test this but I've found out that the phrases are probably put in random order and not in an ascending order complexity. Is there some option to change this?
Hi Dodoxo,

you're welcome! You're right, I trusted the file too much. I've just ordered the first file by length. Leguan's excellent list already only has relatively short sentences, so I guess I don't need to do the same with that.

If you change Card Selection > System to Fixed (and Created: ascending) it should take the cards in order, i.e. it should start with the simplest sentence.

Last edited:
Mike, is there any date for new Flashcards beta?

For the last file from @Shun - why Pleco's word search doesn't work in FC?
Even for simplest words, it's impossible to select a word - char by char only.
I.e. in first two sentences I cannot select neither ganmao nor dianhua as a word. Only the way - select a word, copy it to Clipboard, go to Search Screen, paste, look.
Hi Bvo,

if you import the file into a User Dictionary (when importing as flashcards), you can search. After having selected a word, you can tap the round arrow or the square with arrow in Android to see its definition.

Using sentences as flashcards is unorthodox. I'm sure a future version of Pleco will add some extra support for them.

Last edited:
Hi @Shun,
it's not about search, it's about definitions. As I can see nothing can be searched in other ways, except one I described. No definition could be shown without that search.
May be importing to a user dict could help, but honestly, I give up trying to make current Pleco FC system work :)
Mike, I have only one request - do not leave users without an alternative, plz pay a big attention to let users use external readers and Flashcard systems.

Staff member
@Bvo - that's intentional; flashcards are mainly designed around words, sentences are as @Shun suggests a bit of a hack, and for words, since you're already viewing the definition we assume you're interested in drilling down into individual characters and so do that directly. Otherwise when you tapped on a word at the top of a word flashcard you'd simply get the exact same definition you were already looking at, which wouldn't be very helpful.

We can't support external flashcards on iOS because it's not really technically possible, and so we pretty much have to focus on doing the best we can in our own app. We don't mind supporting AnkiDroid integration on Android since it was relatively easy to do but I don't anticipate us spending a great deal more time on external flashcards until it's become clear whether there are any major needs our new flashcard system is incapable of meeting + can't easily be modified to meet. (it's not an exaggeration to say that you can copy Anki's algorithm *exactly* in our new flashcard system if you want to, right down to subtle things like showing sub-1-day-interval 'learning' cards first but greater-than-1-day-interval ones last, so I'm optimistic that once that's out people will see little reason to still want to use external flashcards)
thank you for all the help on this forum, but IMHO almost all functionality of the app requires some 'crutches'. I'm speaking not as a developer, but as a user. A customer (paid user). And as a customer I'm not satisfied. I spend too much time to learn the app and I still cannot accommodate it to my habits.
That's my impression/opinion.
I'm not indignant - may be I'm some kind of special users, but I hope someday I'll be happy with the app :)
But now I want to find a way to use it with other apps.
of course you're free to do so. I can't really speak for others, the app seemed really clean and well-structured to me, also version 3.2, but everyone has different thinking structures, don't they? Try to approach the app with patience, then you'll grasp it. :)

Staff member
Nope, we plan to pretty much drop it out of the sky one day. But it’ll probably be iOS-only at first in any case - most of the code is cross-platform C, but the bits that aren’t we’d rather not have to synchronize for every beta; better to nail it down on one platform before we port it to the other, and iOS sadly has far more Pleco users.
Yes, I have feeling that Pleco is more about iOS than about Android, too. Though I do understand why...
But that's it - perhaps the New FC will be out someday (somewhere somehow :)), perhaps next to "Pleco for Desktop" topic will be another one where we will discuss in 10 years who needs the New Flashcards System while there are more important things :)

As for
No definition could be shown without that search
- actually it's possible to use Screen Reader to make it work. Though using Pleco's Flashcards system is not required :)

Generally speaking, proceeding from realities of today I think that SR/OCR is a good way of "integration" (especially since it seems there still will be no others).
So I'm just waiting when it will be out from beta stage :)