Windows mobile 6 and HTC Touch

Gizmo

That's very kind, thanks. Not sure i'll have time to head to Nanjing on this trip but the Dopod people here in beijing gave me a number in Shanghai where i can get it done. I'll let you know how i get on.. Cheers!

Hi, my name is Luca, i ma italian and live in nanjing

i need your help, please

i have a dopod s1, from china mobile, in chinese and i need the english rom OS
I read you found i place in nanjing you can have it

Could you please tell me where to go and pay to install in S1 ?

thanks

Luca

chao-ren

进士
Just some updates on the Shanghai (HTC Touch/Dopod S1) situation:

a) If you want the Chinese interface version converted to an English/international version,
it will cost you around RMB 100 in Shanghai. Shop is in XuJiaHui, Mei Luo Cheng/ 美罗城=百脑汇 。
Ask taxi man how to get there. When there, ask for Andy who's shop is near the main entrance. :twisted:

b)if you want to buy a 水货 original English version, price is now down to RMB3100.
Only drawback with buying 水货 is that the guarantee is a bit shoddy. Within a month
the shop would probably honor the pledge but beyond ???

c) the real official product/ 行货 /not 水货 is around RMB3700 now in Shanghai
but the OS interface is Simplified Chinese. Guarantee is for 1 year.

:twisted: Incidentally selling 水货 is ILLEGAL in China. So most "watery" vendors are not likely
to post adverts or tell you their shop addresses too specifically. If you are still interested in the 水货 product instead of 行货(HUNG-HUO)just walk into the computer arcade looking for shops selling PDAs. Andy is not far from the main entrance. You don't need to know his mobile no.

If you want to seriously increase your phone memory you must read this.

Made the plunge and bought a shuihuo touch a few days ago. Few points:
1. Couldn't find Andy, found 'Sam' instead. Price basically as suggested above.
2. Was initially very disappointed how quickly the phone memory filled up - even though I was installing all programs onto a 2GB storage card.
3. HOWEVER, after doing a bit of research on a site suggested to me by crivens200 (http://forum.xda-developers.com), discovered you can download and install 'tweaked' ROMs (operating system) which frees up significant amounts of memory (so paying that extra rmb100 to Sam/Andy/whoever is a waste as it's actually v v simple to do it yourself).
4. There are a few different versions of tweaked ROMs - so look around the site and choose your favourite. This is the one I went for and it also appears to free up the most amount of memory:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=339935

The benefits of the tweaked ROM are outstanding. EG was impossible to use Skype before, now works fine (provided nothing else running). Can load many more programs onto my Touch. It even seems faster, but i don't want to guarantee that seeing as I really only used the original format for a few hours.

NB 1 - V IMPORTANT POINT - Loading a new ROM on your phone will completely wipe everything on it (but not on the storage card) - it's essentially the same as reformating your PC/Mac. You'll have to reinstall all your old apps/setting etc. But frankly what i have now feels like a far superior phone - have a load of apps on there and still have space for more.

NB 2 - the appearance of these tweaked ROMS also differs to the original format. Believe it's possible to change to the original look if that's what you want but I've just stuck with the default of this one - has a kinda blue iPhone look to it.

Good luck

ipsi

状元
I do advise caution with Custom ROMs. While I know next to nothing about WM I have heard that with Palm, it's quite easy to brick your phone if you aren't careful with these things. I'd imagine something similar applies to WM devices as well. Plenty of people are successful though :).

It will also likely void your warrenty. Not relevant for some (all?) of the posters in this thread, but it is important for some.

fulviob

Hello, forgive me if I ask a silly question, but I was caught be this doubt: I am about to but an HTC Touch (the new enhanced version) to use pleco and skype on it.. and I was wondering, if I buy the english version from expansys (or any other source), will it be able to read and write text messages in simplified chinese or chinese in general? Or should I go for the simplified chinese version I can find here in Beijing (does anyone know of a good place to buy it?) but facing nightmares trying to install skype on a chinese os?
thank you for the advice,
Fulvio

ldolse

状元
The english version won't ship with Chinese support. Why all of the Asian carriers and HTC themselves continue to harbor the belief that no laowai or non-native Chinese person would desire this is beyond me. Anyway, here are the instructions, copied from another thread. Mike, this question seems to come up all the time - would it be possible to stick these instructions on your support page, or possibly have the final Pleco 2.0 installation cab install the font to the windows directory and set the right keys?

CE-Star
CE-Star is the idiot-proof option if you don't want to follow the rather complex instructions below. Most HTC devices come with a license for this, you just need to figure out how to download from their site. Personally I'm not a big fan of it, as it adds a lot of bloat to the system. Everything CE-Star does can be done for free aside from Handwriting recognition.

To display chinese for free throughout Windows Mobile:
You need to move the ZYSong font which ships with Pleco to the Windows directory. Exit PlecoDict completely, using the Quit command in the Dict menu, then use File Explorer to go to \\Program Files\PlecoDict; tap-hold on SimSun and choose "Cut" from the menu that pops up. After that, go to \\Windows\, tap-hold in an empty space in that window and choose "Paste" to move the font there.

The hard part from here is that you need to edit the registry, which requires a separate registry editor - Total Commander is one free option. I'm not going to go into specific steps on how to edit the registry here. Go to this MSDN article for a listing of all the keys that need to be modified: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms901082.aspx

Change the tags referenced there, but you'll modify the string they use:
\windows\simsun.ttc,NSimSun
becomes:
\windows\simsun.ttc,ZYSong

Soft reset your Pocket PC (stick a paperclip in the reset hole in the back). Chinese should be displayed throughout your system now. In Microsoft Word ZYSong should now show up in the list of available fonts.

To Input Chinese for free:

I started using ZTA4 for Pinyin input, though it also seems to support stroke and t9 styles as well. It walks all over CE-Star's pinyin input. (much better prediction, learns, and allows you to enter just the first pinyin letters of each syllable in a phrase for faster entry)

Download here:
http://www.a4user.com/A4_down_sip.asp

Other things you need to be aware of:
  • Pocket Outlook will default to your local encoding when sending email, you need to manually change each chinese email to UTF-8
  • SMS support is dependent on your carrier. Most U.S. carriers can't handle chinese SMS, most Asian ones can. If the carrier supports it you don't need to do anything special.
  • Big5 and GB2312 encoded web pages - CE-Star has a special hack which does this, but uses a lot of memory. If you really need to see those types of pages a better solution is to find a cooked ROM with a WinCE.nls file containing the Chinese encodings. I've never needed to read those types of web pages on my PPC, so just enabling the character display and installing a free IME is enough for me.

ipsi

状元
How does it handle Chinese SMS when the only option is UTF-8? I was under the impression that all Chinese Cellphones used GB2312 for encoding SMS messages? Is that wrong, or is the HTC stuff capable of dealing with that properly?

ldolse

状元
I thought that SMS was GB2312 encoded too in the past, but I'm more inclined to think it's unicode these days. I find the whole SMS encoding thing to be a bit of black magic, but when it works it just works, and there's nothing special that has to be done.

Examples where I originally tested this:
HTC Wizard, Cingular SIM - zero support
HTC Wizard, China Mobile SIM, flawless support, no config required aside from font display described previously.

Since I don't have the GB2312 code pages installed, I assume it's Unicode. However, I've also used the talk2china.com sms service in the past, and that particular service requires the emailed SMS format to be encoded GB2312, so I'm not sure if they're translating on the back end or what.

I've since tried a lot of phones and SIMS, and generally speaking whether it works seems to be tied more to the carrier than the phone. I've got three SIMS from various countries in Asia, they all work fine, and the Cingular/ATT SIM doesn't.

ipsi

状元
Yeah, that sounds like Black Magic to me. I know that SMS messages I receive on my Palm are GB2312 encoded, as they're only 2 bytes long (compare to UTF-8, where they're [Chinese] all 3 bytes). All I need to do is turn off CJKOS to check that. But if your device works fine with UTF-8, then I'm just confused.

I'm especially confused as to how it knows what to send to Palm OS devices, which have no Chinese support by default?

Although, I suppose CJKOS could be doing some converting in the background, but I'm not sure about that. But if that's the case then why on Earth would they only support entry of GB2312/Big5?

Gah, confused.

chao-ren

进士
If anyone is thinking of getting a new HTC Touch/Dopod S1, a newer version has just come to the market, the HTC Touch DUAL. Unfortunately although the newer version went some ways towards correcting the shortfalls of the previous version: smallish hard to see soft keypad, low memory and cpu power (only 128MB/200MHz) etc.. { since most English version have to run memory sapping C.E.Star AND PlecoDict (10MB) or Skype (7MB) -even though these are already installed partially on external memory cards } , the newer DUAL does not have WiFi ! Yes, amazingly and I repeat a pda phone without Wifi. Who are they kidding?

What a big blow this is for people who need to make lots of Skype (IDD) long distance calls or have internet access the traditional (by now) almost free method. Instead with the new DUAL you need to connect using its other "extra" = 3G which is, at least for now, practically impossible or useless within China!

So conclusion: The one thousand yuan (Rmb/HK dollars) price tag difference for the new DUAL versus the previous simple HTC Touch version would have been worth it considering that both the main memory (ROM) and processor power (400Mhz) has been literally DOUBLED and the IDD savings from SKYPE would more than compensate for this extra price tag. The year is almost 2008, who in their right mind would want a pda WITHOUT Wifi access!

ipsi

状元
Umm... I've got a 680 (which does not have Wifi), and there are almost no situations where having wifi would be worth it. If I was still at Uni and thus had Wifi everywhere, maybe, but I'm not, and there aren't exactly a lot of free Wifi zones out there where I live.

It'd be nice, sure, but it's in no way essential for me. If I'm at home, then I've got my laptop, which is generally better for most things. While it may be nice to Skype with my phone, my laptop will do it just fine.

I dunno. I really don't see a huge need for Wifi at the moment, on a PDA-type device. In a few more years, maybe, but until Wifi hotspots proliferate sufficiently, there's just not much point.

This may be different in other countries, that's just my observations based on where I live.

chao-ren

进士
I dunno. I really don't see a huge need for Wifi at the moment, on a PDA-type device. In a few more years, maybe, but until Wifi hotspots proliferate sufficiently, there's just not much point.

Well in Asian cities like Hong Kong or Singapore or Seoul, Wi-Fi is getting more and more ubiquitous. Wi-Fi is will be free in most Hong Kong public places like libraries, airports, train stations etc..This is the govt official aim. .You can also get lots of important information through the Internet that you normally would not subscribe via GPRS. Some people in Hong Kong still do not subscribe to a 3G phone. I don't see betting results for say horse racing or share prices being exclusively transmitted through 3G. In Shanghai I am hoping that the govt will follow the example of Singapore or Soeul and make the entire city area Wifiable leap frogging over the "too much" reliance on the imminent 3G or 4G?. Wifi is cheap and will be cheaper.

For poor students I guess Wifi will always be their mainstay for making calls over the Internet. Yes I admit this is very marginal use, probably not important considering that the quality is not good at times.

I think staying "connected" for most Asian cities will be increasingly economical as long as you have a lot of choice. At the present moment I have to call the telephone company to locate my elderly father. They use a technology similar to GPS. I am hoping that I can get this information without my father having to switch on his mobile phone.

ipsi

状元
I suppose that's true, but that's just one area - there are plenty of other places in the world where the presence (or absence) of Wifi is not much of a selling point. I think it really depends on where they get most of their sales from. Also, if it's targeted mainly at the US, the US carrier could have decreed "No Wifi"...

I also don't see 3G as competing with Wifi an awful lot. Again, over here 3G is around, but the only thing you can do with 3G that you can't with 2/2.5G is video calling - you're accessing the internet, no matter how you go about doing it. If there is anything that's only available on 3G, it's most likely a carrier-specific thing. Not entirely sure what your point is though...

ldolse

状元
I travel in a lot of Asian cities, the only one where the wifi has ever helped me was Japan, and that was only back when I had an HTC wizard which couldn't talk on their mobile networks. Internet Explorer on the PDA just sucks, if it's lucky enough to render the wifi login page it's still not worth browsing on it. The iphone is a bit different with it's browser, but I wouldn't miss wifi on Windows Mobile. GPRS is good enough for me with what I do, HSDPA and 3G aren't worthwhile to me because of roaming costs and battery life. I'll need to check out this version of the touch, sounds like it fixes some of the things I didn't like on the original version...

I bought a Dual since I just lost my Touch a few weeks ago in the back of a cab. The speed increase has been quite nice but the damn thing is in Traditional Chinese instead of English. I know enough Chinese to get by but the one thing that has stumped me is how to do Chinese input! Trad Chinese uses an input software called Multiplay. The problem is everytime I want to use ZTA to type a simplified Chinese message, it defaults back to Multiplay. Has anyone else encountered this before?

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Wanting to find out some more about IMEs I stumbled across this thread.

First of all I got an answer or at least some direction for the last question: there are tweaking softwares that claim to be able to change the IME more consisteantly. I was just checking out some, so I am not 100% sure which one it was: Pocket Mechanic, MemMaid, SK Tools (which I finally bouht) or Tweaks2k2. At least one of them claimed to be able to do something about it (I don't have this problem).*

Another point is:
can we create some comparison between the different Chinese IMEs? Maybe Palm and WM?
AFAIK there is:
-Monster Chinese
-CE-STar
-ZTA
-I thought it was on aximsite where I found a way to input chinese with the original MS-IME. Where was it? Here? Cannot find the post any more ...

categories might be (incomplete):
-price
-speed
-ability to learn
-support for TC/SC
-input methods (like bopomofo, pinyin, drawing, etc)
-adaptability to other language PDAs/Palms
-usability for non-chinese people
-Version support (Palm?, WM2003, WM5, WM6)

I got a licence for Monster Chinese and could put in the data of that ...

regards
Daniel

PS.: is CE-STar only for HTC free or can anybody download from their site? Will it work with any PDA?

*However - I think - don't rely on me on this: it looked like Tweaks2k2 is somehow bad for testing because it seems like after the test installation is expired it changes everything that it can tweak back to untweaked - no matter what it actually did tweak. So after that I was not even able to install programs from cab files that came from a source that was considered insecure. That means: if you do not have a backup (Sprite backup in my case or SK tools) you might not want to try it. Besides that I believe that all the tweaks of Tweaks2k2 can be found for free on the web somewhere and many many of them are already standard in PDAs newer than CE2003 ...