Windows mobile 6 and HTC Touch

I actually have a paid for copy of CE-Star from my previous MDA that I can install on my new phone. I didn't realise that there was a free version kicking around.

chao-ren

进士
Hk Version of HTC

Hello,

I am also thinking of getting a Hong Kong version of HTC.
Wonder if anyone would like to share the recent Hong Kong price here.
Can you tell me the price? :roll:
and .Where did you buy it?
In Shanghai the simplified Chinese version is around 4000RMB

Thanks a lot

Bought mine online for HK$3680 from expansys. English version, had CE star already. Took 3 days to get to me in mainland China.

chao-ren

进士
Bobbbbb..

I suppose you mean you can get the English version with CE-Star for the same price. In that case it would be worth considering. I am waiting for a friend to go to Hong Kong to pick mine up before flying back. Unfortunately this year I do not have any real reason yet to go to Hong Kong. Maybe after Christmas.

Is the telephone reception for HTC in China also good? I am really picky about that: sound quality. Anyone use it in China yet?.

Also I would use it for keeping my Contact database as well as writing SMS messages. Then a working Pleco would be nice. In China i have found that most people prefer to receive SMS messages instead of emails. The ratio is probably like 6/10 for SMS, 3/10 for emails and 1/10 like the phone.

Both the English OS HTC Touch and Chinese OS Dopod S1 equivalent are available in mainland China. They are identical except that the HTC Touch comes fitted with WiFi capabilities.

Has anyone used PlecoDict on a Chinese OS PPC and are there any problems? This would help me decide whether to buy the English OS HTC Touch or the Chinese OS Dopod S1.

Coolishen

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Singapore version of HTC.
Wonder if anyone would like to share the recent Singapore price here and where'd you bought it?
I live in Shanghai, so if anybody happen to know where in Shanghai to get a "shui huo"-ex with wifi enabled, that would also be of great help.

Thanks a lot

// Alex

chao-ren

进士
I am not so sure what you mean by a "Singapore" version of HTC, do you mean English interface(with Wi-Fi)? Well last month I was in Singapore and the prices for their HTC English Interface version was around SGD$750 (+/- $10). Challenger stores (Funan Center) was offering a "special" package including: car charger? wireless Jabra bluetooth earphone for an extra SGD$100, or SGD$840. If you are not Singaporean, you can get the Sales tax rebated back at the airport.

In Hong Kong the HTC (traditional Chinese interface/Taiwan version) was completely sold out at least last month.That was how hot this model was. What they had was some English version which was available also at the airport! Price around HK$ 3400. So if you are transitting through Hong Kong because of your ticket, you can pick one up at the airport Fortress stores for less than what you would need to pay in Singapore. :idea: :p

水货: If you are a Singaporean, you probably know XuJiahui,Metro City (徐家汇,美罗城)because it was built by a Singaporean developer. Inside you'll see lots of Singapore style restaurants and the food court(大食代) downstairs also provide lots of Singapore style food! :) The second tower of this Metro City is filled with computer stores, all the way up to the highest level 6th floor cinema. You can get an English interface version with Wi-Fi for around RMB 3600 (watery product). Just head for the shops selling PDAs and ask around and someone will bring you to the dealer or bring the item to the store you are at. There is one near the second entrance or next to the escalator.

Why does the Da Lu(大陆) "S1" version not have Wi-Fi and still costs more than the same overseas HTC machine with Wi-Fi? :eek: This is an interesting debate. According to one Dopod executive, it is because China Mobile especially requested that the mainland China version must "encourage" people to use the Internet service offered by the mobile companies and not enjoy "free" service from elsewhere. :shock:

One thing I don't like about Windows Mobile is that you can sync everything except your SMSes.. SMSes are very important in China, having not really gone to multi-media or other fancy 3G yet. You can download and upload all your Office documents, your emails etc...(thank you) but why not your SMS? :x
Anyone found out how :?: , let me know. I still prefer my trusty Nokia with PC Suite.

I just bought my HTC Touch in Nanjing and have unfortunately found that it does not have WiFi capabilities. It has a Chinese OS and is an HTC Touch not the Dopod S1. Am I correct in saying that since it is an HTC Touch then it should have WiFi? I asked multipIe times if the cellphone originated outside of China and they said it had and was shipped in via Shenzhen. I am going back to the store tomorrow to have them install the English OS hoping that will solve the problem. Anybody have any other ideas about what might be going on? By the way I got it for 3,200RMB with an extra battery thrown in just in case you are interested.

chao-ren

进士
For your information:

a) There is no such thing as "Dopod" any more since HTC (the Taiwan company) acquired all of Dopod's (a Taiwan company) operations some weeks ago.

b) You will find all of Dopod's old products now renamed HTC- @#$% etc.. at their official combined website http://www.htc.com

c) the previously named "Dopod S1" or mainland China's version of HTC-Touch does not come with Wi-Fi capabilities and uses a Chinese simplified character interface (of Windows Mobile 6 professional). In Shanghai it is strangely still selling above RMB¥4400!

d) both the international version (English interface) and Hong Kong or Taiwan version (Traditional Chinese interface) come with
Wi-Fi capabilities.

e) If the China version of HTC Touch or S1 is identical to the Hong Kong or Taiwan version (hardware-wise) then simply installing
an English Mobile OS or Traditional Chinese OS may just do the trick and provide Wi-Fi capability.

Chao-ren,
Thanks for clearing some of those things up. My situation belongs in that last category where I have a Hong Kong or Taiwan machine that has all of the hardware and once I swtiched it to an English OS I had no problems accessing WiFi. It is amazing how many of my Chinese friends who have this phone do not realize they are missing the WiFi application. China Mobile really pulled a fast one there!!!

-Nik- said:
NanjingRen, can i ask you, how did you change to English OS to get the wifi?

I took my Touch back to the shop I bought it and asked if there was any way they could switch it to English and they said yes for an extra 100RMB. They never gave me the installation disks and I didn't even see them install the English WM6 but it works with no problems and my Chinese friends with me also seemed to be comfortable with the situation. The WiFi works with no problems, as well as all other apps.

-Nik-

Would you guess thats a service only your shop offers or something widespread. I wonder if they use a genuine version. Not that it would mather.
NanjingRen, another question, do you use other application and programs on this phone, and if so do you feel this is a slow phone?

Thank you.

I would think that this would be something that almost any cell phone shop in China could do, especially for 水货 type products. They didn't make a big deal about it and it took less than 30 minutes for them to switch.

Unfortunately this is my first PDAphone so I have nothing to really compare it to other than my expectations. However, I believe the speed is adequate. I often run word and plecodict at the same time and have not noticed any significant speed problems. I also have a couple of games like soccer and tetris that I often play and they never have speed problems. But if you do use a large application like a game, you need to remember to close all other applications before doing so. Unlike my old Palm m505, where u close a program and it is actually closed, in WM6 if you close or 'X' out of the program it is still runnining in the background. You need to actually stop the program and this has been described earlier in this thread. Also, sometimes my Windows Media PLayer will be a little slow to respond but it may be due to the amount of music I have on my library (I have a 4gb Micro SD card). Otherwise I have no problems with the speed. If you are still worried about the speed, you should check out this link of a new HTC product that is VERY similar to the Touch but has a 400mhz processor, coming out in November I believe.
http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=803&view=1
Hope that helps.

Today I have discovered that I am having problems displaying received text messages and writing new ones. I am able to access the message menu and see new messages and theeir summaries but when I select a message to view the entire message a the normal screen appears with 'reply' and 'menu' buttons at the bottom but the message screen is blank. I am wondering if this is something that has been caused by PlecoDict or is it a problem with my OS? I have been using Pleco on this Touch for about 10 days now and have no major problems other than the ones previously stated on the forum. Let me know if you have experienced this. Otherwise, I think I will be forced to do a hard reset and reinstall Pleco and other apps! Tai mafan! thanks.

It seems I have resolved my own problem with text messages, although I am not 100% certain that it is resolved or how it is resolved. It is more of a coincidence than anything else I did. I have recently been experiencing problems with my WiFi connection at home, so I was working in Internet Explorer on my mobile connected via my neighbor's WiFi connection. I usually test a few webpages to see how they are loading and one of them happened to be http://www.skype.com. Since I am in China it automatically redirectd me to http://www.skype.tom.com, which is the China page and displays Chinese characters. However, my Chinese characters were not displaying properly so I went to 'Menu', 'Tools', 'Options', General tab and saw that displayed in my default character setting for encoding was a chinese set (sorry i do not remember the name and I am no longer able to display it). I changed this to Western European in order to at least view the English on the webpage. After changing it I was able to view the webpage in English, so I thought I would change it back to the Chinese set and try another website, but I was unable to do so as the Chinese set was no longer an option and is still no longer an option. I even tried opening and 'quitting' pleco, opening and 'exiting' pleco thinking this may change the character sets in Internet Explorer but it did not. The result is I am able to read my text messages in Chinese and English and am able to browse webpages in English only, albeit via my neighbors connection (havent solved my home connection problem yet). All of this leads me to wonder a couple of things that I believe are beyond my basic skill level involving fonts and how they interact within WM6, especially between pleco and WM6. I also am running a trial version of CE-Star and to date have had no major problems with either. I am at least happy with things being resolved but would like a more clear explanation of what may of happened if someone can offer it. That way, next time, and I am quite sure there will be a next time, I can be a little more certain I know what I am doing :D ! And maybe if I am lucky all of this will go away in Pleco2 if that is what is causing it. Thanks!

Gizmo

Hi NanjingRen,
I will be heading to Shanghai nex week can you please give me the name address and phone number of the shop who changed the language on your S1. Tried here in Beijing but no luck.

Cheers

Gizom, I bought it in Nanjing, but if you want to make the two hour train ride up here from shanghai I can take you there. I have had two other friends buy the Touch from the same store and they love it. Just let me know.