saving flashcard test sets

dcarpent

榜眼
After you have set up a test under "Flashcard Testing," selecting one or more categores, a profile, a test type, test settings, etc., and then work with it for a few days, is there any way to save that particular set of cards along with the settings and resulting scores so that you can return to it at a later date? In the meanwhile I would like to set up other tests and be able to keep them as well. Right now, when I set up a test with "Spaced Repetition," if I then set up another test using different categories I have recreate the first test if I want to return to it. I would like to have multiple tests, all using spaced repetition, that I can work with whenever without having to set them up each time. Since I combine several different categories in such tests, it is hard to remember which categories were included in which test, and thus it is hard to recreate them unless I write all this information down, and that is such a bother. Is there already a way to do this that I'm missing? If not, would this be a possible additional feature?

yoose

探花
if you go to the select profile page where you can select Spaced Repetition press the Manage button on the lower left. Then select Spaced Repetition. This will bring you to a screen where you can Reset the Settings to default and then make duplicate profiles. After that you can name them whatever you wish and can have separate settings for each of them.

dcarpent

榜眼
Thanks. That worked. I figured this was already possible and something I just didn't know. NOW I see why profiles are important! Amazing. Three years using Pleco and just now learning this. I realized that Pleco uses profiles but I didn't know you could duplicate them and use them like this. Not too good at connecting the dots, I guess.

yoose

探花
No problem, i could not figure it out in the beginning and did not until mike told me when i asked the same question. it does make it a lot more useful, now if only we could pause one test and start another one without having to stop the current one and restart later.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
No problem, i could not figure it out in the beginning and did not until mike told me when i asked the same question. it does make it a lot more useful, now if only we could pause one test and start another one without having to stop the current one and restart later.

Yeah, we've had a lot of requests for that but it remains a really thorny challenge to get those to synchronize... the only reason why resuming a test is faster than starting a new one is because of all of the database queries we're skipping by saving / restoring the data from the old test, so if we had to synchronize two tests then you'd basically be no better off than as if you were starting a new test each time.

Out of curiosity, why can't you simply exit a test and start another one? Is it because you're trying to work through a specific set of cards ("random" or "fixed" card selection mode, where you see every card in a given category once, rather than "spaced repetition" where it wouldn't matter), or is it because you want to review all of the cards that you've gotten incorrect at the end, or is there some other reason?

yoose

探花
mikelove said:
yoose said:

Yeah, we've had a lot of requests for that but it remains a really thorny challenge to get those to synchronize... the only reason why resuming a test is faster than starting a new one is because of all of the database queries we're skipping by saving / restoring the data from the old test, so if we had to synchronize two tests then you'd basically be no better off than as if you were starting a new test each time.

Out of curiosity, why can't you simply exit a test and start another one? Is it because you're trying to work through a specific set of cards ("random" or "fixed" card selection mode, where you see every card in a given category once, rather than "spaced repetition" where it wouldn't matter), or is it because you want to review all of the cards that you've gotten incorrect at the end, or is there some other reason?

hey mike,

basically i have sets of cards the are cumulative that consists of hundreds of cards and sometime i can not get through them all in one sitting. a set i use for practicing reading, one for writing and ones for different classes. however, for some classes i also have 听写 so i will need to practice a certain chapter. It would just be convenient for me not to have to start the big sets all over again, especially if i have gone through a couple hundred cards already. You are correct that I am not currently using spaced repetition. I have not had enough time to play with the settings to determine what works best with my studying schedule. I have tried it out and hopefully i can move to that eventually. I do use the review incorrect for my small sets so thats not as big of a deal that I have to exit that, its the big sets thats more of a problem. in your experience is the spaced repetition a better learning method? The problem I am having with it is all the scoring and determining when the next card should appear because sometimes my work will get really busy and I wont be able to go through the cards for a few days.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
basically i have sets of cards the are cumulative that consists of hundreds of cards and sometime i can not get through them all in one sitting. a set i use for practicing reading, one for writing and ones for different classes. however, for some classes i also have 听写 so i will need to practice a certain chapter. It would just be convenient for me not to have to start the big sets all over again, especially if i have gone through a couple hundred cards already. You are correct that I am not currently using spaced repetition. I have not had enough time to play with the settings to determine what works best with my studying schedule. I have tried it out and hopefully i can move to that eventually. I do use the review incorrect for my small sets so thats not as big of a deal that I have to exit that, its the big sets thats more of a problem. in your experience is the spaced repetition a better learning method? The problem I am having with it is all the scoring and determining when the next card should appear because sometimes my work will get really busy and I wont be able to go through the cards for a few days.

Makes sense. At the moment our recommended approach to dealing with that would be that you set up a "card filter" to skip cards that you'd reviewed within the last (say) 3 days - that way when you resume the test you'll only get cards you didn't see in your previous partially-completed one.

Spaced repetition fall-behind is a very thorny problem that I don't think any SRS system has really solved yet... at a fundamental level the system only works if you review cards when they're due, so while we can play around with "stretching out" tests to some extent, eventually if you're not keeping up then all we can really do is try to find an easier way to let you remove cards from your study pool.

yoose

探花
mikelove said:
yoose said:

Makes sense. At the moment our recommended approach to dealing with that would be that you set up a "card filter" to skip cards that you'd reviewed within the last (say) 3 days - that way when you resume the test you'll only get cards you didn't see in your previous partially-completed one.

Spaced repetition fall-behind is a very thorny problem that I don't think any SRS system has really solved yet... at a fundamental level the system only works if you review cards when they're due, so while we can play around with "stretching out" tests to some extent, eventually if you're not keeping up then all we can really do is try to find an easier way to let you remove cards from your study pool.

thanks for the advice Mike. I was wondering if it would be hard to change the option to review wrong cards slightly. Basically I want the wrong cards to keep repeating until i get them all correct instead of just going through them once. the second time around I sometimes still get some wrong and would like to go through those again as seeing those more helps me learn it faster.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
thanks for the advice Mike. I was wondering if it would be hard to change the option to review wrong cards slightly. Basically I want the wrong cards to keep repeating until i get them all correct instead of just going through them once. the second time around I sometimes still get some wrong and would like to go through those again as seeing those more helps me learn it faster.

Already available, turn on "Loop" right below the "Repeat incorrect" option. You can also turn on "Shuffle" which changes the order of the cards each time through.

yoose

探花
mikelove said:
yoose said:

Already available, turn on "Loop" right below the "Repeat incorrect" option. You can also turn on "Shuffle" which changes the order of the cards each time through.

sigh, i knew you would not have left that out. i always wondered what the loop option did, but could not find it in the manual. thanks.

yuvalcho

举人
hey.

i m one of those pesky ppl whom also was bothered with that.
y not just make n option to have a test without score?
most of the time it will b just a quick flashcard testing that i need, just a focus one, then i'll continue with my real and long test...

thanks.

****** EDIT
i've never noticed that before, but have u just given me a chinese name? Xiucai?!?!?!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
i m one of those pesky ppl whom also was bothered with that.
y not just make n option to have a test without score?
most of the time it will b just a quick flashcard testing that i need, just a focus one, then i'll continue with my real and long test...

There already is one; Flashcard Testing / More Settings / Scoring, set "Scoring system" to "None." Make one profile with that for your quick score-less testing and another profile with normal scoring for your longer tests.

yuvalcho said:
i've never noticed that before, but have u just given me a chinese name? Xiucai?!?!?!

Actually it's a "rank badge" based on how many posts you've made. Our ranks are based on the old Imperial Examination System, so you start out as a 秀才 (with 10 posts) and then work your way up to 状元 (with 125).

yuvalcho

举人
ok, so i see this as a workaround for the fact that you are afraid it will mess up the scoring system if you save 1 session and start a different 1 (no scoring) finishing it, and then go back to the first session. this would b really useful i think.

oh and great for the system, i just noticed u r huangdi...respect (-:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
ok, so i see this as a workaround for the fact that you are afraid it will mess up the scoring system if you save 1 session and start a different 1 (no scoring) finishing it, and then go back to the first session. this would b really useful i think.

I really think it would be cleaner / easier if we can just come up with a way for people to get the same benefits they'd get from more than one saved session in other ways - make it easier to access cards answered incorrectly in the last N tests (or last N days) through some sort of more direct shortcut, e.g. There's no benefit to an extra saved session that I'm aware of that couldn't also be achieved with a properly-configured new test, we just need to make that easier to set up.

yuvalcho

举人
cleaner, maybe, though the fact is that till now Pleco team hasn't found one yet.
simple, not sure, and let me explain.
u made an amazing flashcard system with a lot of options, moat of them are for advanced users, and require a lot of reading in the manual. i m sure that most users dont know or even understand them, so even if u make the mother of all cleaner and simple solutions, it will still be complicated for someone that just uses the basic stuff. it will be easier for "him" to stop a session (for any reason) and then just start a short second session (non scoring).
i really cant see how u can work around the scenario someone starts a long session(700 cards), stops cause he runs out of time, but after a day wants to start a quick session for a totally different subject. example: session1- 700 most used words. out of time. then have a art history lesson and need to check these 15 new words. it is a great shame to stop session 1 which has nothing to do with session 2. i know u can configure this by tweaking the next session card selection, but in my eyes, a new session is the clean and simple method.
i know sometimes it's annoying that people might skip some of your great features and wouldnt even try them nor appreciate them if you give them/us the "dummy" way, but not all of us are the sharpest knife in the drawer including myself

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
cleaner, maybe, though the fact is that till now Pleco team hasn't found one yet.

We've got several ideas, and I don't think any of them would take longer to implement than support for multiple saved sessions - we just haven't had time to implement them, and even among flashcard enhancements we have a hard time prioritizing them over other more heavily-requested features like iCloud sync.

yuvalcho said:
i really cant see how u can work around the scenario someone starts a long session(700 cards), stops cause he runs out of time, but after a day wants to start a quick session for a totally different subject. example: session1- 700 most used words. out of time. then have a art history lesson and need to check these 15 new words. it is a great shame to stop session 1 which has nothing to do with session 2. i know u can configure this by tweaking the next session card selection, but in my eyes, a new session is the clean and simple method.

Well how about a setting that says "don't repeat any cards until I've run through all of them once"? That way you no longer really even need to worry about saved sessions - any time you launch a test with a given profile, it'll run through the cards that haven't been tested recently, then when it runs out of cards it resets the "tested recently" flag on all of them and starts over again. It seems like with a 700 card session that you're frequently not finishing, you're really just trying to run through each card roughly the same number of times. Plus, this way you can review recent incorrect cards whenever you like (perhaps those would have a rolling queue of some kind as well), and since you don't have a saved session with a set list of cards, if you add new cards in between runs you don't lose them.

It seems like once you're dealing with multiple saved sessions, you're really just trying to maintain a queue of cards to study to prevent repeats, so we ought to design the system to more specifically accommodate that.

yuvalcho

举人
problem starts what recently is...and sometimes u continue soon the long session and sometimes not soon and sometimes not at all, so that means definitely tweaking and my which also requires some kind of experience (i mean learning with flashcards) whereas a second will be just perfect for beginners. it is kind of annoying going to the manual every time i want to change something and i already forgot it (after changing a while ago).

in anyways...that's all i can say about it. not gonna try convincing you anymore.
as you said, there are ways to deal with it, just have to dig a little bit and understand them.

thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
problem starts what recently is...and sometimes u continue soon the long session and sometimes not soon and sometimes not at all, so that means definitely tweaking and my which also requires some kind of experience (i mean learning with flashcards) whereas a second will be just perfect for beginners. it is kind of annoying going to the manual every time i want to change something and i already forgot it (after changing a while ago).

in anyways...that's all i can say about it. not gonna try convincing you anymore.
as you said, there are ways to deal with it, just have to dig a little bit and understand them.

Well hopefully with some UI improvements we can address this - I can't believe that there isn't a way to do this that's less complicated than multiple saved sessions.

etm001

状元
Hi,

I also would like to see Pleco updated so that it can support concurrent flashcard tests. Here's a real-life example: I want to assess how well I've learned the vocabulary that I've studied in the past 5 months. I want to test myself in two ways:

• Character Test: reveal the character(s), correctly recall the pronunciation/tone and definition.
  • Definition Test: reveal the English definition, correctly write the character(s) and correctly recall the pronunciation/tone.

For ~1,400 words, I was able to complete the Character Test in about 3 hours. But the Definition Test will take much longer (I haven't started yet), and I cannot realistically complete it in one session. Meanwhile, I still need to use Pleco to learn and test myself on new vocabulary words (upwards ~70 per week), thus the need for concurrent flashcard tests.

I read the suggestion earlier in this thread about using a card filter to exclude recently studied cards, which should solve the problem of being re-tested on cards that I had already reviewed in an earlier session, as I work my way through my entire Definition Test.

Just a few other thoughts:

• Although the scenario I gave about is real, it's not common - it's rare that I need/want to test myself on such a large number of words.
  • In thinking about how to support this request in a future version of Pleco, would implementation complexity be reduced if a given scorefile could only be used in one test at a time? (In the scenario I gave, the Character Test and the Definition Test are using different score files).

Regardless of how this request might be implemented in the future, I do think there's an opportunity to improve on the current functionality, and present it to the end user in a more refined and intuitive manner.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
etm001 said:
In thinking about how to support this request in a future version of Pleco, would implementation complexity be reduced if a given scorefile could only be used in one test at a time? (In the scenario I gave, the Character Test and the Definition Test are using different score files).

It would be, yes - however, ultimately the whole idea of a "saved session" is kind of a relic; it ought to be possible to simply pick any profile and pick up where you left off. This will hopefully come at some point within the next year as we finally get rid of "Weighted" testing mode (and of "Score"s in general) and switch to an all-SRS model.