Pleco for Android 2.4.9 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Why not add the cards of Search results to the default category as in the main screen?

They still wouldn't show up at the end of the list. And neither would they show up there if you create them in the root of Organize Cards, since it's impossible for cards to go there either. To me, having that New Cat button sometimes obey the default setting and sometimes not seems worse than having it never obey that setting, particularly since that setting is so consistently tied to the + button - it's always used when you add flashcards with a +, and it's never used when you add flashcards with "New Cat."

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
it's always used when you add flashcards with a +, and it's never used when you add flashcards with "New Cat."
I think you mean "New Card", or there would be some misunderstanding.

If you enter cards with New Card from Organize cards, they go to the actual cat of Organize cards, if you enter cards with New Card from Search results, they go to uncategorized. If that is intentional, I do not understand it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
If you enter cards with New Card from Organize cards, they go to the actual cat of Organize cards, if you enter cards with New Card from Search results, they go to uncategorized. If that is intentional, I do not understand it.

You're forgetting that if you create a New Card from the top-level directory in Organize Cards, it also goes to Uncategorized, which is the critical distinction here. New Card is consistent in ignoring the default category setting.

Lijie

秀才
sometimes when i decide to open my running flashcard session, it gives me a screen I linked, closes pleco, and resets my session. galaxy note 10.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-24-22-31-57.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-24-22-31-57.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 751

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lijie said:
sometimes when i decide to open my running flashcard session, it gives me a screen I linked, closes pleco, and resets my session. galaxy note 10.1.

Could you send me your crash log after that happens? (instal the free utility aLogcat from Google Play for that)

aiwen

There are two problems with two-panel layout on my Nexus 7:
1. When the keyboard is closed, I cannot make the "Quick input bar" disappear (see screenshot), although there is an option in the settings stating that this should be possible. With an earlier version of Pleco, it worked.
2. When tap-holding an entry of the search result list (two-panel layout, portrait orientation), the separate definition screen does sometimes not appear, nothing happens. It depends on the entry. In landscape orientation, it always works.
I have no idea, it might be that these problems are specific to the device I use (Nexus 7).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-30-10-05-39244158895.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-30-10-05-39244158895.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 686

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
aiwen said:
1. When the keyboard is closed, I cannot make the "Quick input bar" disappear (see screenshot), although there is an option in the settings stating that this should be possible. With an earlier version of Pleco, it worked.

Sorry about that - there's different code that manages it in the multi-panel view and it seems to be ignoring that option.

aiwen said:
2. When tap-holding an entry of the search result list (two-panel layout, portrait orientation), the separate definition screen does sometimes not appear, nothing happens. It depends on the entry. In landscape orientation, it always works.

Sorry, are you tap-holding on the entry and then selecting 'View Entry'? We didn't even know that caused a different behavior than just tapping on the entry, actually - if it does and if that's useful then we'll see about fixing it, but the idea (and the behavior that's consistent with Android design guidelines) is that "View Entry" will do exactly the same thing as tapping on the entry.

aiwen

mikelove said:
Sorry, are you tap-holding on the entry and then selecting 'View Entry'? We didn't even know that caused a different behavior than just tapping on the entry, actually - if it does and if that's useful then we'll see about fixing it, but the idea (and the behavior that's consistent with Android design guidelines) is that "View Entry" will do exactly the same thing as tapping on the entry.
1. Great, I'm looking forward to a bug-fix...
2. Yes, tap-holding and selecting "View Entry". The idea is to browse in characters or words related to the search entry. Having the whole separate screen gives more space to browse the lists. When just tapping, the definition is displayed in the same screen.
The interesting point with my example 始迁祖 in the screenshot is that tap-holding plus selecting "View Entry" works with 祖, but NOT with 始 and 迁, really strange, isn't it? It seems to be independent of the dictionary selected (I tested ABC and Guifan).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
aiwen said:
2. Yes, tap-holding and selecting "View Entry". The idea is to browse in characters or words related to the search entry. Having the whole separate screen gives more space to browse the lists. When just tapping, the definition is displayed in the same screen.
The interesting point with my example 始迁祖 in the screenshot is that tap-holding plus selecting "View Entry" works with 祖, but NOT with 始 and 迁, really strange, isn't it? It seems to be independent of the dictionary selected (I tested ABC and Guifan).

Is it always the first entry in the results?

HW60

状元
The manual says "Tap on Search Now to search for flashcards using the selected search criteria - the results will come up in a screen exactly like Organize Cards (but without the New Card / New Category commands)" - actually there are 2 buttons for New Card and New Category (With this New Card button it is possible to create a new flashcard without any category).

When exporting the cards form Flashcards/Search Results, the resulting file has no category, even if "include flashcard categories in the export file" is set.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
The manual says "Tap on Search Now to search for flashcards using the selected search criteria - the results will come up in a screen exactly like Organize Cards (but without the New Card / New Category commands)" - actually there are 2 buttons for New Card and New Category (With this New Card button it is possible to create a new flashcard without any category).

Yes, those buttons were not supposed to ever be available on that screen, but now that we accidentally put them there we're stuck with leaving them there.

HW60 said:
When exporting the cards form Flashcards/Search Results, the resulting file has no category, even if "include flashcard categories in the export file" is set.

With "Search Cards" results, that option will only work if you export in XML format - we should probably disable / hide the option otherwise.

HW60

状元
Exporting flashcards with Organize cards / All cards and "include categories in the export file" set, the uncategorized cards are exported twice, once at the beginning of the file with no category heading, once at the end with heading "//".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Exporting flashcards with Organize cards / All cards and "include categories in the export file" set, the uncategorized cards are exported twice, once at the beginning of the file with no category heading, once at the end with heading "//".

I believe that one was done for compatibility with the old WM version, actually - anyway it wouldn't do any harm on import, so we'll probably wait and fix it the next time we're updating that part of the exporter.

leynux

举人
I'v just transfered/installed to Samsung S3 (Android ver 4.1.2), Reader program popup dict does not sound, unless I tap on top speaker menu.

Any miss config anywhere? Work fine on my previous S2.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
leynux said:
I'v just transfered/installed to Samsung S3 (Android ver 4.1.2), Reader program popup dict does not sound, unless I tap on top speaker menu.

Did you forget to turn on the option to auto-play audio in Settings / Popup Reader?

leynux

举人
thanks, it works.
Last time, I think it default, anyhow thank you.

mikelove said:
leynux said:

Did you forget to turn on the option to auto-play audio in Settings / Popup Reader?

ckatt

状元
The option to show the quick input bar when keboard is closed is not working for me. i can hide it though, when the keyboard is open.
I'm using an HTC oneV

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The option to show the quick input bar when keboard is closed is not working for me. i can hide it though, when the keyboard is open.
I'm using an HTC oneV

So it's failing to show the quick input bar? Is the screen configured to be in two-panel (list plus definition on the same screen) mode? If so then that might explain it - there might not be room for the bar.

Yiliya

榜眼
I bought a new phone recently, 小米2 (a new Chinese high-end smartphone, getting very hot both in China and abroad) running MIUI V5 (custom firmware based on Android 4.1, pretty popular among Android users, can be installed on many phones).

Anyway, one of MIUI's main features is that the app launcher is merged with the desktop, so that the desktop shortcuts = apps themselves, meaning deleting shortcut = uninstalling the app. This seems to conflict with Pleco's launchers (dictionary, reader, OCR, etc). Pleco can't create a shortcut for a launcher when asked. Even though it says 'shortcut created', nothing actually happens.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Anyway, one of MIUI's main features is that the app launcher is merged with the desktop, so that the desktop shortcuts = apps themselves, meaning deleting shortcut = uninstalling the app. This seems to conflict with Pleco's launchers (dictionary, reader, OCR, etc). Pleco can't create a shortcut for a launcher when asked. Even though it says 'shortcut created', nothing actually happens.

Does MIUI have a separate option within its launcher to create a shortcut? If so, use that - Pleco advertises its shortcut-ability in its manifest, so other app launchers can read it / summon up the necessary details to create a Pleco launcher outside of the app.