Pleco for Android 2.4.9 Bug Report Thread

HW60

状元
One (the last?) of the older mini bugs from the buggy end-of-session flashcard times just for reference:

Fill-in-the-blanks, Test reading (show character, prompt for pinyin) and Test listening (show pinyin, prompt for characters) alternating.
When the last card of the first session is prompt for pinyin and the first card of the Repeat incorrect session is prompt for pinyin too, then the keyboard for entering pinyin cannot be used, because Pleco switched to prompt for character mode, showing the keyboard, but allowing only HW input. One tap on the brush solves the problem now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Fill-in-the-blanks, Test reading (show character, prompt for pinyin) and Test listening (show pinyin, prompt for characters) alternating.
When the last card of the first session is prompt for pinyin and the first card of the Repeat incorrect session is prompt for pinyin too, then the keyboard for entering pinyin cannot be used, because Pleco switched to prompt for character mode, showing the keyboard, but allowing only HW input. One tap on the brush solves the problem now.

Hmm, thought we'd fixed that one... anyway I'll file it away for 2.4.10, thanks.

jiacheng

榜眼
I've noticed that when trying to OCR on photos in a Picasa album that I get the error message "Sorry, Pleco cannot access this image".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng said:
I've noticed that when trying to OCR on photos in a Picasa album that I get the error message "Sorry, Pleco cannot access this image".

Did it work before? Might be that Picasa is sharing them in a format we can't work with.

jiacheng

榜眼
mikelove said:
Did it work before? Might be that Picasa is sharing them in a format we can't work with.

I can't say that I have ever tried it successfully, but given that it shows the picture as selectable when loading an image, I didn't expect that it would fail. I have noticed that when trying to upload a photo to box or google drive a device that can view the Picasa album also fails, so it could be a format issue or some issue not exclusive to Pleco. Sure would be a huge convenience if it worked tho.

smeenz

秀才
I'm seeing an intermittent problem with HWR inserting a new character into the search box for every stroke I enter. If I exit the application and start it again, it goes back to the correct logic where the new character replaces the previously.

To perhaps explain it better, if I try to write 三, the first stroke sets the search area at the top of the screen to 一. The second stroke appends to it, setting it to 一二, and the third sets it to 一二三.

After exiting and going back in, the behaviour becomes correct, and the first stroke sets the search to 一, the second stroke sets it to 二, and the third to 三.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng said:
I can't say that I have ever tried it successfully, but given that it shows the picture as selectable when loading an image, I didn't expect that it would fail. I have noticed that when trying to upload a photo to box or google drive a device that can view the Picasa album also fails, so it could be a format issue or some issue not exclusive to Pleco. Sure would be a huge convenience if it worked tho.

Well we can certainly do some experiments and see if it can be made to work... thanks.

smeenz said:
I'm seeing an intermittent problem with HWR inserting a new character into the search box for every stroke I enter. If I exit the application and start it again, it goes back to the correct logic where the new character replaces the previously.

To perhaps explain it better, if I try to write 三, the first stroke sets the search area at the top of the screen to 一. The second stroke appends to it, setting it to 一二, and the third sets it to 一二三.

After exiting and going back in, the behaviour becomes correct, and the first stroke sets the search to 一, the second stroke sets it to 二, and the third to 三.

Does the highlight appear to disappear after you enter each character? I.E., when 一 shows up, the text is not highlighted and you see a blinking cursor after it? Also, what's your current device / Android version?

smeenz

秀才
mikelove said:
Does the highlight appear to disappear after you enter each character? I.E., when 一 shows up, the text is not highlighted and you see a blinking cursor after it? Also, what's your current device / Android version?

Yes, there's no highlighting showing when the characters get appended to the string.

Android 4.0.3, Galaxy S2, DarkyROM 2.1

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
smeenz said:
Yes, there's no highlighting showing when the characters get appended to the string.

Hmm... are you using SwiftKey by any chance? What happens if you switch to a different keyboard?

smeenz

秀才
mikelove said:
smeenz said:
Hmm... are you using SwiftKey by any chance? What happens if you switch to a different keyboard?

Oh, I should have thought of that... yes, I'm using swiftkeys, in fact, the new version 4 with flow. I installed upgrades for both pleco and swiftkeys at the same time, and you're right.. that's probably the issue...

marsch

举人
Hi. Noticed two things:
1. When searching for a word that's not yet in the dictionary, selecting "Add to User Dict", adding it, and then returning to the search, the newly entered word doesn't show up - still shows the old (cached?) results. Need to look for another word, then back to the new word, only then it's found.
2. Flashcards, search cards, use three filters, then delete the lower two by clicking the "-" after the first filter. Somehow at least one of the lower filters seems to be still active, at least I don't get all the results I expect. Need to first delete the third filter, then the second, then it works.
Other than that, I really like the Android version. So much better experience than the Windows version.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
marsch said:
1. When searching for a word that's not yet in the dictionary, selecting "Add to User Dict", adding it, and then returning to the search, the newly entered word doesn't show up - still shows the old (cached?) results. Need to look for another word, then back to the new word, only then it's found.

Yeah, that's a performance optimization that we can probably stand to get rid of now. (in the olden days it would take long enough to pull up the word the first time that we thought it better to skip the update so that people could add multiple words without a lot of lengthy delays)

marsch said:
2. Flashcards, search cards, use three filters, then delete the lower two by clicking the "-" after the first filter. Somehow at least one of the lower filters seems to be still active, at least I don't get all the results I expect. Need to first delete the third filter, then the second, then it works.

Thanks - should be easy to fix.

marsch said:
Other than that, I really like the Android version. So much better experience than the Windows version.

Thank you very much!

HW60

状元
When you enter a new flashcard with New Card of the Search Results Screen, the new card has no category, especially not the Default category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
When you enter a new flashcard with New Card of the Search Results Screen, the new card has no category, especially not the Default category.

That's actually intentional - the thinking was that adding it to a category would be even more confusing, since the same button in Organize Cards adds it to the category you're currently in rather than to the default category.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
That's actually intentional - the thinking was that adding it to a category would be even more confusing, since the same button in Organize Cards adds it to the category you're currently in rather than to the default category.
That means 3 ways to enter flashcards with 3 different ways to add a category and 2 default categories - at least the "default category = uncategorized" seems to be unexpected and may explain some of the "where is my flashcard" questions in the forum. Maybe the "card created (category xxx)" information which pops up in the main screen after adding a flashcard could help, though I think 1 default category should be enough.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
That means 3 ways to enter flashcards with 3 different ways to add a category and 2 default categories - at least the "default category = uncategorized" seems to be unexpected and may explain some of the "where is my flashcard" questions in the forum. Maybe the "card created (category xxx)" information which pops up in the main screen after adding a flashcard could help, though I think 1 default category should be enough.

I see your point, but to me the consistency with Organize Cards (which Search Cards will eventually be merged with completely) is more important than consistency with the + button.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
I see your point, but to me the consistency with Organize Cards (which Search Cards will eventually be merged with completely) is more important than consistency with the + button.
I think the way to add a category in Organize Cards is not unexpected, and you can find the just created card by scrolling to the end of the list. But after you entered a flashcard from the Search results screen, that flashcard is gone. If you do not remember how to write the character - which may happen with new cards - you cannot even find it with Search cards. That is no problem, if you have only a small number of uncategorized cards and know that it is in uncategorized (which is not normal if you read about default category in the manual). But I have lots of uncategorized cards which wait for being categorized again. The first time I did not find a new flashcard I created the same card again and found it with Search for duplicates - only then I knew where the cards actually were.

Why not add the cards of Search results to the default category as in the main screen?