Pleco for Android 2.4.2 Bug Report Thread

LantauMan

进士
mikelove said:
LantauMan said:
I suppose the only fine-tuning I might request is to "restore last input method" each time, so if I was using keyboard last time, it'll reopen with the keyboard. If I was using brush last time, it'll reopen with the handwriting input field. To me, that would have more use than restoring the last word I looked up, or always opening with the keyboard. But it isn't a big deal, just an idea.

It should do that already, actually - is it not doing so now? How exactly are you force-stopping Pleco?

First, I rarely would manually force-stop Pleco. I just did so as an experiment, by going to Android settings.

As for startup each time, my bad. You're right: with all three settings unchecked in "Startup options", it always opens to whatever I was doing before. However, I note the option to have the keyboard open each time Pleco starts. In a way, I prefer this, but would rather have it start with whatever the last search method was. Hence:

I use the brush to look up a Chinese word. Tap "done", see the definitions, close Pleco or switch to another app.
Currently I reopen Pleco and am back in the definitions screen. As it should be.
If, in startup options, I've selected "Open input", Pleco will open with the input field and keyboard ready. As it should. Nice, but...
In a way, I'd like a hypothetical option in which Pleco remembers the input method last used, whether keyboard, brush or radicals, and reopens with a blank search field and that same input method ready.

My main use of Pleco, besides flashcards, is to open it with the intention of immediately searching for a word. Again, this is personal and applies only to me, but I've noticed that if I'm using the brush to look up words, chances are the next thing I want to look up will also be a character I draw. If I'm looking up English or pinyin, chances are I'll be in keyboard mode for a while, and later return to handwriting mode. Hence the two current methods of opening Pleco--either to the last screen viewed, or to the keyboard input--are not quite perfect. The combination of Pleco and Swype keyboard have been a godsend to my Chinese learning, an almost instantaneous way of moving between Chinese and English. Since I typically use Pleco in rapid-fire conversation or during lessons, or while reading my kiddy books, anything that saves even a fraction of a second to get where I need to be is helpful.

Maybe that makes too much of a mess, or bloats the software, I don't know. As I said, no big deal. Just an idea.

leoninto

秀才
After updating Pleco in the market, my custom tone colors got reset. If I restore using Titanium Backup to the previous official build, I have my colors. Not a huge deal I guess, but may annoy some that need things to be just so :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
As for startup each time, my bad. You're right: with all three settings unchecked in "Startup options", it always opens to whatever I was doing before. However, I note the option to have the keyboard open each time Pleco starts. In a way, I prefer this, but would rather have it start with whatever the last search method was. Hence:

That should be the open input option - you can enable that without enabling the "restore last search" one to get faster startup and no keyboard open. And it should reopen with that last search method, unless you force-stopped it without giving it a chance to record it.

leoninto said:
After updating Pleco in the market, my custom tone colors got reset. If I restore using Titanium Backup to the previous official build, I have my colors. Not a huge deal I guess, but may annoy some that need things to be just so :)

Are you bouncing back and forth between the CN Market version and our beta version by any chance? Those are considered totally different apps by Android (no way to avoid it, we have to make the CN one a separate app so that it can be downloaded in China) so it's expected that the settings would not carry over between them.