Pleco for Android 2.4.2 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Here we go again... bug reports greatly greatly appreciated since we'd hate to release this with a major undiscovered issue.

Small nit:

If I highlight some Chinese in a definition, the secondary lookup pops up with, for example, ABC dictionary. Example GF dictionary, highlighting a definition. If I try and highlight the entire definition (multiple lines) in order to play it with TTS, it would be really nice if the pop-up definition window could go away during the playback, so that I could read along with what I'm hearing.

Possible bug in TTS:

With GF entry for 软件, in the first definition, I highlighted the last piece in parenthesis (跟"硬件"相区别).  It seems to me that the Lulu voice is cutting off the last part of the last syllable, pronouncing "bi" instead of "bie". I have Lulu set at 80%, and Hui set at 90%, which, to my ear, makes them almost the same speed on the ASUS TF101 tablet. I did not highlight the parens, just the Chinese within.

I should add that Hui voice did a better job with voice timing to articulate the quoted expression.

Listening one last time, it's also obvious that Lulu didn't give the correct amount of time (duration) to the last syllable, not to mention the (expected by me at least) slight elongation of duration sometimes found at the end of a sentence (when a 'sound' isn't also added, like 啊, etc.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
If I highlight some Chinese in a definition, the secondary lookup pops up with, for example, ABC dictionary. Example GF dictionary, highlighting a definition. If I try and highlight the entire definition (multiple lines) in order to play it with TTS, it would be really nice if the pop-up definition window could go away during the playback, so that I could read along with what I'm hearing.

I think that's been mentioned before - when we roll out a more permanent TTS reader UI we can certainly do something like that, yes.

stephanhodges said:
With GF entry for 软件, in the first definition, I highlighted the last piece in parenthesis (跟"硬件"相区别).  It seems to me that the Lulu voice is cutting off the last part of the last syllable, pronouncing "bi" instead of "bie". I have Lulu set at 80%, and Hui set at 90%, which, to my ear, makes them almost the same speed on the ASUS TF101 tablet. I did not highlight the parens, just the Chinese within.

We'll investigate - the audio playback on Lulu is still a little funky in general (we're still calling both of these "experimental" at the moment, even in the official 2.4 release).

stephanhodges said:
Listening one last time, it's also obvious that Lulu didn't give the correct amount of time (duration) to the last syllable, not to mention the (expected by me at least) slight elongation of duration sometimes found at the end of a sentence (when a 'sound' isn't also added, like 啊, etc.)

It may need more help from us in terms of coming up with correct pronunciation-specific pauses.

santiago

举人
when using wildcards @, @@ or $ in multiple character searches on a custom dictionary, pleco only searches for coincidences with the first character after the wildcard.

EXAMPLE: Looking for @你说 I obtain 祝你生日快乐 and 向你全家问好. The position of the 你 is correct, but pleco just ignored the character 说 in the search.

NOTE 1: This may be a problem of my dictinoray (hsk SENTENCE dictionary) since it does not happen with TL o PLC. In case you want to check I put an example of the entries below and could send u the file.
让我想一想 rang4 wo3 xiang3 yi1 xiang3 Let me see.
不是我的错 bu2 shi4 wo3 de cuo4 It's not my fault.
都是我的错 dou1 shi4 wo3 de cuo4 It's all my fault.
你干得很好 ni3 gan4 de hen3 hao4 You did a good job.

NOTE 2: I do this searches to see examples of use of a word, since the built in "words (starting/containing/both)" only allows one character results.

egrebnev

I am experiencing a small problem using the Reader on my Dell Streak 10 Pro (Android 3.2). Somehow I am able to open and read books in the landscape mode, but once I turn my tablet, I only see the blank screen and the menu button in the top right corner. The text becomes visible if I reposition the tablet back to the landscape mode.

ckatt

状元
so far so good.
every thing seems to be working just great now. no more problems with the reordering of cards even! :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
santiago said:
when using wildcards @, @@ or $ in multiple character searches on a custom dictionary, pleco only searches for coincidences with the first character after the wildcard.

EXAMPLE: Looking for @你说 I obtain 祝你生日快乐 and 向你全家问好. The position of the 你 is correct, but pleco just ignored the character 说 in the search.

NOTE 1: This may be a problem of my dictinoray (hsk SENTENCE dictionary) since it does not happen with TL o PLC. In case you want to check I put an example of the entries below and could send u the file.
让我想一想 rang4 wo3 xiang3 yi1 xiang3 Let me see.
不是我的错 bu2 shi4 wo3 de cuo4 It's not my fault.
都是我的错 dou1 shi4 wo3 de cuo4 It's all my fault.
你干得很好 ni3 gan4 de hen3 hao4 You did a good job.

Thanks, we'll investigate - may take a little while to fix, though, as that part of Pleco (user dictionary wildcard searches) is currently rather messy / in need of improvement.

santiago said:
NOTE 2: I do this searches to see examples of use of a word, since the built in "words (starting/containing/both)" only allows one character results.

Much better system for that is coming, fortunately.

egrebnev said:
I am experiencing a small problem using the Reader on my Dell Streak 10 Pro (Android 3.2). Somehow I am able to open and read books in the landscape mode, but once I turn my tablet, I only see the blank screen and the menu button in the top right corner. The text becomes visible if I reposition the tablet back to the landscape mode.

We've had one or two other intermittent reports of this with the old version too, but we've never managed to reproduce it - it may be specific to Android 3.2, actually. Anyway we'll take another tab at reproducing it with this exact configuration and hopefully get it dealt with soon.

ckatt said:
so far so good.
every thing seems to be working just great now. no more problems with the reordering of cards even! :D

Great! Sounds like we're good to go for 2.4.2, then.

santiago

举人
Not very relevant, but if you wanna check:

When using the "HISTORY" to chose a word, In the definition screen:

1) pressing the up and down arrows do not show the previous/next word in the dictionary but the previous/next word in the history list (this may be intentional and is kind of cool I guess)

2) long pressing the dictionary button will show a list of ALL dictionaries no matter if they have the entry or not. If you press a standard dictionary that does not have the entry nothing happens, but if it is a custom dictionary it would either show "this entry appears to have been deleted....." or much worse would show some weird symbols (squares and stuff). NOTE: To see all this you have to come from the history and have at least 2 dictionaries with the entry, otherwise the dictionary button will be dark, can not be pressed and thus there is no list to choose from.

come on....put it up in google!!, the product is already amazing and future improvements will make it even better :) Feliz navidad y año nuevo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
santiago said:
1) pressing the up and down arrows do not show the previous/next word in the dictionary but the previous/next word in the history list (this may be intentional and is kind of cool I guess)

That one's definitely intentional, yes.

santiago said:
2) long pressing the dictionary button will show a list of ALL dictionaries no matter if they have the entry or not. If you press a standard dictionary that does not have the entry nothing happens, but if it is a custom dictionary it would either show "this entry appears to have been deleted....." or much worse would show some weird symbols (squares and stuff). NOTE: To see all this you have to come from the history and have at least 2 dictionaries with the entry, otherwise the dictionary button will be dark, can not be pressed and thus there is no list to choose from.

Good catch, we'll investigate / hopefully fix for 2.4.3.

santiago said:
come on....put it up in google!!, the product is already amazing and future improvements will make it even better Feliz navidad y año nuevo.

Done! Thanks and same to you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
Already talking about 2.4.3? Isn't it time you take a vacation?

Not for at least a couple of months, since we're simultaneously finishing off a bunch of new dictionaries and the big iOS update - this is just the first release in a densely-packed block of them.

Lijie

秀才
Not a bug but the option button covers the word. Also Pleco crashed once for some reason and it's been slow. I was typing something like 們好(don't remember why).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-01-16-43-54.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-01-16-43-54.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,168

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lijie said:
Not a bug but the option button covers the word.

Thanks, but does it appear with this blue background all the time or only when you tap on it?

Lijie said:
Also Pleco crashed once for some reason and it's been slow. I was typing something like 們好(don't remember why).

What were you doing when it crashed? And have you updated all of the databases to their latest versions? Search shouldn't be too laggy on a Galaxy Nexus with everything updated, in fact in most cases it's faster than it was in the old version - do you have a lot of user dictionaries?

Lijie

秀才
mikelove said:
Lijie said:
Not a bug but the option button covers the word.

Thanks, but does it appear with this blue background all the time or only when you tap on it?

Lijie said:
Also Pleco crashed once for some reason and it's been slow. I was typing something like 們好(don't remember why).

What were you doing when it crashed? And have you updated all of the databases to their latest versions? Search shouldn't be too laggy on a Galaxy Nexus with everything updated, in fact in most cases it's faster than it was in the old version - do you have a lot of user dictionaries?

It doesn't stay blue all the time but when i click on the word right below it, it gets in the way and displays the menu. I think the area in blue is the menu buttons area and it overlaps the word. I was searching something when it crashed. No user dicts and i think when it crashed are databases were up to date.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lijie said:
It doesn't stay blue all the time but when i click on the word right below it, it gets in the way and displays the menu. I think the area in blue is the menu buttons area and it overlaps the word.

OK, that should be fixable - thanks.

Lijie said:
I was searching something when it crashed. No user dicts and i think when it crashed are databases were up to date.

Hmm... do you have crash reporting enabled on your phone? (would have been a prompt to report anonymous data to Google) Should show up in our crash report files in a day or two if so, which would hopefully let us diagnose it more specifically.

Regarding the lag, could you give me any more idea of when exactly the software seems to be laggy that it wasn't before? Does this happen when waiting for search results to appear or when scrolling through them? Does it affect searches seemingly randomly or does it tend to occur in searches of a particular type (English-Chinese, say) or does it tend to affect searches with a large number of results (the single syllable "ji" for example).

HedgePig

举人
There seems to be a minor problem with toggling "night mode" on and off. It sometimes takes a few screens for the changed mode to take effect. (It seems to be a little inconsistent.)

LantauMan

进士
Overall the performance is much more responsive than ever, but the only small issue is that I pay the price by Pleco taking much longer to start up--3 to 4 seconds, as opposed to almost instantaneous previously. Once it loads, then no problems. Using an LG Optimus P500 with stock 2.2.1.

One other minor gripe, which is due to my tiny screen: when a word comes up with more than one definition, the grey bar with arrows which pops up takes up a lot of space. May I suggest that instead of a grey bar, it should be transparent, with just the little black up and down triangles appearing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HedgePig said:
There seems to be a minor problem with toggling "night mode" on and off. It sometimes takes a few screens for the changed mode to take effect. (It seems to be a little inconsistent.)

This one's a known issue, but it's going to be really tricky to fix perfectly (lots of screens that have to recheck whether they should enter Night Mode and make sure their UI is reconfigured correctly if so) so we're waiting until we have a little more time to do it.

LantauMan said:
Overall the performance is much more responsive than ever, but the only small issue is that I pay the price by Pleco taking much longer to start up--3 to 4 seconds, as opposed to almost instantaneous previously. Once it loads, then no problems. Using an LG Optimus P500 with stock 2.2.1.

Have you tried turning off the option to restore the last search on startup? That should get rid of most of what's taking up the extra time.

LantauMan said:
One other minor gripe, which is due to my tiny screen: when a word comes up with more than one definition, the grey bar with arrows which pops up takes up a lot of space. May I suggest that instead of a grey bar, it should be transparent, with just the little black up and down triangles appearing?

That was actually in 2.3 as well - we're planning to fix it by showing all of those entries together in a single scrolling box, but that's waiting on our new type design (among other things).

LantauMan

进士
mikelove said:
LantauMan said:

Have you tried turning off the option to restore the last search on startup? That should get rid of most of what's taking up the extra time.

That helps quite a bit. Now if I manually force Pleco to stop, then start it again, it still takes around 3 seconds to start (as opposed to 5 or more previously), but after that, it reopens each time nearly instantly.

I suppose the only fine-tuning I might request is to "restore last input method" each time, so if I was using keyboard last time, it'll reopen with the keyboard. If I was using brush last time, it'll reopen with the handwriting input field. To me, that would have more use than restoring the last word I looked up, or always opening with the keyboard. But it isn't a big deal, just an idea.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
I suppose the only fine-tuning I might request is to "restore last input method" each time, so if I was using keyboard last time, it'll reopen with the keyboard. If I was using brush last time, it'll reopen with the handwriting input field. To me, that would have more use than restoring the last word I looked up, or always opening with the keyboard. But it isn't a big deal, just an idea.

It should do that already, actually - is it not doing so now? How exactly are you force-stopping Pleco?