Low-End Competition

character

状元
mikelove said:
Though our original demo seems to have served mainly to generate a lot of comments / emails asking for a Japanese version of Pleco :)
Might be an interesting mental exercise to think about how little (or much) work it would be to make Pleco-J given a single, well-formatted Japanese/English dictionary. Could you use the same HWR engine, for ex? Would search logic need to change? If it could be a $50 add on to Pleco, including the dictionary, would the resulting sales be worth the effort? I suspect not, but that's just me.

Best of luck getting them to fix their search results.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
character said:
Might be an interesting mental exercise to think about how little (or much) work it would be to make Pleco-J given a single, well-formatted Japanese/English dictionary. Could you use the same HWR engine, for ex? Would search logic need to change? If it could be a $50 add on to Pleco, including the dictionary, would the resulting sales be worth the effort? I suspect not, but that's just me.

We'd need a new handwriting engine - there are a significant number of Kanji that don't overlap with Chinese, and there's no way in our current engine to avoid also returning lots of Chinese-only characters. The search logic could remain largely the same, since we already juggle the character / pronunciation divide with mixed character/Pinyin searches; bit trickier in Japanese since there are multiple syllables to one character, but still manageable.

Mainly it's just a problem of a) investing the resources in licensing a Japanese dictionary / handwriting recognizer in light of the other things we could be spending our money on licensing (for example, what I'm calling the four "C"s - classical, Cantonese, character etymology and chengyus), and b) investing the time in developing a Japanese product in light of the number of other things people are pushing us to do (Android, desktops, etc).

changxi

Flashonary

I've had an iPhone for 7 months, but it wasn't until I systematically went through all the free Chinese-learning apps (for a piece I wrote for an expat magazine) that I stumbled on Pleco. One feature your free app doesn't have that others do is flashcards. DianHua has them, and Flashonary goes a step further and allows spaced repetition. That said, I don't know why Pleco appears so low in search results. The Cambridge dictionary is very expensive and all the anglophone user reviews seem to pan it, but it's right up there, as is KTdict, which is one of the worst of the free options.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
changxi said:
I've had an iPhone for 7 months, but it wasn't until I systematically went through all the free Chinese-learning apps (for a piece I wrote for an expat magazine) that I stumbled on Pleco. One feature your free app doesn't have that others do is flashcards. DianHua has them, and Flashonary goes a step further and allows spaced repetition. That said, I don't know why Pleco appears so low in search results. The Cambridge dictionary is very expensive and all the anglophone user reviews seem to pan it, but it's right up there, as is KTdict, which is one of the worst of the free options.

We definitely want to add some sort of flashcard function to our free app, but we don't want it to feel too "demo-y," so the question is exactly what we'd take out of our full flashcard system in the free version - a tentative list might be:

• Imports (though there'd be an option to create a thousand or so default flashcards - maybe all of HSK 1 - which is probably something we should have had a while ago anyway)
  • Exports (though Backup / Restore Database would be supported)
  • Test modes other than self-graded
  • Search Cards
  • Batch Organize Cards commands
  • Multiple profiles
  • Some of the scoring / card selection options (though including some form of SRS would probably still be a good idea)

Anybody have any thoughts on any other particular features we should make sure we include to show off the system's full potential? Or features you'd be disappointed to see us give away for free after you shelled out $15 for the full system?

As for the search ranking, one new theory I'm mulling for why it might be so low is that the rankings might factor in international downloads too (though since they vary from store to store there certainly is some region-specific weighting) - the creator of KTDict posted some stats on his blog recently suggesting that the overwhelming majority of his users come from Asia, while with Pleco about 50% of our users come from the US (the remainder is roughly a 30/20 split between Asia and Europe). Not sure what exactly it is about Pleco that makes it less appealing to Asian users than other equally laowai-centric free apps, though.

sjhuz01

Plecodict was one of the first apps I searched for after finally getting an iPhone (3GS), but it wasn't yet available. Until today, I just figured my Plecodict license for the busted old Palm Pilot in the sock drawer was useless - I didn't bother searching again.

That could be 1 problem - people who already have KT-Dict or similar app & don't feel the need to try something new. The other obvious biggie is cost. KT-Dict is a "good enough" dictionary solution for most starving college kids & casual users. Free is better than $30+. Would definitely recommend highlighting the fact that free CDICT files are an option, so they see KT-Dict doesn't really have an advantage. That way at least they might try Pleco instead.

Perhaps focusing on unique iPad functionality would help differentiate? Can you use it to take better notes than Apple's HWR? Can it pop-up definitions directly from a website like "rikai"? (or with multitasking, if that's an option?)? Or focus on the flashcard options (most of which honestly just confuse me ... I don't care about algorithms & score setting, I just want it to help me study).

Don't know if you've tried going direct to university Chinese departments & pushing Pleco as an alternative to the dictionaries they require for classes anyway. Special discounts for students? Or volume licensing? Don't know if it'll go anywhere, but I'll bring it up to our tech guys - they're currently testing a range of mobile language-learning software for smartphones for the school. Primarily Android I think since Apple's process is a pain, but I'll be sure to let them know! All the students already have iPod Touch's. Maybe they're already using it...

In any case, happy to see things are still going well & glad to have my "good" dictionary back!
Thanks & good luck!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Latest perplexing issue with search rankings: thanks to all of the incoming links from Engadget we've temporarily gotten as high as the #12 rank among all free reference apps: way higher than any other Chinese dictionary, and higher than we've ever been. We literally had more downloads yesterday than we had in our entire first week in iTunes, roughly 8x our previous one-day record. But even at that peak, our search result position for "chinese dictionary" remained in the low teens. It did increase by a few places, suggesting that the download count is factored into the search result sorting somewhat, but we're nonetheless behind 5 other free dictionaries all of which are temporarily ranking lower in downloads. So it's really kind of a mystery; about the only explanation left is that Apple's heavily rewarding those guys for being around longer / having more total downloads, which seems like kind of an unfortunate barrier for new apps trying to break into the market.

sjhuz01 said:
That could be 1 problem - people who already have KT-Dict or similar app & don't feel the need to try something new. The other obvious biggie is cost. KT-Dict is a "good enough" dictionary solution for most starving college kids & casual users. Free is better than $30+. Would definitely recommend highlighting the fact that free CDICT files are an option, so they see KT-Dict doesn't really have an advantage. That way at least they might try Pleco instead.

We gained a ton of downloads when we took away the need to "register" to download CC-CEDICT, so you're right about that adding to our appeal; still can't seem to get consistently ahead of KTDict, though.

sjhuz01 said:
Perhaps focusing on unique iPad functionality would help differentiate? Can you use it to take better notes than Apple's HWR? Can it pop-up definitions directly from a website like "rikai"? (or with multitasking, if that's an option?)? Or focus on the flashcard options (most of which honestly just confuse me ... I don't care about algorithms & score setting, I just want it to help me study).

I suspect KTDict's creator will be coming out with an iPad version at some point in the not too distant future so that's not likely to be a differentiating factor for very long. We do support website lookups, in fact we do it in a somewhat fancier way than rikai since you can either copy a whole paragraph out at once / tap on words in it individually (instead of tap-hold-selecting) or you can enable "Live Mode" and just tap on the words right on the page.

Pretty much every single one of those flashcard options has a large base of users, so it's tough to eliminate them altogether, and there are lots of new ones we'd like to add - the bigger issue there is finding a way to hide the more confusing options, or do a better job of automatically configuring them for people so they don't have to think about them. (though you can pretty much leave them unchanged if you don't want to think about them - most of them are off by default anyway)

sjhuz01 said:
Don't know if you've tried going direct to university Chinese departments & pushing Pleco as an alternative to the dictionaries they require for classes anyway. Special discounts for students? Or volume licensing? Don't know if it'll go anywhere, but I'll bring it up to our tech guys - they're currently testing a range of mobile language-learning software for smartphones for the school. Primarily Android I think since Apple's process is a pain, but I'll be sure to let them know! All the students already have iPod Touch's. Maybe they're already using it...

Android should definitely be easier for institutional purchases since we can (hopefully) do the sales / distribution ourselves, though Apple's introduction of volume educational discounts is a good sign that they're starting to think about these issues.

character

状元
mikelove said:
It did increase by a few places, suggesting that the download count is factored into the search result sorting somewhat, but we're nonetheless behind 5 other free dictionaries all of which are temporarily ranking lower in downloads. So it's really kind of a mystery; about the only explanation left is that Apple's heavily rewarding those guys for being around longer / having more total downloads, which seems like kind of an unfortunate barrier for new apps trying to break into the market.
Congrats on all the downloads. I've heard that there is some inertia in the results. Probably for the best overall as it prevents crazy fluctuations and slows the fall once an app does start to drop. I'd suggest updating the text of that YT video periodically so people know when to expect OCR availability, and posting more videos showing progress.

WRT your competitors, take a hard look at their descriptions and screenshots. Try to figure out their search keywords.

radioman

状元
With regard to my following comment, the parallel theme is that of an interesting, yet perplexing ranking mechanism. Specifically, that of Twitter.

A resent study by HP (http://goo.gl/Wyk0) shows that a key aspect of influence was not how many followers, but more that what you had the ability to propagate far and wide. So with regard to iTunes, more than just selling a unit, perhaps other factors include "buzz" within iTunes, as well as the ability to extend beyond Apple's world, like the application developer's twitter / facebook / other social networking sphere.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that a company's track record in iTunes would be influenced by such things like they are highly likely to produce another money-making applications down the road due to their track record - or they had the ability to sell an application in which a purchaser went on to buy many other applications (or maybe even other non-iTunes Apple related products).

mikelove said:
Latest perplexing issue with search rankings: thanks to all of the incoming links from Engadget we've temporarily gotten as high as the #12 rank among all free reference apps: way higher than any other Chinese dictionary, and higher than we've ever been.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
character said:
Congrats on all the downloads. I've heard that there is some inertia in the results. Probably for the best overall as it prevents crazy fluctuations and slows the fall once an app does start to drop. I'd suggest updating the text of that YT video periodically so people know when to expect OCR availability, and posting more videos showing progress.

Good idea - ought to enlist someone here to go down to Chinatown with me for an hour and videotape Pleco OCRing street signs :)

radioman said:
It wouldn't surprise me to find that a company's track record in iTunes would be influenced by such things like they are highly likely to produce another money-making applications down the road due to their track record - or they had the ability to sell an application in which a purchaser went on to buy many other applications (or maybe even other non-iTunes Apple related products).

Well that's an interesting possibility - Apple could be looking at a sort of a cumulative track record thing - but I'm more inclined to think that that affects "Hot Apps" type lists than search rankings. With search rankings I'm waiting to see whether we keep the couple of places we've gained after our brief Engadget-related download spike or whether we go right back down to where we were before after our downloads return to normal; if we do keep our new position for at least a week or so, that would be very strong evidence that they're using cumulative downloads (so that our temporary download spike helped us gain a bit of ground on other apps), in which case there might be a strong case for inducing more short-term download spikes (through mass-media advertising, more aggressive PR, etc) even though they have surprisingly little impact on sales.

Entropy

榜眼
Interesting question. I only found eStroke (which I use much more often since I'm deciphering menus, and frankly, eStroke is much better at demonstrating stroke order) because my friend found the Android version first. That one comes up in a search of "Chinese writing"--which is what I was looking for; I already had a free version of CC-CEDICT and it wasn't much help in learning to read. Pleco turns out to be a *much* better dictionary, of course.

I do have to wonder, is being "free" a part of the problem? The dictionary I found (DianHua, I think) comes in both free and paid variants. That might help in the search results, since a fair number of the free users are presumably downloading a second app from the same company.

I suspect the live OCR will turn out to be a huge selling point, especially if it can work from pictures. Hopefully you won't be copied on that anytime soon. In fact, it seems to me that OCR could be an opportunity to make a paid "pro" version, if you could bring it in at $5 or so.

~ Kiran <entropy@Io.com>

gato

状元
Mike, have you seen these formulas for app store search rankings? I'm not sure they are right. Both formulas are based on the latest sales and would suggest that an app's search ranking would fall as sales fall. Also the formulas would penalize against splitting up an app into one version for iPhone/iPod and another for iPad.

http://tii.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=522655#
http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/busin ... rithm.html

The formula that calculates your ranking is based on a weighted average:
((4 * D1) + (3 * D2) + (2 * D3) + D4 + D5 + D6 + D7)/13 = X
Where
D1 = Sales in the past 24 hours from now.
D2 = Sales between 25 and 48 hours ago.
D3 = Sales between 49 and 72 hours ago.
etc.
The higher X is, the higher your ranking is.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/start/2010/ ... orithm.php
Hacking the iPhone App Store's Ranking Algorithm
The formula for App rankings only accounts for your last 4 days of sales." The formula is 8 times the sales of the current day + 5 times the sales on the 2 proceeding days + 2 times the sales on initial date.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gato said:
Mike, have you seen these formulas for app store search rankings? I'm not sure they are right. Both formulas are based on the latest sales and would suggest that an app's search ranking would fall as sales fall. Also the formulas would penalize against splitting up an app into one version for iPhone/iPod and another for iPad.

These roughly fit with my own sense of how our ranking has increased / decreased relative to our download numbers, but these are overall rankings (paid / free apps), not rankings for a particular search term; the algorithm behind those is a lot more complicated.

gato

状元
Does Pleco currently have a separate app for the iPad and iPhone? Could that be affecting the ranking? It seems that your search ranking is higher on the iPad than the iPhone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, it's the same app - the reason we rank higher on iPad is that there are fewer iPad Chinese dictionary apps than iPhone ones, but apps that work on both iPhone and iPad appear to rank exactly the same relative to each other.

live2work

Mike,

I wonder if you are trying to address the wrong audience. Instead of trying to expand the market against "free" apps, I think you can do a better job in trying to address the market at the high-end. There are companies out there that sell chinese dictionary stand-alone products that sell for hundreds of dollars. I was actually considering one of them, but I find their functionalities limited. Having a platform like the iphone or itouch is a great advantage for you. I am seriously considering buying an itouch for my children just because of the learning tools available. If I were you, I would focus less marketing on a consumer base that is reluctant to pay vs. a consumer base that is willing to pay. This would require some additional business risks, but it may have better rewards. Do NOT rely on Apple to do the promotions for you, find other mechanisms to do it, e.g. google ads, etc.

Instead of selling software, sell solutions. Become an Apple product distributor. I don't know what it takes to become one, but you can position it like this. Sell a full loaded iTouch with bundled dictionary for the same prices as other are selling iTouches, and make profits on the iTouch sell. I have not worked out the cost models, but I am sure that you can think about it.

Get into the Chinese courses. Hire a few students to generate supplementary packages for the more popular chinese course, and resell them for a few bucks. The issues I see with some of these general dictionaries are that they require a lot of user set up. e.g. entering flash cards, create lessons from text books etc. Get involved with some of the professors to sponsor your lessons. It only takes a few before it becomes a "standard"

Commit to improve the products. The problems with the standalone dictionaries are the fact that they are not expandable. Continue to add value for your existing customer to keep them and help spread the news. The beauty of software is that you allow Apple to improve the hardware every generation, and you give freebie product improvements, and once a while, you come up with a new revision to allow users to "upgrade".

Your pricing strategy is also distasteful. Too many ala carte selections. I looked at that, and I am completely turned off. Most people want a comprehesive solution. They do not want to be nickeled and dime to death. Buying by features??? Are you kidding me??? I want a fully functional dictionary right from the get go. Maybe I won't need a feature, but I don't want to paying each time I change my mind. You are selling a solution. A full solutions. Who buys a car by buying the tires, then wheels, then engine, then steering wheel??? Paying customers want some that is full and comprehensive right off the bat. If somebody is buying ala carte to save $10, then that should not be your target market. Your target market is someone who is willing to sell out $30-$50 without thinking twice. I think you can lower your price. I am sure that the elasticity in the demand model. I think a comfortable price point is $19.95 for an app. I say this because you are not developing the hardware, just software. And forget that "student" pricing business. The who is buying a dictionary for the sake of it? The only reason that somebody is buying a dictionary is because they are learning. Whether they are a student or not. Keep it simple, honest, and fair.

Target parents of children looking for that edge in studying Chinese. They will spend thousands of dollars for Sunday Chinese courses. Imagine a kid that is told by their parents that they have to go to Chinese class and them must have an iTouch or iPhone. You will see tears from their eyes.

Personally, I have not tried out your software yet, but I have used other learning tools when I was in school, and I am looking to provide my kids the same advantage. My hesitation right now is that they do not have an iTouch or iPhone. If your product is as good as all the posters claim, then I think you consider an outreach program to sign up schools and teachers. Develop application outside of the apps that can help teachers prepare their course work so that it is downloadable into the app. Make the app a part of the course, and not just a supplement. I am a big believer in digital learning, and Apple has change the way the game is being played. Did you know that some schools require an iPad as part of the school equipment. (It them becomes tax deductible or purchaseable via 529 saving plan)

I think you may be spending too much time hoping that Apple will make you successful, but they are just a channel. You need to reach out to other channels that are more direct and influencial, especially in the education market. And don't forget, sell a solution and not bits and pieces. If you really want to do something for free, you can think about a shareware model, but I don't know if that will work. Most college students are not that generous... until they get a job.

Finally, I did look at your website, and I am confused by all the dictionaries you have. How much difference are there really in all those dictionaries. 90% of the dictionary words are the same, so just pick the best one and just promote it heavily. Keep all those other dictionary add-on completely separate. Either you include them, or don't. Having them there makes people "feel" like they are missing something if they don't buy it, and who want shell out more money for redundancy. Imagine, being asked to pay $50 for something and it is still not complete. Very poor marketing. Remember, it is the impression that is important.

Best of Luck, I do think that learning tools are the right trend and this platform lends itself to that success.

King

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting take, thanks for your thoughts on this. Though I'm afraid a couple of these ideas are simply impossible due to the nature of App Store.

live2work said:
I wonder if you are trying to address the wrong audience. Instead of trying to expand the market against "free" apps, I think you can do a better job in trying to address the market at the high-end. There are companies out there that sell chinese dictionary stand-alone products that sell for hundreds of dollars. I was actually considering one of them, but I find their functionalities limited. Having a platform like the iphone or itouch is a great advantage for you. I am seriously considering buying an itouch for my children just because of the learning tools available. If I were you, I would focus less marketing on a consumer base that is reluctant to pay vs. a consumer base that is willing to pay. This would require some additional business risks, but it may have better rewards. Do NOT rely on Apple to do the promotions for you, find other mechanisms to do it, e.g. google ads, etc.

From what I can tell, those standalone dictionaries rely largely on having a retail store presence, which isn't really an option for us. We actually ran Google ads for a long time but the conversion rate never justified the cost - the number of people who are curious enough to click is way out of sync with the number who'd ever consider paying what we charge. And that was on Palm/WM - on iPhone we don't even have any way to track ad conversions so as to make sure we're putting our AdWords budget to good use, we'd just be blindly hoping that the clicks we generated actually turned into sales.

Really I can't imagine a better promotional tool for a paid Chinese dictionary app than a free one - it's perfectly targeted, we're going after people who already a) own an iPhone/iPod/iPad and b) are interested in a Chinese dictionary and we're showcasing ours to them, the cost per download on our side is essentially zero, and we'd need to have a free version of our app in App Store in any case since that's the closest that Apple lets anyone come to a "demo version."

live2work said:
Instead of selling software, sell solutions. Become an Apple product distributor. I don't know what it takes to become one, but you can position it like this. Sell a full loaded iTouch with bundled dictionary for the same prices as other are selling iTouches, and make profits on the iTouch sell. I have not worked out the cost models, but I am sure that you can think about it.

Not really allowed - iPhone software sales have to be tied to a particular iTunes account, there's no mechanism by which we can "preload" a copy of Pleco on a new iPod without doing an end-run around Apple's distribution system (which is liable to get our app speedily banned); I suppose we could go "full rogue" and start selling Pleco only on jailbroken iPod Touches that we sold directly, but that doesn't seem like a very good long-term strategy. We have been considering something like this for our upcoming Android software, though - could even commission a custom Pleco-branded piece of hardware on that.

live2work said:
Get into the Chinese courses. Hire a few students to generate supplementary packages for the more popular chinese course, and resell them for a few bucks. The issues I see with some of these general dictionaries are that they require a lot of user set up. e.g. entering flash cards, create lessons from text books etc. Get involved with some of the professors to sponsor your lessons. It only takes a few before it becomes a "standard"

We've been doing some of that, though we could stand to be a little more aggressive about it - it's tough because everyone wants a cut and we're already paying Apple 30%. (again, could be easier on Android assuming Verizon doesn't join AT&T in banning non-Market apps)

live2work said:
Commit to improve the products. The problems with the standalone dictionaries are the fact that they are not expandable. Continue to add value for your existing customer to keep them and help spread the news. The beauty of software is that you allow Apple to improve the hardware every generation, and you give freebie product improvements, and once a while, you come up with a new revision to allow users to "upgrade".

Oh we're very big on that strategy - we've added a ton of new features / functionality through free upgrades since the original release, and only one (flashcards) as a paid one, though OCR (and some more new dictionaries) will be paid upgrades as well.

live2work said:
Your pricing strategy is also distasteful. Too many ala carte selections. I looked at that, and I am completely turned off. Most people want a comprehesive solution. They do not want to be nickeled and dime to death. Buying by features??? Are you kidding me??? I want a fully functional dictionary right from the get go. Maybe I won't need a feature, but I don't want to paying each time I change my mind. You are selling a solution. A full solutions. Who buys a car by buying the tires, then wheels, then engine, then steering wheel??? Paying customers want some that is full and comprehensive right off the bat. If somebody is buying ala carte to save $10, then that should not be your target market. Your target market is someone who is willing to sell out $30-$50 without thinking twice. I think you can lower your price. I am sure that the elasticity in the demand model. I think a comfortable price point is $19.95 for an app. I say this because you are not developing the hardware, just software. And forget that "student" pricing business. The who is buying a dictionary for the sake of it? The only reason that somebody is buying a dictionary is because they are learning. Whether they are a student or not. Keep it simple, honest, and fair.

We actually didn't start offering a la carte pricing because we expected people to pick and choose a bunch of items, we started offering it mostly for the sake of people who just want one or two - someone who's quite happy with a basic Chinese dictionary in other respects but really wants access to full-screen handwriting, e.g. I tend to view Add-ons as something akin to a whole series of apps, apps that since they're living in the same sandbox can piggyback on each other to share data / allow for easier task switching / etc; our flashcard module could be perfectly viable as a standalone app, for example, but it's better with the dictionary integration that comes with being built into Pleco.

There's also a practical component to add-ons; we want the flexibility to introduce new ones later, and we don't want to have to retroactively pay royalties on them for all of the thousands and thousands of people who bought that bundle in the past, so we need a way to sell new dictionaries we license individually. And we need some way for people who bought our products years ago on Palm/WM and transferred to iPhone to add the new pieces they're missing.

On pricing, we're at the mercy of publishers to some extent - we'd lose a substantial amount of money on every copy if we charged $20 (even for the Basic bundle). The educational discount prices we offer now are about the lowest prices we can afford to charge, and that's only because we get a break on some of our royalties by offering items with educational discounts. And it's not for lack of trying that the royalties we pay are as high as they are...

I'm interested by your reaction to this, though - can you think of any way we might be able to present the idea of individual add-ons that would seem a bit less distasteful? Maybe if we consolidated a lot of the little non-dictionary modules like flashcards / reader / audio into a single purchase, say, a "plus pack" that would include other non-royalty-paying new features we added in the future? (the only feature so far, flashcards, we did give to every previous bundle purchaser - we generally only charge for upgrades when they involve new per-copy royalties on our end)

live2work said:
Target parents of children looking for that edge in studying Chinese. They will spend thousands of dollars for Sunday Chinese courses. Imagine a kid that is told by their parents that they have to go to Chinese class and them must have an iTouch or iPhone. You will see tears from their eyes.

That one we definitely need to do more work on, though I think the first step is coming up with a UI that's less intimidating for kids.

live2work said:
Personally, I have not tried out your software yet, but I have used other learning tools when I was in school, and I am looking to provide my kids the same advantage. My hesitation right now is that they do not have an iTouch or iPhone. If your product is as good as all the posters claim, then I think you consider an outreach program to sign up schools and teachers. Develop application outside of the apps that can help teachers prepare their course work so that it is downloadable into the app. Make the app a part of the course, and not just a supplement. I am a big believer in digital learning, and Apple has change the way the game is being played. Did you know that some schools require an iPad as part of the school equipment. (It them becomes tax deductible or purchaseable via 529 saving plan)

Also something we definitely need to work on more - we're thinking about some pretty bold steps, like sending free copies to a few thousand US Chinese teachers (and maybe even free loaner devices for a few of them).

live2work said:
Finally, I did look at your website, and I am confused by all the dictionaries you have. How much difference are there really in all those dictionaries. 90% of the dictionary words are the same, so just pick the best one and just promote it heavily. Keep all those other dictionary add-on completely separate. Either you include them, or don't. Having them there makes people "feel" like they are missing something if they don't buy it, and who want shell out more money for redundancy. Imagine, being asked to pay $50 for something and it is still not complete. Very poor marketing. Remember, it is the impression that is important.

If that's your impression then I think you really need to spend more time with Chinese dictionaries - there are HUGE differences between them. We wouldn't be selling all of these extra dictionaries if people didn't want / use them; the only way we could give people a "complete" package for $50 would be to drop most of our current dictionaries and redefine "complete" as something like our current Basic bundle.

And by your logic, how can Microsoft get away with selling a "Home & Student" version of Office that's missing some business apps? People are paying over $100 for that and it's still not "complete." How can Adobe "nickel & dime" you for Photoshop / Illustrator / etc in addition to selling them as part of Creative Suite (and then offer several different editions of CS with different combinations of apps), isn't that equally distasteful?

We address a lot of different needs with Pleco, and while there's certainly a lot of room for improvement in how we market our software I feel like our fundamental concept is sound - create an amazing product, offer it with a ton of different options / add-ons to meet the needs of a wide variety of different people, and charge whatever we have to to stay in business and continue improving it.

radioman

状元
Interesting Article on Application Ratings... http://goo.gl/5jVI

EDIT: and another on alternating study environments, mixing content, spacing study sessions, self-testing - all which appear to provide significant benefit to memorization.

Seems to me the last one provides good support that having a method of taking your studies "mobile" / space repetition learning / testing, study / reading / writing - I wish I could find such a product... :)

gato

状元
I'm interested by your reaction to this, though - can you think of any way we might be able to present the idea of individual add-ons that would seem a bit less distasteful? Maybe if we consolidated a lot of the little non-dictionary modules like flashcards / reader / audio into a single purchase, say, a "plus pack" that would include other non-royalty-paying new features we added in the future? (the only feature so far, flashcards, we did give to every previous bundle purchaser - we generally only charge for upgrades when they involve new per-copy royalties on our end)
I think what he's suggesting is that charging for features on a la carte basis is confusing. The alternative might be to eliminate the features a la menu, keep the three basic, complete and professional bundles, and keep the a la carte only for the dictionaries. I think that's the way it works for Palm and WM still, right?

Entropy

榜眼
gato said:
I think what he's suggesting is that charging for features on a la carte basis is confusing. The alternative might be to eliminate the features a la menu, keep the three basic, complete and professional bundles, and keep the a la carte only for the dictionaries.

There are certainly some advantages to charging for modules the user doesn't yet know they might need (such as, in my case, the spoken vocabulary modules, since at the time I downloaded Pleco (March) I had no intention of ever speaking Chinese, or the flashcard module, which I'm certainly likely to use but wasn't inclined to pay for.)

Users often don't know what will be useful to them until after they try it out. There's this guy "Mike Love" for example who doesn't seem to know just how awesome a good stroke order module could be. :lol:

I'd certainly be happy if all the features came in a single bundle. The question in my mind continues to be: is $49 seemingly too expensive for the naive user, even though he'll end up spending much more if he buys the add-ons individually? How price-sensitive are the users of Pleco?

gato

状元
Hmm. Mike will have to look at his sales data to see how popular the the features a la carte option is. If such a la carte sales are low, that would suggest that using the a la carte approach to increase sales by lowering the entry-level price may not be working. On the other hand, if there are more sales of the handwriting recognizer as an a la carte option than sales of the basic bundle, then you could say that the a la carte approach is achieving its intended effect.