Which dictionary do you use for flashcard learning?

mhilm

I am just starting out with learning Chinese characters/words. I am creating my own flashcards. However, I do not know which dictionary (ABC, CC, PLC or any others?) provides the "best" definitions for learning the meaning of the characters. Which one do you use? And why?

Also, are you learning all definitions provided or only the ones that are most relevant in context you found the character, e.g. the textbook definition. What would be a good strategy?

Wan

榜眼
I use the PLC dictionary and enable the Xrefs in flashcards. I chose PLC because of the abundant example sentences and enabling Xrefs will make them show up in flashcard sessions.

Jim Kay

举人
"...enable the Xrefs in flashcards..."

I have an iPad Retina and have searched through all the flashcard settings I can find, but I didn't see 'Xrefs' anywhere.

Is this a 'version' issue or am I just not looking in the right place?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"...enable the Xrefs in flashcards..."

I have an iPad Retina and have searched through all the flashcard settings I can find, but I didn't see 'Xrefs' anywhere.

Is this a 'version' issue or am I just not looking in the right place?

It's under "Display" in the "More Settings" section of "Flashcard Testing" - setting is called "Definition Sections."

Jim Kay

举人
Interesting! (And thank you.)

So "Settings" gets me only SOME of the Pleco settings. While Flashcards->Flashcard Testing->Display: get me many more settings.

Indeed, I was looking in the wrong place. (I confuse easily.) "I see" said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - flashcards have multiple "profiles," each of which can have its own independent settings, so we keep those separately configurable through the Flashcards screen.

Jim Kay

举人
From what I have figured out so far, there is a mixture of absolute and % changes in card values and I can't quite figure out how to manage those or to even understand what's happening.

It would be nice to see a card traced through it's path as it was being studied with correct and incorrect answers. I think the table I put up could be a starting point for describing just what happens to a card's status after various study events.