What new PDA (Palm OS) to buy?

I'm returning to China for more language study in a few months. I'm currently using a Palm IIIxe which of course is maxed out. I've actually had to delete some programs to be able to fit the Oxford? English & Chinese Dictionary. I recently got the money to get 2 new PDAs, one for me and one for my wife.

In addition to the Oxford? English & Chinese Dictionary, I'm also using SuperMemo and would like a PDA with MP3/WMA file capability. I'm going to use it to listen to textbook lessons from CD.

1) Any suggestions on what to get if I get something soon?

2) I read in the forum here about new models coming out using OS6. Any idea when? Do the new OS's usually have a lot of bugs? I don't want to mess with problems when I'm in school.

Thanks,

Mei2Qiang2
(PS, shouldn't it be a law that whenever you write Han4yu3 Pin1Yin1, you MUST put the tones in?)

Mads

举人
As far as I know it's gonna be a while before the new Palms hit the market, probably around 3-4 months. Palm and Sony are holding their cards close about the new release, but rumours say it wont be until summertime at least.

If your looking to buy one now I suggest you get the Tungsten E, I just got one and it works great for me. If your going to China soon you might wan't to get it here. You will get CJKOS and the ability to write characters freehand for free, those to features will set you back 80$ if you buy it as separate software. On top of that those two programs are put in ROM on the chinese models so it want take up space in your RAM.

The Tungsten E sells for about 1800RMB SD-card 256mb 500RMB and a leather wallet 70RMB Boxwave plastic screen 40RMB.

Mads

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It actually looks like it'll be closer to fall until OS 6 devices hit, and quite frankly the biggest benefits of Palm OS 6 probably aren't going to come along until several months later - most of the improvements are under-the-hood stuff that developers need to take advantage of, and a lot of the tools we need to develop for it are still being written. There'll be some OS 6-enhanced apps as soon as it's released, but just as with OS 5 it'll be at least a few months until the really cool stuff starts to come along. (and we probably won't be making PlecoDict OS 6-native until 2005 at the earliest)

I agree with Mads on the Tungsten E, it's a cheap but high-resolution OS 5 device and the memory expansion slot is very useful as a complete install of PlecoDict may actually take up more than the 32 MB of built-in RAM.

Purchasing a Tungsten E from China

Thanks Mads and Mike. I dreaded doing the research.

1) Anyone have any good ideas how to purchase a Tungsten E from China?

I have a neighbor visiting near Bei3jing1 right now. His wife said he could get it for me. Good idea? Know any good stores in Bei3jing1?

2) Does the RealOne? Mobile Player play Windows Media files or is there an easy way to convert my audio CDs and tapes to the required format? (Right now I use the Windows Media Encoder).

--a) Is the "requires expansion card" the same thing as the SD-card, or do I need a separate card when I play audio?

3) What is the difference between the "built-in voice memo recorder" and the "built-in voice communications"?

4) Do you recommend buying all the accessories in China too? SD-card, ,wallet, etc.

5) I actually want to buy 2. One for me, one for my wife. Any suggestions on bargains/discounts?

6) I noticed the price on the Palm site is a bit less than what Mads said it is in China. Do you know if I can purchase from China through the Palm site?

There was another question, but my brain just faded.

Thanks,

Mei2Qiang2

Question 7

7) A Palm purchased in China is still English "based" correct? I mean that all the OS stuff is in English unless I turn on the CJKOS dialogues, right?

Thanks,

Mei2 Qiang2

Mads

举人
Hi Mei Qiang

1) there's an area just south of BeiDa (Bejijing university) with 3-4 computer malls. If my memory serves my right it's called "zhong guan cun". It's the name of the district but its famous for its computer markets, so people often just refer to these shopping centers as "Zhong guan cun".
There ar several shops there that sells PDA's.

I know I said before that I think it's good idea to buy the PDA in China if your studying Chinese. The only problem using the Chinese PDA is that when your in "english mode" it won't show chinese characters. If your chinese is good enough you could just stay in chinese mode all the time though (chinese mode does show english). I bought mine in Canada and I installed the CJKOS and it also works fine

All in all I've changed my mind a bit and actually think its just as good a choice to buy the english PDA. Theres ups and downs to both choices.

2) I'm not sure about Realone supporting WMA but your PDA will come with the realone program where you can easily convert CD's into mp3 and realones own format. It works really well in my opnion. You just choose the tracks you want to upload on your pda and then it will convert and transfer simultaneously. The program works as a card reader so no need for hotsync.

A) I would think so. An SD card is just added memory. It'll work with software and files like audio-files. Some programs need to run on internal ram, and most programs will run slower on an SD card.

3) I don't know. The TE doesn't come with a voice-recorder though.

4) I don''t know where you live and the prices on the goods there, if theres a significant price difference then get it where its cheap.

5) In China you can always bargain, they are good at it though.

6) No idea, ask them.

7) Right, only has the above mentioned problem.

The chinese software bundle for the TE does not include "Documents to go", but comes with Quick Office in both english and chinese version. All the rest of the software comes in both english and chinese as well.

Leaning toward the English version

Thanks Mads,

1) I'm leaning toward the English version.

a) My Chinese reading is very, very limited.

b) I already have 2 licenses for CJKOS. What happens to the pre-installed CJKOS when there is an update?

c) I can buy it here in the US.

2) As for the voice recorder, I had clicked on the "features legend" and when it popped up I thought the TE had all of that. I just looked back at the page and realize that it was the legend for ALL Palms.

a) Does anyone see a big need for a built in voice recorder during language learning? My Mandarin is already at survival mode so I don't really need tons of practice listening to tones.

Thanks for your help.

Mei2Qiang2

Ugh, what about the 120V charger?

Hi Mads,

If you bought yours in Canada, I'm assuming the charger is 120V. Do you just use an adapter in China or is the charger 120/240?

Is it a "common" charger, one that can be easily replaced with a 240V in China?

Thanks,

Mei2 Qiang2

Mads

举人
1) The PDAs in China are actually also "english", only difference is that you have the option for chinese aswell. Im not really sure how it would work with two versions of CJKOS but I don't see why it would be a problem. The preinstalled CJKOS version does not effect "the system" at all when turned off. Enabling two versions at the same time might be a problem though, I haven't tried so I can't really say.

2a) I have a voice recorder in my mp3 player (IRiver ftp190) but i never use it. I guess it depends on how you like to study.

I use an adapter right now, I also have a chinese charger that I use every day when I go study. When studying and using the TE for looking up words, going through your flashcards, listening to mp3, you will quickly use up the batteri. To carry an adapter and the charger around might me a bit much so I would suggest to just get another charger that works here in China. It'll probably not cost more than an adapter anyway.

Don't Get PDA's in China

The market for PDA's in China is so small, you are not going to get any deals here. Best to Buy Stateside. You can install an OS to convert to Chinese or Japanese, but I would wait until you have surmounted some language learning curves first.

I think the chargers for the Palm's are sort of "trickle" chargers, and it makes no difference when you plug them into the Chinese socket-which fits the US without the flared sided tong. People just plug in their laptops, too.

If you are coming to China and want to be as hassle-free as possible, you will want to have your Palm, be used to really using the thing, crash it (lose all the addresses), learn to reinstall the lost data, learn how to get data on and off the storage chip, etc. People make the mistake thinking PalmOS is small therefore "I can master this in an afternoon max." WRONG!! It is one powerful and nifty tool that few people have pushed to the limit. I have a friend that worked for AP, is a writer, editor, traveler, etc. She has a desktop PC and has gone totally to a Palm Tungsten with keyboard and DISOWNED HER LAPTOP! In short, get started now if you are planning on using a Palm in China.

If you are getting 2 Palms, get a keyboard and battery charger/cable (uses regular batteries to recharge you if you are away from the cradle). A lot of wasted travel time can be saved by writing letters, notes, data, etc. on the trail.

Have been here studying and travelling for 2+ years. Nobody to advise me when I came, but I would feel it "education malpractice" not to pass on these suggestions.

Good on ya!

Mads

举人
By the the way...

I just figured out that if you install the english version of CJKOS on the "chinese PDA" it will replace the the preinstalled CJKOS.

Also, there is a thing called loacalizer in the CJKOS setup that you can turn of and menus, programs etc. will be in english.

Everything still in ROM, pretty neat.

Transferring data from a Palm IIIxe to a Tungsten T3

Thanks for all the help everyone. I started a new topic about transferring data from a Palm IIIxe to a Tungsten T3.

Mei2Qiang2

Chinese PDAs?

Some time has passed since this thread was active. I wonder if anyone has bought locally marketed Chinese PDAs.

I'm at Beijing University until the end of the month, and considering getting a Chinese PDA, if it is said to be a good idea. I've spent a fair amount of time at the local computer markets, but haven't considered the idea of a Chinese PDA until reading this thread.

Thanks!