Wacom Intuos3 vs. HW SuperPen Standard 0503?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
With all due respect to Wenlin (which for the most part is a great piece of software), their handwriting recognition engine is far from perfect - the really good recognizers are the result of millions of dollars in development costs and years of painstaking AI research, and while Tom Bishop is a brilliant programmer and mathematician there's only so much Wenlin can do developing a recognizer on their own.

I'd love to see them license a third-party recognizer for Wenlin 4.0, actually - I have no idea where they are in development on that, but I think it would be well worth the extra cost for the improvements it would bring.

I'm probably a little biased since they're a valued business partner, but I'd say go with Hanwang - best recognizer I've ever used and I've tried out an awful lot of them.

adamlau

探花
Also, has anyone tried the wired vs. wireless pen? Is one going to be more accurate than the other? Curious...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We haven't thought about it, but it might actually be a good idea... we're well positioned to sell this stuff, between our relationship with Hanwang and our online store which already caters to Chinese learners.

I don't think there'd be much of a difference between the wired and wireless pens - with a well-designed tablet at least the accuracy should be identical.

A

Anonymous

I'd suggest you sell the hardware as well.

Also, it would give you some access to desktop market, rather than just handhelds. I'm thinking specifically about Tablet PCs, however.

I recognize that copy protection issues with desktops is more of an issue, however.

Perhaps you could write up a review of your experiences with different recognizer packages, and software? Even under a psuedonym, it would be useful (if business relationships prohibit direct naming).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually copy-protection isn't that tricky with desktops, because with a downloaded software program it's quite reasonable to require users to be connected to the internet the first time they use the software in order to activate it. (thus allowing us to ensure that someone's not passing a single PlecoDict serial around an entire Chinese department at least)

But yeah, tablets are a big potential market, as are handtops (the slightly-larger-than-a-PDA machines running full WinXP that are just starting to come onto the market and are likely to replace high-end PDAs within a few years)

I don't know if I'd be qualified to write such a review even under a pseudonym, since I wasn't trying to survey the entire market but simply the options available to us for licensing. And I'm not a native speaker of Chinese, so there are likely others out there in a much better position to evalute things like cursive recognition and obscure characters than myself.