Using the .txt file to manage flashcards ...

inorbit

举人
I think it could be confusing to use the text file since it does not include empty categories and seems to not be the only source to create the tree of category/cards.

Like you told me, I use the following syntax in my .txt file

//Book 1/Chapter 1
//Book 1/Chapter 2
//Book 2/Chaper 1

At first, I was thinking that the only source to create my "tree" would be the .txt file, but it is not.
In fact, cards that were precedently (before my import of a .txt containing only the three categories defined precedently) in the undefined category were still present (even if I have not included them in my .txt file).

Is the .txt file is only used to add to the tree but not define the tree?

Also, after I observed that, I tried to remove all the cards in the Uncategorized using the following mecanism:

menu -> flashcards -> organize cards -> Edit -> Batch
set Category to Uncategorized -> Remove cards from category -> Yes

But even after that, the cards are still in Uncategorized??

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, the text file is only used to add to the tree - to be honest, as far as I can remember we've never had anybody else ask to be able to define empty categories before.

Uncategorized is a special category, more of a filter to pick up cards that aren't in any other category - the only way to remove a card from it is to add it to another category or delete it altogether.

inorbit

举人
Ok, at this point, it's like I focusing on adding empty categories (I have two different books with around 100 chapters each, so I can save time by entering this at the beginning, in a file, instead of typing these on my phone), but in fact, I also try to understand how the managing via files (.txt or .xml) works for the future when I will have thousands of entries in the system.

In the case of the .xml file, is it, "completely defining" the category/cards or is it only additive (like the .txt file)?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, understood. Strange that this isn't a more popular request, actually...

XML files are additive, just like TXT files.