"Unfortunately, Pleco has stopped"--why???

Hello all, my first post to this board in quite a few years.

I got my first smartphone (HTC One) this past summer and started using Pleco on it. Everything was just fine up until last night. I was trying to look up a word and suddenly a dialog box pops up with the message in the subject line, and Pleco reset. Despite having restarted my phone several times and gotten the latest update, the problem has gotten worse. I can still look up words, but when I press on one to get a more detailed definition, the message pops up again and now Pleco just promptly quits.

Has anybody else who runs Pleco on an Android device experienced this? The phone is now running Android 4.3; I upgraded to that several weeks ago but the problem only began last night (for me).

cheers,

Gabe

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In our experience, HTCs have an unfortunate habit of corrupting files on SD cards (they've been doing it since the Windows Mobile days, in fact) and usually when a random crash starts happening like this it relates to some sort of file corruption. So I'd recommend that you delete and then reinstall Pleco; you can back up your flashcard database first by copying it from /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases on your SD card to a safer location like your computer's hard drive.

In our experience, HTCs have an unfortunate habit of corrupting files on SD cards (they've been doing it since the Windows Mobile days, in fact) and usually when a random crash starts happening like this it relates to some sort of file corruption. So I'd recommend that you delete and then reinstall Pleco; you can back up your flashcard database first by copying it from /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases on your SD card to a safer location like your computer's hard drive.

I'm not using an actual SD card to store the Pleco databases--does this mean that my phone's internal memory is actually an SD card, or something very like it?

cheers,

Gabe

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, an emulated SD card basically. Delete and reinstall should still clear this up, hopefully.

Oh boy...I really hope I'm not going to be sorry I got this phone. :-S. Not just for Pleco, but for all the other stuff I've put on it...

Anyway, an uninstall/reinstall seems to have worked--for now. Thanks !

cheers,

Gabe