Unable to Scroll within Flashcards: The Slider is Microscopic, Unusable

LinZheFu

进士
I don't know if the problem is new to the latest version of Pleco or due to an update in Samsung's system software for my Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 tablet, but Pleco has become a lot less usable due to difficulty in scrolling.

A common review method for me is to add new words to one of several flashcard sets, and then review them. I often want to scroll down to the most recent additions in order to ask new questions to my teacher or others. But now I can't do that effectively. The slider is so thin, and in large collections, it shrinks to being very short, may just a few pixels. I can see it, but no matter how I try, I can't grab it and slide down to where I want to go. I have to swipe the page upward, one small block of text at a time. During my last lesson it took me almost 5 minutes of page swiping to get to the bottom of my main set of flashcards when it used to just take a simple motion. Once I got there, I didn't dare look up any words knowing that Pleco would then bump me back to the top of the list when I came back (would be nice to let you come back to where you were, by the way).

Is there anything that can be done to make the scrollbar/slider more usable? It has become completely unusable for me in multiple flashcard collections.

Would be nice to have a feature to increase size of the slider if desired. Would also be nice to add easy ways to move to the top and bottom of these collections, or search for words within a collection.

LinZheFu

进士
Actually, it's not just big collections that have this problem. The scrolling slider doesn't seem to work with any flashcard set, even when there are just a few cards and the slider is long and more visible. When I put my finger over it and move, it doesn't grab the slider. I can grab the sliders in other places like on long listings for a definition, but when I go to organize flashcards and go into a single flashcard selection, I can no longer scroll at all using the slider.

It is as if the slider is actually beneath the displayed text, so when I put my finger over it, it's just the same as if I had put my finger in the center of the screen, and moving my finger down just slowly moves the displayed text up closer toward the top, one small swipe at a time.

Yes, I've tried restarting my Galaxy Tab. Same problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This sounds like a bug - we did disable support for that slider altogether in a few screens where it was broken (most importantly the definition screen - slider can't deal with something of such variable height well and we found it to be basically unusable on that screen) but I don't know why it wouldn't be showing up normally in Organize Cards.

I'm confused by your comment about "I didn't dare look up any words knowing that Pleco would then bump me back to the top of the list when I came back" - which specific way would you be looking up words? Just tapping on them to bring up their Card Info screens, or doing something else? Tapping on an item shouldn't jump you back to the top of the list - doesn't on any of our test devices, anyway, though this could easily be something specific to the Galaxy Tab.

LinZheFu

进士
I tested scrolling on my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (smaller version but similar to my 10.1) and found the same behavior. In Organize Cards, within any flashcard collection, the slider for scrolling does not work. To move to the bottom of a large collection requires numerous swipes to move slowly on page at a time. But this feature used to work - just 3 or 4 weeks ago it was working fine. What changed?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Might have to do with that firmware update, actually - have you seen any weird scrolling behavior in any other apps? (I'm seeing this on a few devices here too, so it's probably not just confined to that firmware update, but perhaps that will provide some insight as to what's causing it)

LinZheFu

进士
Reinstalled Pleco, but still have the slider bug. Scrolling seems OK in other apps. Works fine in Evernote. Polaris Office has slider that looks the same as Pleco's, but to the left of it is a floating button that is easy to grab and move for quick scrolling. Seems to work OK. Mail also has that and it works - I didn't notice this floating button before and wonder if it is a new addition to the Android system. Maybe Pleco needs to tweak a setting to let Android know you're not using the optional floating button but just the original thin slider - perhaps it thinks you want the floating button.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Since we are reproducing it on a few devices here I think we'll try to fix it on those and hope that it applies on yours too, and follow up further if it doesn't. (we have relatively few Android tablet customers - the most popular tablet among our Android users is actually iPad :) - so we don't have a Tab 3 in inventory to test on)