Unable to access ABC dictionary

starky

I recently had a piece of Chinese software I was installing delete just about everything off my Treo, though that was not why I installed it.

As a result, I had to reinstall Plecodict. I installed the full version of 1.0.3b and copied my keyfile over. Everything seemed to go smoothly. My Treo (which runs Microsoft Mobile, a travesty of engineering if there ever was one) gave me a "low memory" warning, but did not indicate there were problems installing any of the files. In the installation, I selected only the NWP and ABC dictionaries as they are the ones I am licensed to use as I have a Professional license.

Unfortunately, my ABC dictionary is mysteriously missing. When I select Help | Ordering, I see my Device ID and it only lists NWP in the "Paid Dicts". Moreover, in Help | Ordering, it lists the Oxford C-E and E-C dictionaries when it shouldn't.

I'm flummoxed. I've tried reinstalling several times, always explicitly selecting NWP and ABC dictionaries in the install, but the ABC dictionary is missing and the Oxford dictionaries are there even though I explicitly deselected them. If I could uninstall Plecodict, then reinstall it, that might work. But running the installation program (pccomplete103b.exe) does not give me the option to uninstall.

So my question is, does this look familiar to anyone? Alternatively, is there a way to do a complete uninstall of Plecodict, then reinstall from scratch?

starky

Since my post, I managed to figure out that there was a window hiding behind a larger foreground window telling me the ABC dictionary install was unsuccessful due to insufficient memory. Doh!

I reinstalled, and had it only install the ABC dictionary and everything went smoothly. So the problem seems to be solved.

However, I'm still curious if there's a way to completely uninstall Plecodict from a PDA if need be.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Glad to hear you managed to get it working.

If you go to Start \ Settings \ System \ Remove Programs and uninstall all of the PlecoDict items in there, that should remove all of the built-in Pleco data files from your Treo; using File Explorer to remove the user dict / flashcard files from My Documents should take care of the rest. The registry entries (preferences, unlock keys, etc) would still be left behind though - to remove those you'd need to use a registry editor.