type english and chinese

daodeyao

秀才
I have a treo 650. At first, I could only type English but when I tried using the pinyin typing I just got gobbledygook. Also, if someone sent me a text in Chinese, it was also garbled. I went to the seller and he installed software that allowed me to type and read Chinese but now I can't type English! I can use the touch screen and "type" using the the touchscreen keyboard but it is a slow and cumbersome method. I still must have cjkos enabled or incoming messages are still a mess. Is there a way to easily swtch from chinese to english and use the keyboard for both?

gato

状元
I went to the seller and he installed software that allowed me to type and read Chinese but now I can't type English!
Do you know what software the seller installed? The toggle between roman alphabet and Chinese will depend on what software you are using. With my Chinese entry software 掌易, I need to use the phone button (on the upper left) to toggle. But that probably won't work for you unless you are using 掌易, as well.

Aunty

举人
So is CJKOS making everything display as Chinese? That's easy to fix!

Go into the CJKOS configuration (Tap on the cjkos icon to run it), and select the SECOND tab.
At the bottom on the left there is a checkbox "Localizer". UNCHECK that bottom left hand box.
All fixed!

You're back in English but you can still read and write Chinese text as well.
On the third config screen, you can choose what action will switch your typing into Chinese mode, e.g. by double tapping where you want to type, or by hitting the numeric keypad "123" on the silk screen area.

If that doesn't fix it, or if the program is not called cjkos, then please let us know so we can try something else.

daodeyao

秀才
Thanks for offering to help. I unchecked the localizer and now CJKOS displays in English. Under the first tab, all 4 boxes are checked (enabled). Under the 2nd tab, the 1st and 4th box are checked. Under the third tab, on the left, enable cjkos is checked with input method 全拼 (the other choices are none or 符号)and lookup is set as "none" (other choices are 全拼 or 符号. I tried using the other 2 choices but got the same results). The double tap is enabled, so that made it easier to open the keyboard, but.....I can still only use the keyboard to type pinyin which gives me the chinese character choices (I want this, of course) but I can only input english by using the touchscreen keyboard which is a slow and clumsy method.

Aunty

举人
Sorry none of my PDAs have a keyboard like the treo650, but I'm sure I've heard about people using it with no problems.

The thing that really might help you is using keys on the treo keyboard to toggle various states of cjkos. Try toggling Command+A, also try Option+Space, and see if either of them help you. I guess you don't want to do the double-tap thing nor to bring up the on screen keyboard, and I'm pretty sure there are keys to do everything from the hardware keyboard.

gato

状元
I can still only use the keyboard to type pinyin which gives me the chinese character choices (I want this, of course) but I can only input english by using the touchscreen keyboard which is a slow and clumsy method.
I have both Treo 650 and Treo 680.

It's not CJKOS that's causing this because CJKOS Chinese input is only possible when you turn on CJKOS's onscreen keyboard. That doesn't sound like what's happening in your case. You must have another Chinese entry program installed. You mentioned the dealer installing something on the Treo. Find out what it is and it might be able to disable it or at least find out how to use it.

daodeyao

秀才
OK. Things are improving. I removed the software that the dealer installed (PIME_PY_sogou) and can now write english and, if I double tap, I can input chinese from the keyboard. The current problem is that I can only type one pinyin character at a time which is a slow way to go since 2 character combos are not displayed. Can this be changed?
Thanks,
David

zj

秀才
I just bought a Treo 650 in Shanghai and am having the same problem. If the problem is this other installed software, how did you remove it? So now you can use your hardware keyboard to write in english and chinese?

daodeyao

秀才
Actually, the seller had downloaded the software into it's own "iconed" file (it is a picture of a cartoon foot looked at from the bottom). The software is called 掌易中文输入平台。 Anyway. I just unchecked the boxes (disabled it) and now I am just using cjkos. I haven't succeeded in getting it to input phrases yet but will have time on Sat. to try some more. If I succeed, I will let you know. By the way, the cjkos website http://www.dyts.com/en/download.html has a new (1-31-2007) download that looks more complete than what is on my Palm.
David