TTS System Question

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
numble said:
Does Nuance require a network connection?

In theory no, but all of their iOS implementations so far seem to, and anyway I don't imagine Apple is eager to cut down on the usable storage space of every iOS device by ~500 MB by integrating voice files into the firmware.

Definitely don't hold off on this feature!!! I love the idea of being able to download some large articles, especially from wikipedia, etc. and save them into Pleco's Document Reader and have the TTS system read them to me as I walk down the street! You know what would be really awesome? Is if you guys had a RSS system setup complete with a couple of built-in popular Chinese RSS feeds (of course they can be manually added as well), like for news, etc., that would download daily as text into the Document Reader, and you could use peruse them at your leisure, as well as have the TTS system to read them!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
taiwanshaun said:
Definitely don't hold off on this feature!!! I love the idea of being able to download some large articles, especially from wikipedia, etc. and save them into Pleco's Document Reader and have the TTS system read them to me as I walk down the street!

Already licensed it on iOS and about to do so on Android too, so we'll certainly be working it into our products in some form... we might offer an online option as a free alternative if it was built into the OS, but I'm pretty confident this is something a lot of people would be willing to pay extra to get offline / instantly / with higher-quality audio.

gbraad

Any idea when this functional (at least one voice) will leave the Experimental/Beta stage? If so, available on both iOS and Android?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gbraad said:
Any idea when this functional (at least one voice) will leave the Experimental/Beta stage? If so, available on both iOS and Android?

It'll be in the big iOS update.