Troubles with Import - Definition Source - File Only

Hi!

I have created some long vocabulary lists in excel (hanzi / pinyin / 1 or 2 word definition). Exported as .txt files. Imported into Pleco with the Definition Source as File Only and/or Prefer File. (I would like to study the very short definitions that match my textbooks.) To a large degree this works. However, too many times, the definition reverts to one of the very long dictionary entries.

This is happening too much such that I don't really want to edit each individual card. When I do the Encoding Check, it looks great. I get the short 1 word definitions. The when I look at the cards under Organize Cards, many have the long dictionary definitions.

I have searched, but didn't find anything relevant on the forum. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've also forward my excel created .txt file to a text editor to confirm the tab stops and then exported again as a .txt file. I'm using OS X and iOS 5.0.1 if that matters.

Thanks,

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's probably because you've already created flashcards for those same words with the longer definitions - the system is linking to those existing cards to avoid duplication. If you configure the importer to allow duplicate cards, it'll create new cards for you with your requested definitions instead of keeping those old ones.