Transferring Palm OS License to Android

Hey everyone,

I have got a quick question regarding the transferring of licenses. As I have finally decided to replace my old iPaq and get a new Nexus 7 to use as my Pleco device, I tried to transfer my old license to Android. However, I was told that ,unlike when buying a new Android license, I would only be able to use that transferred license on one Android device. That is generally fine with me, but I also have an Android smartphone and obviously it would be cool if I could use pleco on both devices.

Now, my question is whether it is really only possible to use a transferred license on one Android device? If this is the case then could I probably buy a new Android license and at least transfer my dictionaries from my old Palm license? I spent a lot of money on the dictionaries and I would not get why I need to pay again for the same dictionary.

As a side note, is it possible or planned that one can sync Flashcards etc. between android devices with the same google account? I am not an expert but with google drive this should not be impossible to implement I would guess?

Thanks in advance for the help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MengJiaSheng said:
Now, my question is whether it is really only possible to use a transferred license on one Android device? If this is the case then could I probably buy a new Android license and at least transfer my dictionaries from my old Palm license? I spent a lot of money on the dictionaries and I would not get why I need to pay again for the same dictionary.

The rules say you can only use it on one device, so yes, it's only possible to use it on one device.

MengJiaSheng said:
As a side note, is it possible or planned that one can sync Flashcards etc. between android devices with the same google account? I am not an expert but with google drive this should not be impossible to implement I would guess?

We're not currently planning that on Android since we're waiting for Google to announce an actual iCloud competitor (something that transparently syncs data in the background) - a Google-Drive-based sync would be considerably more awkward to set up / use.

mikelove said:
MengJiaSheng said:

The rules say you can only use it on one device, so yes, it's only possible to use it on one device.

Thanks for the reply. So if I wanted to use pleco on both my tablet and smartphone I would have to buy a new Android license that I could then use on both devices? In that case would I need to buy all the dictionaries I have on my palm license again?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MengJiaSheng said:
Thanks for the reply. So if I wanted to use pleco on both my tablet and smartphone I would have to buy a new Android license that I could then use on both devices? In that case would I need to buy all the dictionaries I have on my palm license again?

Yes - unfortunately, the licenses we signed with publishers in the Palm/WM days (which still apply to your transferred license) only allowed for the use of a single "copy" of Pleco on a single device at a time. (nobody in those days expected people to end up with tablets running smartphone OSes)

There's always a chance that you could "sell" the single license( if this is allowed?). I'm not sure, Mike, but is the single license also transferable to a single iOs device?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
There's always a chance that you could "sell" the single license( if this is allowed?). I'm not sure, Mike, but is the single license also transferable to a single iOs device?

It is, but we're not really allowing the resale of licenses anymore - we can't do it on iOS or on Google Play and we don't want to be doing it for transferred Palm/WM copies because the new owners will be getting something that's significantly more limited than a newly-purchased iOS/Android copy and might not realize that.

I was thinking more of existing Pleco owners, like myself, who have converted a single Palm license into a single [other] license. For the right price, it would be easier (for example) for someone like me to buy a "second" license for a second device. Not ideal, and probably not as good a resale value as a full multi license, but it would have a bit of value in the right circumstance.

I'd also been thinking of getting a full "multi" license a while back. Now, I think that's an even better option, since one can run on both Apple and Android platforms with the same license? (Or is it an either/or deal?)

Stephan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
I was thinking more of existing Pleco owners, like myself, who have converted a single Palm license into a single [other] license. For the right price, it would be easier (for example) for someone like me to buy a "second" license for a second device. Not ideal, and probably not as good a resale value as a full multi license, but it would have a bit of value in the right circumstance.

The problem is that that second license isn't any cheaper from our end than a brand new one - we have to pay the same royalties. Licenses weren't cheaper in the Palm/WM days, they were just more restrictive - newer copies let you use multiple devices because the license agreements allow for it, not because we're paying higher royalties.

stephanhodges said:
I'd also been thinking of getting a full "multi" license a while back. Now, I think that's an even better option, since one can run on both Apple and Android platforms with the same license? (Or is it an either/or deal?)

If it's purchased on iOS then yes, you can run on both with the same license.