transfering license for 2 weeks and back

yuvalcho

举人
Hey.

my friend has Pleco and her problem is that she has the iPod touch 4, so OCR will not work on her machine.
is it possible for her to transfer the license to a different machine, lets say, her brother's iPhone, pay the extra for the OCR of course, use it for 2 weeks on his machine and then transfer the license back to her machine after she finishes her paper for uni?
she's got loads of chinese books to translate...

thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
my friend has Pleco and her problem is that she has the iPod touch 4, so OCR will not work on her machine.
is it possible for her to transfer the license to a different machine, lets say, her brother's iPhone, pay the extra for the OCR of course, use it for 2 weeks on his machine and then transfer the license back to her machine after she finishes her paper for uni?
she's got loads of chinese books to translate...

Should be, but she'd have to update her brother's iPhone to use her iTunes account (Settings app / Store) and there may be some limitations from Apple on how often she can do that. But after switching the account, she'd just download Pleco on the new phone and then "Restore iTunes Purchases" - no need to deactivate it on the old one.

yuvalcho

举人
i'd really prefer to avoid messing with someone else's phone (might not be the brother, i didnt ask yet, before having all the information, after all it's taking someones phone for 2 weeks!). i dont really want to change profiles. as you said i m not sure what are the implications of that. i just hoped the other phone could download pleco (free), then she would disable hers, then activate the one on the other phone (by giving the license to the other person) and after finishing, deactivating it from that machine and activating again on the her iPod again.
this way the other person just has an extra app and after all s/he can delete pleco if they want to.

thanks.

btw, i have to say something...when do u have time to answer all of these questions from everyone? maybe that's the reason 2.3 is taking so much time? (-:
i also hope 2.3 will also work on non iOS5 devices, as i have n old iPod and can run only iOS4...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
i'd really prefer to avoid messing with someone else's phone (might not be the brother, i didnt ask yet, before having all the information, after all it's taking someones phone for 2 weeks!). i dont really want to change profiles. as you said i m not sure what are the implications of that. i just hoped the other phone could download pleco (free), then she would disable hers, then activate the one on the other phone (by giving the license to the other person) and after finishing, deactivating it from that machine and activating again on the her iPod again.
this way the other person just has an extra app and after all s/he can delete pleco if they want to.

That's not doable, unfortunately - it has to be activated with the correct account. The only copies of Pleco that aren't tied to specific iTunes accounts are those transferred over from Palm or Windows Mobile, but they're limited to use on one device at a time.

yuvalcho said:
btw, i have to say something...when do u have time to answer all of these questions from everyone? maybe that's the reason 2.3 is taking so much time? (-:
i also hope 2.3 will also work on non iOS5 devices, as i have n old iPod and can run only iOS4...

The main reason for that is Android, answering forum posts is only a small part of my day :) 2.3 will probably require OS 4.2 but it's unlikely that it will require OS 5.

yuvalcho

举人
it's a shame u cant do that, cause that's exactly what i want. that it will work at 1 machine at a time without operating on the other...well, i guess i can blame apple for that, and if not...well i m sure they r responsible for other problems (-:

good to know about the version, as i have 4.2.1.

thanks. and keep up the great work. i also feel less responsible for the delay in 2.3 (-:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
it's a shame u cant do that, cause that's exactly what i want. that it will work at 1 machine at a time without operating on the other...well, i guess i can blame apple for that, and if not...well i m sure they r responsible for other problems (-:

In this case it's pretty much all Apple's fault, yes - has to do with the way they handle reactivations, any system we came up with that allowed for iTunes-less transfers of in-app purchases would basically give a single user the ability to churn out thousands of anonymous, untraceable, indistinguishable-from-a-new-purchase copies of Pleco from a single purchase and hand them out to all of their friends / resell them / etc. We've filed several bug reports about this but they haven't done anything to improve the situation so far.

alanmd

探花
yuvalcho said:
i'd really prefer to avoid messing with someone else's phone (might not be the brother, i didnt ask yet, before having all the information, after all it's taking someones phone for 2 weeks!). i dont really want to change profiles. as you said i m not sure what are the implications of that.

There is no risk with switching iTunes Store accounts on the phone, you can simply switch back again when you have finished. It doesn't affect existing apps other than the fact that they can't get updates while you are switched. I did this to my (Canadian) iPhone recently while I was in the UK; switched to my brother's (UK) account so that I could download from the UK app store. Switched back to my account a few weeks ago and have had no problems.