Traditional Character Radicals (by default)

DSLAM

I'm wondering if there is a way to get the radicals listed in Traditional form as the default in the Radical window that is brought up (when selecting Rad as the input/lookup method).
Yes, when one chooses the simplified radical, the Traditional form will show up, but can I just use the Traditional forms from the beginning? Or am I missing something? I did a search in the manual and on the forums and didn't seem to find anything that addresses this. :?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You actually should see radicals from both character sets listed - are there any particular traditional radicals that aren't coming up correctly? If you go into Settings / Panels / Radical and turn on "Character set filter," that will ensure that tapping on a simplified- or traditional-version radical will only bring up characters from that same character set.

DSLAM

I was confused by there being both simp and trad listed. When I saw the radical for yan2 (speech) under 3 strokes, I assumed that was the listing for the traditional form as well, implying that I needed to know the simplified versions to be able to look up the traditional versions. :? I see now that the traditional form is listed further down, under 7 strokes. And now I understand the "Character set filter" option for the Rad panel. Thank you.

I guess I would prefer to not even have the simplified versions listed at all but it seems that is not possible now. Perhaps later?

BTW, Pleco comes up strong now on an App store search for Chinese Dict - looks like more and more people are discovering the power of Pleco! :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
DSLAM said:
I guess I would prefer to not even have the simplified versions listed at all but it seems that is not possible now. Perhaps later?

Possibly - wouldn't be too difficult to code, just haven't had any requests for it before now.

DSLAM said:
BTW, Pleco comes up strong now on an App store search for Chinese Dict - looks like more and more people are discovering the power of Pleco!

Thanks, but we don't do as well as we'd like for "chinese dictionary" unfortunately - really hard to fathom, since some of the apps above us are fellow free apps that are less popular by pretty much every conceivable numerical measure.

character

状元
mikelove said:
Thanks, but we don't do as well as we'd like for "chinese dictionary" unfortunately - really hard to fathom, since some of the apps above us are fellow free apps that are less popular by pretty much every conceivable numerical measure.
Speculation: perhaps they factor in installed base into the ranking?

Maybe you need "Chinese" and "chinese" in your keywords. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
character said:
Speculation: perhaps they factor in installed base into the ranking?

Possibly, though if you assume that # of reviews is a rough approximation of the installed base we're getting pretty close to some of them - it's the best working theory at the moment though, there's no other statistic that would suggest those apps ought to be ranked above ours.

character

状元
Maybe they update the statistics every month?

Searches on an iPod Touch (I just installed the base Pleco on it, but I'm pretty sure that's not a factor):

chinese
results: chinese calendar, iced, chinese checkers, pleco

chinese dict
results: iced, then pleco

chinese dictionary
results: iced, then pleco

I know it's not quite what you want, but you're on the first page for chinese!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
One of the reasons for the 2.2 delay is that we're trying to get back under 20 MB (maximum size app which you can download over 3G instead of WiFi) without cutting out any features - we think we've now managed to do that successfully, which should help our download rankings significantly.