Some flashcards tags do not appear in the header of dictionary entries

Dagann

Hello.
Firstly, i apologize for my clumsy english.
I have bought the pro bundle a few days ago and i really enjoy it, it helps me a lot in my chinese learning.

I have discovered the tag feature. I use it to tag the dictionary entries with hsk levels and levels from other flahcards list. Really usefull.
This brings me to my problem :
Some flashcards tags do not appear in the header of dictionary entries.
For exemple i have downloaded the Heisig flashcards made by Alexis of the Pleco forum or the Tocfl word list converted from Skritter, and tagged the flashards.
Most of the dictionary entries show the tag, but a few others entries show nothing (whereas the flashcards are tagged), such as 台湾 or 则.
I tested this problem on 2 Asus devices (tablet and smartphone) : same problem for both of them.

I don't know if it's a bug or if something is wrong with some of my flahcards.

Ty for your attention.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... is the + icon appearing with a [+] around it? 台湾 has multiple traditional versions (even the Taiwanese government can't seem to settle on one), so it's possible that your list uses one version while the entry that you're looking at uses another. We'd like to do a better job of duplicate matching in these cases, but it will essentially require us to build a master list of meaningful versus meaningless jianti/fanti variations and that takes some doing; we might consider adding an option to ignore fanti altogether in duplicate checking but we're worried that could introduce some new compatibility problems down the line.

Dagann

Ty for your answer.
There is the icon +, not a [+]. It means there is no flashcard for this entry, isn't it ?

So i think i undertsand, if the flashcard is different from the dictionnary entry, the tag does not appear, as you said.
I have just noticed that when the tag does not appear in the dictionnary entry, it's because the flashcard only show the simplified hanzi, not the traditional one.

I can solve the problem by "converting to dic-based card" the flashcard, even if it's far from being perfect since i lose the original definition.
But sometimes, i don't know why, it says it will duplicate the flash card. And i don't know where the duplicated card is added.

I'm new to pleco, and even with the manual, i still feel i'm lost.:eek:
Btw, where can i find the dictionnaries manager . I have seen the manual, but i don't see how to find the dictionary manager. I guess i have missed something.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's correct, yes. You actually don't need to do that conversion to fill in the missing traditional characters - go into Organize Cards, Edit, Batch and there are actually commands there to automatically generate traditional character conversions for cards that are missing them. (those will be based on dictionary entries, when possible, but they won't cause Pleco to overwrite the definitions)

Manage Dictionaries is in Settings.

HW60

状元
@Dagann: you can use Google to search the manual. For example with
manage site: pleco.com/anmanual/
you find Manage Dictionaries (and other manageable themes).
(There is actually no space between site: and pleco.com, but it looks very strange if you write : p without a space:p)