setting up CJKOS with Treo 680 Hong Kong Version

bpruden

Yesterday I bought the Honk Kong version of the Treo 680 but I can't seem to figure out how to configure CJKOS. It came preinstalled on my smartphone and when I open up the CJKOS place under Preferences it gives me the option to "enable CJKOS" but clicking that changes my entire system to Chinese. When I bought the phone it was all set up with English menus, China Mobile application and the ability to input Chinese but when I went to set it up on my computer it already had a username associated with it so I had to do a hard reset which obviously messed everything up.

Upon setting up my device I choose "English" as my PC operating software is English and it said to make sure they all match. My question is how do I set up my Treo 680 for Chinese recognition and Chinese pinyin input (CJKOS is already on my system)? I really could care less what language my operating system is in but I found that with the Chinese OS the English input was really poor (i.e. I had to lock the option button and type all in caps). Could someone please guide me through setting up my Hong Kong version Treo 680 for Chinese input and recognition after setting up in English, even if I convert to Chinese OS and can find a way to better input English? Thank you!

Bryan Pruden
Graduate Student
Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can get CJKOS to enable Chinese without switching your entire system over to it by disabling its built-in Localizer feature - I believe it's the bottom checkbox in the second options tab. I'm not sure about how to disable its hardware keyboard support, haven't spent much time using CJKOS on a Treo - one thing you can try: bring up the software keyboard (create a new Memo and choose Keyboard from the Edit menu), tap on the box just to the left of the 'A' and '1' at the bottom right corner of the screen and select the English option from that menu (might be ABC or something like that); that should switch CJKOS to normal English input. Tapping on that menu again and selecting 全拼 would get you back to Pinyin input.

CJKOS doesn't include a built-in handwriting recognizer, your Treo may still have shipped with one (check to see if there's an icon for PenP or PenPower) but if not you'd need to buy one separately, which unfortunately has been getting harder and harder lately - if you hunt around, though, I imagine there are still at least a few shops in HK selling copies of PenPower.

ipsi

状元
Yep. The second tab is called 增强,and the localisation checkbox is called 中文化。Just uncheck (or check) that, and everything is good.

I'm also not sure why you're having issues writing English. I've never had CJKOS try to input Chinese while I'm just trying to write normally.

I always have to go into the virtual keyboard by pressing either {menu} + K or {option} + {space}. Even when switched to Chinese localistion CJKOS doesn't prevent me from entering English, so it sounds like you've got something else installed, which doesn't surprise me an awful lot.

Not sure what though, or where the settings are hiding for it.

What's wrong with it, by the way, given that you've just done a hard reset?

bpruden

edit: I got it to work. Thanks a lot. I do have one more question...is there anyway to easily toggle between languages? I see that to input Chinese I have to go to the Edit Tab and click Keyboard. Any shortcuts? Maybe something similar to Windows (alt+shift)?

ipsi

状元
You can select [option] + [space] to access the keyboard provided CJKOS is turned on. Hold down the option key to get this to work.

Or just press the [menu] key, then K.