Search for Dictionary entry in Flashcards

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've already been planning an integrated / live search box in Organize Cards for that - just a matter of getting our flashcard database format updated to make it fast enough.

etm001

状元
This thread focused on flashcard lookup functionality when using dictionaries, but I wanted to mention that reader is another location where quick/easy access to flashcard info would be nice. When I select a word in reader, I can see whether it's in a flashcard set because the " + " changes, but I often find myself asking "Oh, I already have this word in a flashcard? Which set?" etc.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you tap on that [+] button, the duplicate alert has a "Card Info" button you can tap on to find out the card's categories and score.

many

秀才
I would also welcome a Card Info button on the popup screen and for the same reason: when using the Dictionary, to quickly see which flashcard categories I have already that put that word into. I have learnt how to use the [+] button (and "always prompt" settings) for bringing up the Card Info and so appreciate this functionality is already in there, in a sense, hence the proposed button would only save a click - and needs to be balanced against cluttering up the interface with too many buttons that not all users want. (I am using the Android version but I think the issue is similar.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Similar issue, yes. The extra button is indeed the concern - we could consider only displaying it in the full-screen multi-level category selection popup, maybe, since that's already an inherently more obtrusive interface and people might not mind the extra button so much.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure whether my question directly concerns the Card Info button but here it is: In the new Pleco for iPad I'm unable to select a flashcard entry from a specific dictionary (other than default dict) to add to a particular deck. For example, if my default dictionary is ABC but I want to add a flashcard entry for a particular word from my Oxford dictionary instead, it seems that I cannot.

Accessing the Card Info button will let me change an already existing flashcard entry for a particular word, but it the word is new (not already in a deck) then I do not get the option to access the Card Info during the process of adding a card.

My only workaround is to, after adding a card from default dictionary, go to organise flashcards and find my new entry and then change the associated dictionary entry -- which is not as streamlined as in previous versions of Pleco.

I'd be very grateful for any tips to streamline this process please.

AT

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In Settings / Definition Screen there's an option to put a + button next to each dictionary's icon, which should give you the flexibility you want.