REQUEST: radical and stroke flashcards 偏旁,部首,笔画

Z-Lo

秀才
Yo :)

Has anyone got flashcards for learning the names of the radicals and strokes and similar stuff??

I.e., for the radical 氵 what I am thinking of would ideally look something like this (or contain this info in some form or another):

=水 (偏)

中:三点水 sāndiǎnshuǐ
日:三水 さんずい

意:water
例:汉,酒,法,流

Also would like to see names of strokes (笔画) like 横,点,撇 etc. and positions like 偏,旁,脚 etc. I think the importance of learning these are often overlooked and I want to do better myself. I haven't even found a website that treats the matter sufficiently. Anyone know of one? The dictionary doesn't seem to have sufficient entries on things like this.

Thanks!

Z-Lo

秀才
Wow. I downloaded the radical dictionary and flashcards and it looks great! Thank you! I didn't need to start a new thread for this after all.

Some entries, however, seem to have the "names" of the radical (the 氵 entry mentions it, 三点水), while others don't (i.e., 扌). This is the main thing I wanted to study.

For example, 扌 means and essentially is the same as 手 and is pronounced the same (it will appear if you type "shou"), but is also called 提手旁. I have found that Chinese know these names and use them often, especially the most common ones, to talk about characters.

It seems that many English resources do not have complete listings of the names (often calling them "colloquial names"). And it may be that only some of them are in common use among Chinese, but I'm not sure. Some sources call it 俗称 while others simply call it 名称. Some have multiple names.

It may seem complicated, but I don't think it is. I just think it is generally overlooked for students learning Chinese as a foreign language. But it is common knowledge for Chinese and should be considered important study at maybe the intermediate or advanced level. Plus, some of the names can be quite interesting. The same goes for things like the names of strokes (especially the most common).

Good and complete Chinese charts with all this stuff can be found pretty easily by Googling (or Baiduing) 偏旁名称表 or 笔画名称表, but most don't have pinyin or English (but at this level of study it is questionable to what extent English is useful anyway). If I find a good one, like with pinyin at least, I'll post it up here.

ldolse

状元
I wanted to get all the names added, but as you stated, the coverage for this in English sources is extremely weak. I tried asking Chinese friends about this, but it's not something any Chinese person on the street can just help you with, at least in a methodical way - for one thing the discussion doesn't translate to English well, and for another it's too obscure a subject - it's like trying to get a native English or Romance language speaker to tell you about the subjunctive - you'll generally get blank stares or shrugs (maybe not quite that bad, as you're correct they use the common ones to clarify spellings sometimes).

Those links look helpful, I'll look into updating the dictionary.

Z-Lo

秀才
Like I say: You've already done a great job with the dictionary, and I and many others are appreciative. Those links are just examples of some of the first hits that come up in a search. There are many more and probably better ones. You were asking people on the street? ;) Anyway, once I became aware of these words, I started hearing them a lot, I actually don't think it's that obscure. Cheers!

ldolse

状元
Z-Lo said:
Like I say: You've already done a great job with the dictionary, and I and many others are appreciative. Those links are just examples of some of the first hits that come up in a search. There are many more and probably better ones. You were asking people on the street? ;) Anyway, once I became aware of these words, I started hearing them a lot, I actually don't think it's that obscure. Cheers!

People on the street is just an expression, just referring to various Chinese friends :) I do hear a few of them in common speech, true, just commenting on the difficulty getting info about them. Unless they're a paid instructor it's difficult to get more than one tidbit at a time from someone, and many times it's hard to get them to understand what I'm even asking for because I don't know how to describe it well enough in Chinese and the English explanation shoots right over their head.