Request: Extended Search Functionality

Wan

榜眼
Hi Mike (and team, and fellow users)!

The functionality of the wildcard / special character function has changed a lot since the WM version (and, as I understand it, the $@# characters are now obsolete, since Plecodict automatically toggles through functions to find your search term), but I think what I request has not been implemented yet:

I’d like to look for two or more terms and find all entries whose definitions and examples contain these two words, even if they don’t appear in that specific order and don’t directly follow each other.

For example, I might search for “concatenation chain” (or use a special character, e.g. “concatenation ℓ chain” and find the entry for 连锁 in the ABC dictionary, which says “连锁 liánsǔo N. 1) chain; interlocked elements 2) concatenation”. This would be tremendously useful for at least two reasons:

1) I might only remember parts of a definition. This feature would help me find the word.

2) Example sentences are extremely helpful, since there are so many of them, but it’s hard to find a particular one. Looking for a way to express something, this feature might help find the right sentence and thus improve the functionality of Plecodict from just providing a “word by word” translation to delivering context-based examples. Because right now, the example sentences are great, but it’s very hard to find a specific one.

If this is already possible and part of Pleco’s magic, please tell me the right spell :)

gato

状元
How about using the google search syntax?

A plus in front of each required term. Otherwise it's a "non-exclusive or" search.

Thinking about it again, maybe interpreting all keyworss as required might fit the most likely use case better.

mfcb

状元
how about automatically ordering search terms that contain all words first, then all that miss one of them, until at the bottom of the list the results of the search containing only one of the words in the order specified in the search...

would love that feature!

Wan

榜眼
Any ideas on syntax? Maybe just separate words with commas?
Since the usage of technical keys like wildcards was made unnecessary some time ago, why not just take search terms as they are: show lemma matches first and definition/example matches after? Or would that mess with the way Pleco handles search terms at the moment, particularly the automatic language detection? To be honest, the fact that Pleco switches languages at will is not one of my favourite features, but that may just be me.

Edit:
Or, if the automatic switching as it is now is a priority, this multi term search could be triggered by either a single symbol in the beginning, or you could make it a choice in the long tap dictionary menu, like the full text options are.
how about automatically ordering search terms that contain all words first, then all that miss one of them, until at the bottom of the list the results of the search containing only one of the words in the order specified in the search...
Showing partial matches was not what I had in mind, because that would make the result list extremely long and might produce tons of irrelevant results, particularly if you search for more than two terms. It also might require lots of memory or CPU power, I'm not sure.

Last edited: