Question about 肉 and 然's rou4 component

I was looking at the components for 然, and the first one rou4, meat specifically. Then I looked up 肉 (rou4, meat).

So, first, are they the same character? If so, should it mention this in the components section anywhere?

Second, looking at the component tab for 肉, shouldn't it also list 人 as a component?

Thanks.

I just noticed that if you scroll down on the components tab for 肉, that the entry for KangXi radical 130 (rou4) does not display. It displays a blank square instead. It's on the second screen down, with my tablet in landscape orientation. Just above di4, the radical (?) with both versions of "rou4" combined.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
So, first, are they the same character? If so, should it mention this in the components section anywhere?

I believe the top left corner of 然 is an alternate form of 肉, yes.

stephanhodges said:

Indeed it would, but we're weighing now whether to continue developing Components with this data set or whether to switch to a totally different one and limit the current set to stroke order only, so we're not going to do much more refinement of this data until we've sorted tha tout.

stephanhodges said:
Second, looking at the component tab for 肉, shouldn't it also list 人 as a component?

Visually I suppose so, but etymologically I don't believe the two have anything to do with each other.

stephanhodges said:
I just noticed that if you scroll down on the components tab for 肉, that the entry for KangXi radical 130 (rou4) does not display. It displays a blank square instead. It's on the second screen down, with my tablet in landscape orientation. Just above di4, the radical (?) with both versions of "rou4" combined.

Probably a missing font character - in the not-too-distant future we'll be leaving Android system font wackiness behind altogether and shipping our own Chinese fonts, but until then there's not much we can do about these.

Alexis

状元

肉 is a Kangxi radical, and you usually don't breakdown a radical.

And if they did break it down to 人 it would imply cannibalism.