Purchasing?

Hi, I've been using the free version of Pleco for a while and found it to be very useful! I think it's probably about time I think about a smarter way of doing my Flashcards though - I need to focus on what I don't know :) While I've seen Anki recommended I'm hesitant about downloading yet another app, and having to manually enter all my vocabulary again - it took long enough in Pleco using the dictionary/add card option! I'm undecided between the basic bundle and the flashcard option. If I chose the flashcard option then say purchase the basic bundle after Christmas when my bank account is no longer quite so flatlined :D would they be treated as unrelated purchases it would just the difference be charged? Sorry pinching pennies I know.

On a slightly different note does anyone know much about the differences between Anki & Pleco? I've only recently heard of it and while I'd prefer to stick with what I 'know' it'd be interesting to know how the strengths and weaknesses of each compare.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
葛羅德 said:
I'm undecided between the basic bundle and the flashcard option. If I chose the flashcard option then say purchase the basic bundle after Christmas when my bank account is no longer quite so flatlined would they be treated as unrelated purchases it would just the difference be charged? Sorry pinching pennies I know.

No problem! And yes, on Android we do indeed offer that option - you'll have to buy it through our online store rather than through as an in-app purchase, though, since we have no way to give out any user-specific discounts on Google Play in-app purchases. But as long as you do that, you can email us when you're ready to buy the Basic bundle and we'll send you a coupon code so you'll get credit for your previous flashcard purchase.

葛羅德 said:
On a slightly different note does anyone know much about the differences between Anki & Pleco? I've only recently heard of it and while I'd prefer to stick with what I 'know' it'd be interesting to know how the strengths and weaknesses of each compare.

They're fairly similar in terms of features (at least we think so), Pleco is perhaps better optimized around Chinese learning (test modes like fill-in-the-blanks / tone practice) but not quite as rigorously optimized around SRS; you can get the same sort of repetition spacing algorithm that you'd get with Anki, but you have to do more tweaking to get it, and there are a few SRS-related features (like automated leech detection) that are trickier to get in Pleco (have to set up various filters / searches / etc). This is basically because our flashcard system didn't start out oriented around SRS and we've been gradually transitioning it to that system rather than designing around it from the get-go - in another year or so we should be doing SRS more-or-less as easily as Anki does, but we're not quite there yet.