Progress Indicator on First Startup

Shun

状元
Hello Mike,

congratulations on this huge step. Everything seems to work as intended so far.

I have a small feature suggestion regarding the user data conversion from Pleco 3.x to Pleco 4.0. On the first launch of Pleco 4.0, when all user data is being brought (copied) over from 3.2, I would suggest a somewhat more fine-grained progress indication telling the user which area of the app's data is currently being converted, because the whole process can take very long. It took about 20 minutes to do the conversion on my iPhone Xr, now it just finished.

Note to other testers: If anything seems to freeze on its very first use, don't worry! Wait for 10 seconds. Happened to me with the first Pop-up definition.

Regards,

Shun

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
20 minutes is very long... could you email me backups of your current flashcard + user dictionary databases and settings? (from the Legacy app) Also a zip of the 'discarded settings' folder in File Manager / Discarded Databases?

Also, do you have a lot of documents in your reader history, particularly a lot of EPUBs?

Shun

状元
Will do!

I do, I have a lot of everything: flashcards, files, user dictionaries, and EPUBs I've recently read.

I have about 5 GB of files in the old File Manager. With the iPhone Xr's slower flash storage, that may also have contributed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, there's a bit of code that shouldn't be active but is which goes through and opens / vets every document being migrated over; that's our leading suspect on this at the moment.

Shun

状元
I just updated a working Pleco 3.99.1.7 to version 3.99.1.8, but still, Pleco launches much faster now, about twice as fast, without any "Processing..." dialog appearing anymore.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! (there were some other slowdowns on startup with large databases that I alluded to - I think when we profiled it with yours in particular more than half of the startup time was going to inefficiently rebuilding the list of flashcard categories for some strange reason)

Shun

状元
Wonderful to hear! It's fun to push things to their limits. :)

Last edited: