Problem deleting SimSun.ttc file

kearfotty

I wanted to prepare my PPC (HP IPAQ running WM5) for Pleco 2. I uninstalled Pleco 1 successfully (?) using System/Remove Programs, but noticed SimSun.ttc 10M file is still in Windows folder. I cannot delete this file- I get error message: "Cannot delete...another process has locked a portion of the file." I would really like to reclaim this memory. HELP!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try soft resetting (rebooting - there should be a reset switch or you can just remove/reinsert the battery) your Pocket PC, then go into \\Windows\Fonts again and immediately delete SimSun.ttc. If that doesn't work either, rename it to something with a different file extension (say SimSun.xxx), reset again and it should definitely be deletable after that.

kearfotty

Mike,
Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, I had already tried all of the things you suggested. I could not delete the file- I kept getting a "sharing violation." I was able to rename the file, but after renaming it kept coming back with the ".ttc " extension and I still could not delete the file. My PPC comes up running eWallet after a soft reset. I have unsuccessfully tried Resco Explorer, File Explorer and ActiveSync to try to accomplish the delete or rename.
I should also note the SimSun file is in the Windows folder, not in the Windows/Font folder. I have a dim memory of moving this file a long time ago so I could use Word Mobile with chinese characters, but am not sure- it might have been what I did with my desktop computer instead.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks so much

sfrrr

状元
First, try renaming both the font name AND its extension. Then soft reset. If that dosn't work, get SKTools or Kaisoft's file remover or cTitanic's ...I've just blanked on the name but I know it has 2,000 or 2K in the title. There are alo a few other freeware uninstallers, some of which work just fine and others don't even go near a problem like this.

Sandra

kearfotty

Problem update.
I'm pretty sure my problem is a result of originally using Mike's 2006 registry modification (which worked perfectly) pointing Word Mobile to SunSim.ttc. I am guessing that the files sharing violation is because the registry has a hold on the file, and also why when I tried to rename it- including changing the extension- it always resulted in a "newname.newextension.ttc" name which still could not be deleted.
Just wanted anyone with a similar problem to be advised.

sfrrr

状元
Are you comfortable editing the registry? if so, do a search for all instances of simsun.ttc and delete them. Reboot and try again. My disclaimer--editing the registry carries risks.

Sandra