Preview of 1.0.3 for Palm Posted

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1.0.3 will likely be out on Friday, though we may push it to next week because we're very very close to making a big license announcement and we'd ideally like to do that along with the update release. But the preview should be almost identical to the final version.

2.0 won't be out for a long time - right now our best guess is late 2006, but we don't have a firm target and we don't want to shed too many features due to release date concerns, so it could easily take longer.

gandq

探花
@ john113:
thanks for the suggestion. i already configured the ranking system in a way suitable for me. My main problem is the big amount of vocabulary in my lists, so having all incorrect cards restet to rank 1 would be too drastic. i prefer having difficult cards going down in rank slowly, one by one. If they are really difficult, they will get to rank 1 eventually. The "repeat incorrect" feature should, in my opinion, just help to put some additional focus on the problematic cards, maybe even in form of a review rather than another test session.

@ mike:

With regard to the "edit custom entry" screen, couldn't you make it possible to enter tabs? Doesn't the fact that PlecoDict will conserve them mean that they won't cause any problems with regard to the running of the program? Would be of great use to me when exporting and editing lists on my PC!

Apart from that, where is the flag data saved? My User dictionary is still a bit messed up, but if I had to add all flags anew, I would never even think about exporting and reimporting it. Gets me back to my old "automatic flag adding feature" suggestion, which, of course, is a matter of 2.0 rather than 1.0.3. ...

-
Anyway, i hope the fags feature will be further extended. I am thinking of "require flag A but exclude cards with flag B" and "all that are A or B" for card settings. Sorting cards to new lists according to their flags would also be cool (could be done by a "save current list" option).
-

Lastly, what about cut/copy/paste buttons in the edit screen? There's plenty of room. That way, one could easily copy from an external palm doc or just write the chars in the Pleco input field before copying them onto a custom card and would not have to go through the one by one HWR entering the edit screen only does allow.

I hope you don't get me wrong. As I said before: the reason why I didn't post for such a long time (more than 6 months!) is because PD already is such a great program and kept me busy learning and not thinking about possible improvements over the last months. It's just this occasion of an forthcoming update that made me just 抛出一些论调, just in case.

Greetings,

jo.

Instant Access Cut/Paste/Copy

gandq said:
What about cut/copy/paste buttons in the edit screen? There's plenty of room. That way, one could easily copy from an external palm doc or just write the chars in the Pleco input field before copying them onto a custom card and would not have to go through the one by one HWR entering the edit screen only does allow.
Hi Gandaq

I have Found that you can Use Cut/Copy/Paste in the Dictionary Edit Screen
Via Instant Access, ie '/' . :)

Hope This Helps
The Duelist

gandq

探花
@ TheDuellist:
Congratulations on your discovery. However, I was talking about buttons, not the possibility to copy/paste in general.

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gandq - actually the problem with entering tabs isn't the tabs themselves, it's displaying them in the text field. Our custom font system doesn't currently support tab characters (they're rather tricky to get working correctly) - we might add them in a future release, or alternatively replace them with a substitute character like :arrow:, but right now there's no way to actually display a tab in a dictionary entry.

The flag data is saved in your flashcard database (along with all of the other info about each card, like its rank / date created / correct count / etc) so you can delete your user dictionary without causing any harm to the flags. But could you be a little more specific about how the dictionary's messed up? The flag system will most certainly be expanded in 2.0 - we're planning to merge flags and lists together into something called "categories" and let you do pretty much anything with them that you can do with the current lists or flags (along with several other things you can't do with either of them).

And there's only room for copy/edit/paste buttons in the add entry screen on a Palm like yours with a 320x480 display - on most Palms the screen is almost completely filled up. (the blank space next to Cancel / Done isn't blank when you're editing an existing entry) So we can't do much for you there until we completely overhaul that screen. (or merge it into the main dictionary interface, which is something we're thinking about - it would give you the benefit of the on-screen handwriting / radical palettes and toolbar but require a lot less work on our part).

gandq

探花
sounds great!

Mike.

What you are still planing to to with PD really sounds great!

With regard to my UserDict being messed up:
when searching for some entry, the entry next to it will be shown as search result. When I mentioned this before, you said it could have happended when I deleted entries from the Dictionary and the index got messed up. Anyway, it's not that bad - one can still switch to list view and go to the entry one was looking for.

And you are right - with the actual setup of the edit screen, there ist not enough room for three more buttons (I think the screen is the same on a 320x480 device, as only the uper 320x320 are used). Still, there might be room for two more on the left side between "Char:", "PY:" and "Defn:"...

Anyway, I am happy to hear that there is still so much more to come!
加油!

Greetings,

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh yes, I remember you mentioning that bug earlier. We fixed it in 1.0.2, so if you do rebuild your user dictionary it should work smoothly from now on.

I suppose we could squeeze in a couple of buttons in those spaces, but it might be confusing, since people might naturally assume the buttons were related to the fields they were next to (and didn't apply anywhere on the screen). But we'll keep tinkering anyway.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well, the problem with rebuilding it is that all of the flashcards based on user dictionary entries would become INVALID - the flags would still be there but there wouldn't be any entries to link them to. But if most of your flashcards are based on other dictionary entries, this might not be that great a loss.

To rebuild the user dictionary, create a new flashcard list, add all of the entries in your current user dictionary to that list, export that list to a text file (with the "include definitions" option enabled), verify that the definitions were exported correctly by opening up the text file in a text editor, delete your "PlecoDict User DB C-E" file, reopen PlecoDict, and import the exported flashcard list back into PlecoDict - that should give you a clean user database file with all of the entries intact. You can then go through and delete / re-create the INVALID flashcards.