popup definition obscured when keyboard open

When the keyboard isn't open, I have no problems.

When the keyboard is open, I still have plenty of useful space to use the dictionary without dismissing the keyboard via the 'back' button. (I'd have even more if I could get rid of that bothersome input bar, as described in the other thread.) In this context, when I click a character inside the definition, the popup definition has its bottom obscured by the popup definition arrows, which have been forced higher due to the keyboard. Fine, but the popup definition isn't scrollable in this context, which I request. Furthermore, when I hit 'back' in this context, it closes the keyboard, but leaves the popup definition arrows obscuring the bottom of the popup definition, which still can't be scrolled. The popup definition arrows ought to shoot back to the bottom of the screen once the keyboard's been closed, thus freeing up the popup definition for normal use. If I haven't been clear, there's a screenshot attached showing the popup definition arrows continuing to ride high even though there's no keyboard, rendering the popup definition much less useful than it should be.

Attachments

• ObscuredMiniwindow.png
    ObscuredMiniwindow.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 924

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
When the keyboard isn't open, I have no problems.

When the keyboard is open, I still have plenty of useful space to use the dictionary without dismissing the keyboard via the 'back' button. (I'd have even more if I could get rid of that bothersome input bar, as described in the other thread.) In this context, when I click a character inside the definition, the popup definition has its bottom obscured by the popup definition arrows, which have been forced higher due to the keyboard. Fine, but the popup definition isn't scrollable in this context, which I request. Furthermore, when I hit 'back' in this context, it closes the keyboard, but leaves the popup definition arrows obscuring the bottom of the popup definition, which still can't be scrolled. The popup definition arrows ought to shoot back to the bottom of the screen once the keyboard's been closed, thus freeing up the popup definition for normal use. If I haven't been clear, there's a screenshot attached showing the popup definition arrows continuing to ride high even though there's no keyboard, rendering the popup definition much less useful than it should be.

Thanks for the bug report. I think in the keyboard-open context we should probably just make the popup shorter, but we should also reflow the interface when you close the keyboard.

Also, it looks like the sidebar is way too big - sorry about that, must be something wacky in the Galaxy Note's screen size settings. (Android manufacturers seriously need to settle on 2 or 3 screen sizes and be content - designing a UI to work well on every device is darn near impossible as things stand now)

mikelove said:
Thanks for the bug report. I think in the keyboard-open context we should probably just make the popup shorter, but we should also reflow the interface when you close the keyboard.

Actually, I find the pop-up's largeness in this context to be desirable. I'm now using a 12-point font for pop-ups, and I find the pop-up's ability to display a lot of info desirable. The only problem is that you can't scroll in the event of long entries, but especially that the dictionary selection button is obscured. Oh, yes, and the reflow upon keyboard close bug.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
Actually, I find the pop-up's largeness in this context to be desirable. I'm now using a 12-point font for pop-ups, and I find the pop-up's ability to display a lot of info desirable. The only problem is that you can't scroll in the event of long entries, but especially that the dictionary selection button is obscured. Oh, yes, and the reflow upon keyboard close bug.

I agree that it's generally good to have it large, but if it's more than half the height of the available screen space then it's not possible to have it on the screen without it potentially covering up the thing it's highlighting, so we try to size it to less than that.