Pleco recommendation

Krytes42

This app is very good. I only have one recommendation. If you do a writing flashcard, the app automatically marks you wrong. I recommend that you fix that glitch.
-A 10-year-old user

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, is this in the new beta version? Are you doing a writing flashcard where it only lets you draw strokes in the correct order?

Krytes42

Sorry, is this in the new beta version? Are you doing a writing flashcard where it only lets you draw strokes in the correct order?
Yes, it's the new beta version. The version that checks stroke order and snaps strokes in place works fine, although I think he'd appreciate it if we could change the settings to allow a little more leeway (something like "mark stroke incorrect after more than X failed attempts", so that attempting the wrong stroke once and then correcting wouldn't necessarily mark the character wrong).

The problem was with writing flashcards that have more than one character and don't snap strokes. After writing the first character, he clicks 'next character', and the first character shows up in red in the small upper-left-side box, but the writing box doesn't clear:
first character.jpg

So he manually clears the screen, writes the second character, and clicks 'check answer'. Both characters are marked wrong, and the correct first character (and only the first character) is shown on the screen:
second character.jpg

I'm not really sure what the expected behaviour is here.
Manually marking the question correct doesn't seem to change the number of incorrect answers on the scoreboard at the top of the screen, which really annoys my little perfectionist.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, it looks from these screenshots like what's actually happening is that he's still using it in the snap-into-place mode, but then using the option to show a 'sketchbox' above the card and entering his characters there. That's just for taking notes - people like to write in their answers there sometimes for self-graded tests, e.g. - and doesn't factor into any answer scoring.

For the behavior you're looking for, change 'prompt for' to just 'headword'.

Also, on the snap-into-place mode, there's supposed to be an option in settings to let you customize the number of incorrect strokes you can make before it rejects your answer, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll double check it didn't get hidden / deleted accidentally.

Krytes42

Sorry, it looks from these screenshots like what's actually happening is that he's still using it in the snap-into-place mode, but then using the option to show a 'sketchbox' above the card and entering his characters there. That's just for taking notes - people like to write in their answers there sometimes for self-graded tests, e.g. - and doesn't factor into any answer scoring.

For the behavior you're looking for, change 'prompt for' to just 'headword'.

Also, on the snap-into-place mode, there's supposed to be an option in settings to let you customize the number of incorrect strokes you can make before it rejects your answer, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll double check it didn't get hidden / deleted accidentally.
He hasn't used any option that we're aware of to show a sketchbox - the same test session (in "learning" mode) will present some characters with the snap-into-place strokes, and some with the subdivided square. I did set a self-graded writing test where he just clicks on the pen to write the character and marks it himself and that works fine, but that test brings up a blank grey box (not the subdivided square) and has an option to mark 'correct' or 'incorrect' after the answer is revealed.
Whichever mode it is that brings up the subdivided square just marks his answer wrong without giving him an option to grade it himself.

I'll look around for the incorrect-strokes setting, thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, that's the 'pen' icon on the top that's filled in on your screenshot.

The test you want is 'question type' 'fill-in-the-blanks', 'prompt for' 'headword' - the background for handwriting in that test is blue, and it gives you something that looks like the dictionary handwriting input interface with options on the bottom. It's not subdivided because it's just running our handwriting recognizer algorithm and you can draw characters for that at any size, they don't have to fit a particular box.