Pleco for Android 3.2.19

Taichi

榜眼
Xperia z3 tablet compact (SGP621)

Update: never mind! This was because I tweaked the dpi of pleco with xposed framework…

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - ah, that would do it, yeah. Though it suggests that Xposed needs to do a better job of making sure Android still reports the correct display metrics.

gidspleco

3.2.19 is crashing every time. I recently had a O/S upgrade to 5.0.2 on my Z1 Compact. As a result a whole bunch of apps were optimised and updated. Following this I was using Pleco for about 10 mins and then it crashed. It now crashes whenever it is opened. I have logged the google error reports, but am keen to get a fix, revert Pleco version or something please.

Cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Looks like it's crashing in the stroke order box - must have been some change in how they handle the setup of offscreen views. (odd that they'd update you to 5.0.2 when 5.1 is already out)

Anyway, we'll fix that in 3.2.20 but in the meantime it's unlikely an old version would help so instead I would suggest that you delete the stroke order database (so that it won't try to add the stroke order box to the screen). To do that, use a file manager to go onto your memory card, go into /Android/files/com.pleco.chinesesystem/modules/ and delete the folder "10007801."

gidspleco

Looks like it's crashing in the stroke order box - must have been some change in how they handle the setup of offscreen views. (odd that they'd update you to 5.0.2 when 5.1 is already out)

Anyway, we'll fix that in 3.2.20 but in the meantime it's unlikely an old version would help so instead I would suggest that you delete the stroke order database (so that it won't try to add the stroke order box to the screen). To do that, use a file manager to go onto your memory card, go into /Android/files/com.pleco.chinesesystem/modules/ and delete the folder "10007801."

Thanks, this work around works. whats the approximate timeline for 3.2.20?
Australia often is slow on the roll out as they don't make much effort to get software cleared by the local telcos

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not really sure, I'd say 1-4 weeks depending on a) how long it takes us to finish our first update for iOS 9 and b) how many other Android bugs are reported in the near future that we have to address in it. We spent the summer on Android and our intention is to spend the fall on iOS so we kind of want 3.2.20 to last us for a while.

Abun

榜眼
Just noticed that I also have problems with the backspace key in keyboard input: As soon as the ultimate input is in the field, it doesn't work at all anymore (i.e. for Chinese input, I can still backspace until I confirm a character in the keyboard's menu but after that it is locked).

Like the bug I reported earlier, this only occurs with Multiling Keyboard O and not with other keyboards, so I guess it's related. Do you have any idea as to the reasons for the problem? Should I rather send a report to the authors of the keyboard instead? It started occurring after the last Pleco update, though...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're digging into that now - it's entirely possible that this will be an issue with Multiling O rather than Pleco, in which case we'll do the same thing we've done with several other misbehaving third-party keyboards in the past (like SwiftKey) - fire off an email to the creators and put an error message in Pleco when we detect someone is using that keyboard advising them to switch to a different one and explaining why. (in SwiftKey's case this caused the issue to be escalated rather rapidly :) )

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, I think we've managed to work around it, but the issue is definitely on Multiling O's end - they're doing something they really shouldn't be - so while I'm optimistic that we will be able to make it usable in 3.2.20 we will probably also add an alert saying that the keyboard you're using is buggy and you should consider switching to a different one. (and send an email to the makers of Multiling O detailing the issue)

Wan

榜眼
I have a problem with handwriting input since updating: The suggestions in the input field do not get cleared anymore, so with every new stroke I enter, the new suggestion is added after the previous instead of replacing it. The same also happens when I select another character from the list of suggestions at the bottom. For example, if I write the character 真, I end up with "一十十冇百南直真真" in the input field.
Just wanted to say that, even before the latest update of Pleco, there has been an update of Multiling O, and the issue is now resolved. At least I think that is the case because I had not updated Pleco in a couple of days, but there have been one or two updates of Multiling O in the meantime. And it definitely worked again before I updated Pleco to 3.2.20.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Cool, thanks - will see if we can remove the fix from 3.2.20 since it could create other problems.

Miguel

状元
I don't get the flickering vertical line (|) when editing flashcards texts, so sometimes I have no idea where I'm writing (Android 4.1.2).

Miguel

状元
Grayish / bluish #607d8b. Tried to change the color but still don't see it. Missing also in the search window (guess everywhere else too)
Edit: I can see it in the Toolbar Color selection window

Abun

榜眼
Just wanted to say that, even before the latest update of Pleco, there has been an update of Multiling O, and the issue is now resolved. At least I think that is the case because I had not updated Pleco in a couple of days, but there have been one or two updates of Multiling O in the meantime. And it definitely worked again before I updated Pleco to 3.2.20.
I had updates of Multiling O as well, but for me the problem didn't disappear until the workaround was introduced in the last Pleco update (thx btw :) ).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we ended up keeping 3.2.20 unchanged (should be live on Play for everyone shortly), though we'll keep an eye on whether we can roll back those changes in a future update.

We did refrain from putting up a nagging alert since a) it's kind of a dickish thing to do to a fellow small developer (shaming Google or Xiaomi or Samsung or whoever is a different story - even SwiftKey is about two orders of magnitude larger than Pleco) and b) it's not entirely clear it's Multiling's fault rather than Google's (or specific OEMs').