Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 7

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Quicker update this time - we think we're almost ready to release, but a couple of the bug fixes from Beta 6 involved major changes (particularly the clipped text bug in the Chengyu dictionary in flashcards, which actually relates to a long-standing issue in Android's text layout system that had to be painfully worked around) and we wanted to make sure those were solid first.

Also, after going back and forth on the 魚 versus 魚字 issue, we went back to the 魚, albeit a slightly smaller version now - the deciding vote on that was cast by a totally unrelated bit of good news relating to our fish logo which I'll share more about once it's public.

If you already have an earlier beta and you got it through Google Play, it should show up as an update within a few hours. Otherwise, you can get it:

a) Through Google Play. Sign up for our Android Beta Testing group at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pleco-android-beta-testing

And then sign up for beta versions of Pleco at:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.pleco.chinesesystem

after which you should be able to get it right from them. (this isn't up yet but should be in a few hours)

b) Directly from our website; APK at:

http://cdn.pleco.com/androidapps/plecodroid-140605-310b7.apk

The Google Play version makes it easier for us to collect crash reports, so please use that one if you can.

ckatt

状元
still no hui voice in flash cards or the dictionary unless "skip if no recording" is checked.
Nice to see the fish is back :)

HW60

状元
Update - first time via Google - destroys some settings, e.g. order of dictionaries.
HWR "bug" with first stroke of fourth character is still there. I purchased the enhanced HWR from within Pleco, but got some confusing news: more add-ons to download (yes), then "already purchased this product", and according to the Add-ons installed table I have now two HWR, one paid (which I did not) and one free. How can I find out which one is used? At any rate the HWR "bug" did not change by the enhanced HWR. As this "bug" cannot be seen in landscape mode, I think it might be a matter of settings - I did not change many settings for landscape, because I do not use it with Pleco (tablet&phone).

many

秀才
The last couple of betas work really well for me, and seem very stable, thanks. Happy to see the fish back too. I do switch between an older pad and Nexus 5 now and again, copying the .pqb file via Dropbox, so an Android cloud sync feature might be nice in the future.

many

秀才
Oops, spoke too soon, Organize Cards keeps crashing on the pad, which has never happened before. Unfortunately no option to send a crash report, just dumped straight to desktop. After backing up and transferring to the Nexus as above works fine, so I guess it relates to the older Android 4.1.1 only? Rest of the flashcard functionality all seems fine.

I too get crash to launcher on my JB 4.1.2 Motorola bionic when organize cards is selected.
I also have an extra speaker icon rendered at the very bottom of the sentences view as seen in attached screenshot. It does not respond if pressed.
This bug was has been here since the v5 beta using both Google store ver as well as apk from first post, as far as I can tell.
My ROM is a moto stock based one named Raging Bionic 1.6.
It also shows extra icon on my HTC rezound with sense 4 based ICS 4.0.4 ROM.
Screenshot_2014-06-05-06-16-25.png

Last edited:

giokve

进士
Only one dictionary is shown after following a link to a word.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 421

HW60

状元
Open File Reader, list recent files, back arrow (back to dict, exit), and Pleco crashes.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ckatt - that one was definitely fixed on our end; how exactly are your settings configured in Settings / Audio? Have you enabled Cantonese support? And exactly which audio add-ons are currently installed? (extended versions of male / female recordings?)

@HW60 - changing to Google would normally delete settings, actually - not much we can do about that. HWR bug is probably on the rendering end rather than the recognizer end - something to do with a quirk in your tablet's graphics drivers, probably impossible to fix unless we buy/borrow a unit of the exact same tablet to test on.

The "already purchased" is because you transferred your license over from Windows Mobile - anybody who's already paid for handwriting once (on Palm, WM, or iOS) gets the enhanced recognizer for free, just as Palm/WM transfers get our premium handwriting recognizer on iOS for free.

@many - thanks, seeing that too - fix shortly.

@thefriendlygeek - extra speaker icons are actually a database issue in a few dictionaries; should be fixed by updated versions of those shortly.

@giokve - thanks.

@HW60 again - actually not a crash, it's just failing to keep it in the back stack - thanks.

ckatt

状元
@ckatt - that one was definitely fixed on our end; how exactly are your settings configured in Settings / Audio? Have you enabled Cantonese support? And exactly which audio add-ons are currently installed? (extended versions of male / female recordings?)
I seem to have it working now. my audio settings were set to prefer male voice. If I set it to alternating or prefer female then i get the hui voice in flash cards. I don't however get the female voice, the male voice will always play if there is an extended recording. I do hear the female voice in the dictionary though. I do not have Cantonese enabled and i don't have the extended female recordings installed. Haven't tried on beta 8 yet.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, "male" by itself would indeed prevent Pleco from using Hui for headwords - "alternating, male first" actually wouldn't, so you could try that option if you want as much male audio as possible while still using Hui as a fallback.

ckatt

状元
The "already purchased" is because you transferred your license over from Windows Mobile - anybody who's already paid for handwriting once (on Palm, WM, or iOS) gets the enhanced recognizer for free, just as Palm/WM transfers get our premium handwriting recognizer on iOS for free.
I tansferd my licence from palm is but I'm not getting access to the new HWR.