Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 6

ckatt

状元
Some how pleco continued to display the camera after switching from OCR to the flash cards. Even after closing the app and going back and forth between moduals the glitch persisted until the app eventually crashed. I was in night mode when it happened. So far I can't duplicate the bug but I did submit a crash report.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-03-00-34-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-03-00-34-48.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 412

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@giokve - sorry, I typed a reply to your post but it somehow went missing. Anyway, I'm seeing this now that I thought to try it on a tablet - should be fixed shortly, thanks. No way to remove that + button at the moment, we're trying really really hard not to add a lot of options for stuff like that since if we add too many options we might as well not have any at all for all the effort it'll take users to find / change them.

@ckatt - thanks. Are you using the option to have the back button return you to your previous tabs?

tehkatt

Does this release include epub reading capabilities like the ios release? When I try to open an epub file on Document Reader, it crashes the overall app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, EPUB remains an iOS exclusive for the moment. Both EPUB and web page viewing support are waiting on more widespread adoption of Android 4.4, since that added a much much better built-in web browser component, based on Chromium; EPUBs are essentially just .zip archives full of HTML files, so having a better built-in web browser makes it much easier to do interesting things with them and with web pages.

jmu3

@mikelove - The simplified/traditional and night mode settings were lost in my case.
I also found another issue that occurs in the Reader if the popup definition bubble is open. If you tap the search button and then use the sidebar to return to the Reader, there are overlapping buttons displayed.
pleco1.jpg

This also occurred once when going into the settings though I couldn't reproduce it consistently.
pleco2.jpg

ckatt

状元
@mikelove yes I am using that option.
On a side note I think this option should allow the back button to function as the back button for flash cards. Other wise both the home button and the back button will take you to the home screen in a flash card session, which seems unnessasary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@jmu3 - are you using the option for the back button to go back between tabs rather than returning you to the home screen?

@ckatt - I don't know if back in flashcards is a popular enough function for that, to be honest.

HW60

状元
If during a flashcard test you return via back arrow (back to dict, then exit), then start a new test (cancel=yes), Pleco crashes.

The stroke deletion arrow in the top right is very small on tablets, and the area to touch it seems even smaller.

From beta5: "A very very old minor bug: In fill in the blanks, test reading and writing alternating, repeating wrong cards, when the first card of the repetition series is "show characters, ask for pinyin", the screen is ready for HWR input and the keyboard cannot be used. A tap on the brush and everything is OK."

Still from beta5: "If you select a dictionary with tap and hold in reader to get information about the word highlighted and the word is not in the dictionary, Pleco says "Sorry, no definition was found for this character" and displays a "?" at the position of the dictionary abbreviation. Neither tapping on the "?" nor tap-holding lets you choose another dictionary then, you have to tap on the screen to remove the popup dictionary window and highlight the word again."

HW60

状元
I had changed the names of some reader files, opened the reader with "Reopen last file" and got a blank screen. There was no escape from this situation - Pleco always showed a blank screen when I opened the reader again and did not ask again for the file to be opened. The only escape: tap on the top right to save the "file" lets Pleco crash.

ckatt

状元
@ckatt - I don't know if back in flashcards is a popular enough function for that, to be honest.
Fair enough, but it seems like it should have a different function. I don't use back in flash cards that often. Probably only if I accidentally advance to the next card. But in such a case my reaction is to hit the back button, which closes the app. If the back button started a new test that might be OK too, but since I launch the flash cards from the pleco flash launcher icon it doesn't seem logical that the back button returns me to the dictionary either.
There seems to be a bug there as well. If I open flashcards with the launcher, hit back which takes me to the dictionary, then return to the home screen and tap the flash card launcher pleco opens to the dictionary screen but plays the audio from the last flashcard (because I'm doing an audio only test).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@jmu3 - thanks.

@ckatt - I suppose that makes sense - if you start Pleco up from a launcher then it shouldn't backtrack farther than the launcher start point - but since it's ultimately the same Activity I'm not sure how to rectify that with the back stack that you get when you relaunch Pleco from the regular icon or the task switcher.

Seeing that bug here too, thanks.

HW60

状元
In Search Cards there are often default values, which overwrite the input. I tried to search for length=4, which had no result, because Pleco changed the input to length=-3. Then just for fun I tried to search for easiness=110, which Pleco changed to easiness=4.

From beta5: "When in portrait mode, full screen handwriting entry, I write the first stroke of the fourth character of a four character word during a flashcard session, this stroke is immediately erased, but HWR works. In landscape there is no problem." (screenshot). And btw the bottom area above the HWR proposals looks somewhat strange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-04-10-03-08.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-04-10-03-08.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 398

Taichi

榜眼
Batch command -> category does not show the selected category. If i reopen the batch command, category gets updated with the previously selected category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - thanks. Both this HWR bug and the other one you mentioned are bugs we haven't been able to reproduce yet - which keyboard are you using for non-Chinese text input on your device?

@Taichi - thanks.

HW60

状元
@HW60 - thanks. Both this HWR bug and the other one you mentioned are bugs we haven't been able to reproduce yet - which keyboard are you using for non-Chinese text input on your device?
Since beta6 there seems to be a new additional keyboard only within Pleco, which comes up when I enter score limits in flashcards or when I enter figures like length in Search Cards. It seems to be a numbers only version of the standard Samsung keyboard. Screenshot are disabled when the keyboard is active, therefore I made a phote of the keyboard. Actually in entering length or easiness factor in Search Card, only the lower 4x4 keyboard is open which I did not use so far with my Samsung SM-T525. I can enter figures, which Pleco sometimes replaces by other figures. This is not the normal case, but happened two times in a row with length and easiness factor. I could only finish this search by changing the order, searching for category AND length. Afterwards the problem "length" was solved, and the problem "easiness factor" started.

In Score limit I always get both keyboards - I wanted to report already, but had not yet found time. When I enter figures with the 4x4 keyboard and tap OK there, it disappears, and I still have to tap OK on the upper "keyboard" (or just tap only once OK on the upper keyboard).

The HWR bug is easy to reproduce on my tablet in portrait mode, not in landscape mode, but there is no keyboard I need for HWR. I still use the old HWR.

My normal keyboard for non chinese characters is the Samsung Standard keyboard (German).

Attachments

• 2014-06-04 22.55.33.jpg
    2014-06-04 22.55.33.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 394

HW60

状元
I just tried Search Card for all numerical values and was not able to reproduce the above bug.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - Thanks. We finally did manage to reproduce the Search Cards one and the old issue with handwriting reappearing for a pinyin fill-in-the-blanks, but still no luck on that vanishing first stroke issue which seems like it might be something particular to your device's graphics drivers.