Pleco Flashcards and Sentence Audio

rustifer

秀才
Is there any way to force Pleco to use Google's text-to-speech when reading flashcards? Specifically when the flashcard is a full sentence?

Current behaviour:
Pleco announces each character of the flashcard sentence independently as if disconnected from the rest of the sentence. BUT, if I highlight and select the flashcard sentence manually then it uses the Google text to speech and sounds so much better and smoother. How do I force it to do this by default? I've played with every audio related setting and just cannot figure it out.

See below link for what I mean:

I purchased the Qiang enhanced male voice but I don't like it because it's still not as smooth as google's text to speech and it sometimes sounds wonky.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Delete any recorded audio add-ons you've downloaded - and that Qiang voice, if you don't like how it sounds either - and that should force it to use Google TTS. Turning on "use TTS if no recordings" in Settings / Audio might also help.

rustifer

秀才
Thanks Mike. Deleting other audio add-ons resolved it!

I had already deleted the Qiang voice but didn't realize I had a few other audio add-ons installed. Had also tried reinstalling the app. Already had the "use TTS if no recordings" setting enabled.

Is this a bug or intended behaviour, having to delete all audio add-ons?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There are other settings to avoid specific audio add-ons if you don't like them, deleting them just seemed like the easiest choice here since you had indicated that you preferred Google anyway.

rustifer

秀才
Thanks Mike. I did try to go through every audio related setting I could find but still couldn't sort it out. Probably missed one somewhere.

BTW, your app is a godsend. Thanks to you and the team for making it.