Pleco causes sytemfont to display as squares

MPenguin

秀才
I'm running an HTC Touch Pro, which was bought in Taiwan and has a Chinese OS/ROM. It displays both Chinese characters (names of directories, etc) and English Names (Names of several programs, like Activesync).

I have noticed that when I start up Plecodict, that the names of programs running in the Active Tasks dropdown from Windows Mobile 6 changes from English names to a row of squares. If I exit Plecodict, everything returns to normal.

This only affects the Running Tasks dropdown. Nothing else on the system is affected (that I've noticed).
Any insight into why this is happening or what I can do (besides flashing to a cooked rom, etc.).

Thanks.

ldolse

状元
This is due to an incompatibility with Pleco 1.0 and WinMo. Sounds like it messes up different things in the Chinese OS than it does in the world wide english ROMs. For 1.0 the only workaround is to exit 1.0 before launching other windows. 2.0 uses a different text rendering method which eliminates the issue.

jlick

I have the same problem but in my case I've installed the English ROMs on my Touch Pro. However after I did that I installed CE-Star and changed the regional settings back to "China (Taiwan)". This lets me display Chinese in all programs but the menus are still in English. Anyways, the point is that the issue is not strictly limited to Chinese ROMs. But like the other poster said, it's something easily worked around, so not a huge problem.

MPenguin

秀才
jlick, you are in Taiwan using a TOuch Pro? Chunghua Telecom?

I've been thinking about going for a custom ROM (Looking on XDA site) - can you tell me which one you went with and if there are any problems?

I've got no problem with the tech part of it, but I was a little worried that if I flashed ROMEOS or something else, I would seriously mess something up. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated (I'm not Chinese, so I've been fumbling my way through the Chinese menu's thus far).

jlick

I documented the English conversion process I used on my blog: http://blog.jameslick.com/?p=1004

Just remember that this will ERASE ALL YOUR PROGRAMS AND DATA, and there is a possibility of any firmware change voiding your warranty and rendering the phone inoperable.

My Touch Pro uses FarEastTone as the service provider so I can't say if there will be any issues with Chunghwa Telecom or not. I used Chunghwa Telecom previously, but FarEastTone has a better unlimited data plan. I don't see why there would be an issue though as the ROM I used had the same protocol and radio as the pre-installed version.

ldolse

状元
All ROMs have this problem with 1.0, I only meant that the symptoms you described on the Chinese ROM sounded worse than usual. Custom ROMs won't help. The only fix for this is 2.0. It's good enough for every day use now, If it's really bothering you I suggest you jump into the beta forum and install it.

MPenguin

秀才
No, you misunderstand. I can deal with the squares for now without trying the beta. I've just been anxious to use custom ROMs on my Touch Pro so I can try out the improved performance, interface, etc.

The Pleco-squares and custom roms aren't related in any way. Thanks for the heads up, though.