Pleco and Zoom

Nick Rose

Hi
I was hoping to demonstrate to our class how to use Pleco to learn meaning and pronunciation. The purchased audio in the basic bundle has very good audio. We have a mixed class with some coming to class in person and some joining via Zoom. The problem I have is, I can share the Pleco screen on my iPad using the Zoom screen share and go move through some example flashcards without a problem. However, when I do this the excellent audio normally put out by Pleco becomes very weak on my iPad and the person in a zoom meeting at the other end cannot hear it. I have gone through Zoom's help information on sounds and been through various YouTube videos about using the iPad with Zoom without finding a solution. I have checked that I have the latest app versions of both Zoom and Pleco. Is anyone aware of how to fix this problem or is it something within Pleco that prevents Pleco audio working with Zoom.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you tried the “voice volume adjustment” options under Settings / Audio? Also, are you sure that Zoom is set up to broadcast device audio directly, rather than recording the audio your device plays with a microphone?

Nick Rose

Thanks Mike for the quick reply. I had the volume adjustment set at 100% but see it does high. I will experiment with racing those levels and follow up you zoom suggestion.

Nick Rose

Michael thanks for your earlier reply. If I open the Pleco app and run some flash cards the sound is the expected clear audio. If I open Zoom then provided I have not started a meeting I can got back to Pleco and the sound is clear. If I then start a meeting in Zoom and then go back to Pleco the sound is reduced to a whisper. This is without having started any screen sharing in Zoom. So it would seem to be as soon as a meeting is started in Zoom then Zoom takes over audio and reduces the volume of Pleco to almost nothing. I tried the adjusting the "voice volume adjustment" in Pleco (from the current 100% to 250%) but it did not make a difference when a Zoom meeting was active. I logged in to my Zoom account and switched off local and cloud recording. Again there was no improvement.
As a check I started a different audio app and the same problem occurred when a zoom meeting was started. Cleary it's a Zoom problem. Unless you can suggest anything further I will leave it there. Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, does sound like a Zoom problem in that case unfortunately.

Maybe it would work better if you recorded your screen in advance (with the iOS system screen recording feature) and then played a video, rather than broadcasting your screen?